Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by Dogdude
Joined Aug 2012
2,115 Posts
Discussion
CX-20 Cheerson Auto Pathfinder

Cheerson CX-20 Auto Pathfinder Quadcopter / Toyabi CX-20 Auto Pathfinder HK-TF2932

Cheerson CX-20 Swansea Bay Slow Mo GoPro Gimbal (2 min 2 sec)

CX-20 Cheerson Hobbyking Nova Auto Pathfinder Waypoint Mission GoPro (1 min 50 sec)

Update 11th July
It seems that European customers of Hobby King are getting Royaly screwed on the "free" shipping via SCS
The goods get effectively held to ransmom after they land in the EU and the customer gets an email requesting a fee for import duties and handling fees, the costs appear to be disproportionate to the declared value of goods and as SCS claim to have "Bulk processed" the payment of duties you are not given a breakdown of the VAT/Handling charges
e.g. people buying the PnF version for $269 (£157) are getting hit with fees of $112 (£65)
Don't know about you but I smell a big fat stinking rat

Caution !
Just thought I'd update here for the benefit of potential buyers
It seems that at some point some Chinese suppliers were being issued with unit that do NOT have an APM flight controller, I can only guess that this has been due to the very high demand for the units brought on by it's success
Banggood at least now seperate the units into two types so that you know what you are buying
The "Zero" model is NOT APM and therefor has no waypoint ability or ability to update firmware etc, it's an unknown board with dubious flight charactersistics
The "Open Source" model is an APM and has all the funtionality talked about later in this thread
Also some of the mods/videos I made in this thread are effectively obsolete as the later units now already have external ports for USB and gimbal control, also my mod for soldering to tracks for telemetry is outdated by new ways linked to in the thread
Read on through the thread, there's loads of information from great contributors here and most of all get out and do some stunning videos

For the PnP versions and for those wishing to change to their own TX/RX set, as well as installing the receiver and setting up your radio you will need to run the ESC calibration routine and calibrate your radio in Mission Planner

ESC Calibration
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/ini...tup/esc-motor/

Mode switch settings for many different radios
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-six-modes/

Looks very familiar
CX-20 Quadcopter GPS Newest 2014 (3 min 22 sec)

Seems to have all the right functions, anyone got/tried one, I know it's not likely as they're only available on pre-order at the moment

Battery Compartment Size

My Zippy Flightmax 2800mah 3s from Hobbyking fit perfectly with just enough space to tuck the cables away and close the flap

111mm x 33mm x 25mm

111 x 44 x 30 would be the absolute max without modifications, you may be able to use a 5mm longer battery but only if it's also thinner so you can tuck the cables down the side

OK just for you battery capacity hungry folk who like to have to wade through hours of unplanned video to get to a good bit:

There is a way to fit a Rhino 4000mah 3S, a nice short fat battery but you'll need to do some mods

The main power supply board that the flight controller is stuck down on is held down by 4 screws, remove these, place a 6-8mm spacer under each one ( I used 4 x modified stand-offs), that will give the battery clearance you need BUT unfortunately the battery still won't slide in due to the angle it has to enter the compartment at, sooooooo, you will need to cut out the horizontal piece across the top of the battery entry hole, this means that the battery door latch now has nothing to clip on to, so you will need to use a short piece of hook and loop as a door latch, maybe looping through the top half of the quad case and the door itself
You also need to re enforce the join between top and bottom on the quad arms t ensur rigidity

I have done most of the modification just to check but I stopped short of cutting the horizontal piece as I'm quite happy with my flight times

Connecting Telemetry:
Connecting the telemetry to the Cheerson CX 20 (aka the Quanum NOVA)

The blurb.....

Product Name: CX-20 Auto-Path Finder
Size: 30×30×20(CM)
Battery: Li-po battery 2700Mah
Flight Time: Approx 15 Minutes
Radio Control Distance: 1.5KM
Built in 5.8G Antenna
GPS One Key Auto Pilot Return To Home and Land
GPS Lost Signal Auto Pilot Return To Home and Land
GPS One Key Altitude Height Position Hold
IOC Head Lock Function
Low Voltage Protection

ATTRACTIVE AND HIGHLY INTEGRATED DESIGN
A compact and highly integrated design means that it is easier for you to pack it into your backpack. The streamlined design brilliantly reflects the aesthetics of its futuristic design and the fantastic visual effects allows you to become the focus of the crowd. Moreover, you can mount a Go Pro or other light and handy cameras on your Auto-Path finder to shoot some footage from the air which will bring you a brand new flying experience.

READY TO FLY DESIGN
The hardware mounting and software tuning are all done prior to delivery. The Auto-Path finder is ready to fly the moment you unpack it, you just need to attach propellers, charge the Li-Po and install the transmitter batteries before use.

REMOTE CONTROL UNIT
Auto-Path finder contains a remote controller and receiver, which help the user to completely avoid the inconvenience of purchasing such things. The only thing you need to do is to add TX batteries (4x AA ). The 2.4 G ISM frequency makes the effective control distance up to 1.5km. The frequency hopping anti-interference design allows multiple remote controllers to work at the same time, and provides a reliable remote communications link.

STABLE, YET AGILE PERFORMANCE, EASY TO FLY
Auto-Path finder has an integrated flight dynamics system, the MX + GPS multi-rotor autopilot system, as well as the dedicated remote controller and receiver. Flight parameters and functions have been set up before delivery, so you can fly your Auto-Path finder the moment you receive it. The proven stability of the MX autopilot system allows you to easily achieve great flight performance.

TWO FLIGHT CONTROL MODES, INCLUDING POSITION HOLD
With the built-in MX autopilot system plus a GPS module, the Auto-Pathfinder has GPS Attitude and Attitude Control Mode. Pilots can switch between the two modes to achieve a particular flight experience.

INTELLIGENT ORIENTATION CONTROL (IOC)
Auto-Path finder also has the Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) function of the MX autopilot system. Usually, the forward direction of a flying multi-rotor is the same as the nose direction. By using Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC), wherever the nose points, the forward direction has nothing to do with nose direction: In course lock flying, the forward direction is the same as a recorded nose direction. In home lock flying, the forward direction is the same as the direction from home point to the multi-rotor

FAIL SAFE & AUTO GO HOME/LANDING
Auto-Path finder also has the fail safe function of the MX autopilot system. This means when the communication between the Mx Controller and the transmitter is disconnected, the out puts of all command sticks from controller will go to the centre position, the GPS system will automatically trigger Return To Home and will land safely.

LOW VOLTAGE PROTECTION
Auto-Path finder also has two levels of low voltage protection, a function of the MX autopilot system. It prevents your multi-rotor from crashing or other harmful consequences caused by low battery voltage. In the first level of protection, the LED indicator blinks and makes a sound of “Bi-Bi-Bi” to warn you. In the second level protection the system will trigger the Auto-Path finder to land automatically.

MAXIMUM FLIGHT SPEED 10 M/S
The maximum horizontal flight speed of the Auto-Pathfinder can reach 10m/s and the maximum vertical speed is 6 m/s. The perfect combination of speed and stability allows you to experience the glamour of Auto-Path finder.

HIGH INTENSITY LED LIGHTS, TO AID ORIENTATION DURING FLIGHT
Under each arm of the Auto-Path finder there is high intensity LED indicators which are used to help you to see the orientation during flight.

GOPRO CAMERA MOUNT (CAMERA NOT INCLUDED)
Auto-Pathfinder has an external removable camera mount for you to mount light and handy cameras (Go Pro for example) or other video shooting electronic equipment. It is very convenient for you to record your flight.

10-15 MINUTES OF FLIGHT TIME
Auto-Path finder includes a 3S LiPo 2700mAh Battery, and a balance charger.

With the all-in-one design and light airframe, the flying time could last up to 15 minutes plus which will give you a more extensive flight experience.
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Last edited by Dogdude; Oct 08, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2014, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by Dalite
Brunswick, Georgia - USA
Joined Jul 2005
169 Posts
Bang Good just dropped the price to $298 and change.
Dalite is offline Find More Posts by Dalite
Old Mar 06, 2014, 03:26 AM
Find More Posts by Dogdude
Joined Aug 2012
2,115 Posts
That's gotta pee off those who pre-ordered and haven't even received yet LOL
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Mar 06, 2014, 04:44 AM
Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Suspended Account
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
6,534 Posts
Its nice pricey, lets see if it works as fine as the Phantom.
GhostMaster is offline Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:17 AM
Find More Posts by baxter
Spain, PV, Las Arenas
Joined Jun 2009
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalite View Post
Still 329.98$ when I list it, even logged in...
baxter is offline Find More Posts by baxter
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by BenHayat
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,516 Posts
Quote:
How do you get $298? Link to $298?
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:03 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,516 Posts
From one close up video, it looked like you can fit in a 3200 battery in there as long as the length is the same as 2700. That should give more flight time.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:50 AM
Brunswick, Georgia - USA
Joined Jul 2005
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
How do you get $298? Link to $298?
No link

They changed my pre-order to $329 from $298. It was $335, them $298, now $329.

Wonder what they will be when they are actually available for sale.

We are witnessing a vapor ware pricing survey.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:10 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,516 Posts
Quote:
No link

They changed my pre-order to $329 from $298. It was $335, them $298, now $329.

Wonder what they will be when they are actually available for sale.

We are witnessing a vapor ware pricing survey.
I don't trust any of these dudes. Once it's selling, they I give them my money with fingers crossed not to get screwed.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:42 AM
Brunswick, Georgia - USA
Joined Jul 2005
169 Posts
FWIW, they won't charge me anything until it is available to ship. It was supposed to be available the first week of March. I will probably buy another Phantom and let someone else pay retail to beta test the CX-20 with no replacement parts available, and no dealer network. Still, it is an interesting quad at a nice price point. For me, too many fumbles so far for me to trust them to reach the goal posts.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:25 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,516 Posts
Quote:
For me, too many fumbles so far for me to trust them to reach the goal posts.
Why do you say that?
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:46 PM
Brunswick, Georgia - USA
Joined Jul 2005
169 Posts
3 price changes so far and nothing to sell.

No parts availability

No stateside dealer support

If it arrives at my doorsetep and I break a prop, or landing gear, it is a paperweight until they establish and stock a support network.

Don't get me wrong; I am very impressed at the features vs the price point.

But, based on 3 items I have ordered in February, 2 have been received so far and one of them was not what they had advertised on their website.

I have inquired about the item that has not been received, also twice about the incorrect item - Crickets..........
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:51 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,516 Posts
Quote:
3 price changes so far and nothing to sell.

No parts availability

No stateside dealer support

If it arrives at my doorsetep and I break a prop, or landing gear, it is a paperweight until they establish and stock a support network.

Don't get me wrong; I am very impressed at the features vs the price point.

But, based on 3 items I have ordered in February, 2 have been received so far and one of them was not what they had advertised on their website.

I have inquired about the item that has not been received, also twice about the incorrect item - Crickets..........
The only way I will buy that quad will be if I can order extra Props, Battery and prop guard at the time of ordering the quad. No spare parts, no quad ordered.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by baxter
Spain, PV, Las Arenas
Joined Jun 2009
143 Posts
Changed from PRE-ORDER to BUY IT
It seems it is available already, but price remains ay 329$

By the way, you have all the spare parts listed at Banggood, propellers set at 10 $ !!! Not very competitive price....
baxter is offline Find More Posts by baxter
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:25 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter View Post
Changed from PRE-ORDER to BUY IT
It seems it is available already, but price remains ay 329$

By the way, you have all the spare parts listed at Banggood, propellers set at 10 $ !!! Not very competitive price....
I must be looking at the wrong site http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-....html?bid=1237 Because I don't see where the list *RELATED* parts for the craft. Can you provide the link that shows spare parts?