HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Soma, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:42 PM
http://www.fpvportugal.com
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
3,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
Here is the link http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html
the one review says that the ESC weighed 12grams
Thanks.
GhostMaster is online now Find More Posts by GhostMaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:36 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,850 Posts
Soma, this is top work. The kinda stuff that the motor manufacturers should be putting out freely.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:40 PM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
3,625 Posts
Did anyone tested this props: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ting_6pc_.html

They look very similar to the HQ 6x3...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:37 PM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,598 Posts
Thanks for the interest everyone!!! And I'm glad people are finding it useful, that makes it all worthwhile. I have to head out now so I'll try reply to all the points when I get home. Just quickly though....

I'm doing the best I can do at the moment, with the gear I have, just remember though, these tests are with a full lipo and won't compare properly with other's tests at nominal voltage. I wish I could do both, but I'm trying to make sure I know what my flying setups are doing at a full charge at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by transient View Post
Amazing, you can tell just by ear which props are too pitchy and significant voltage drop happens in the first 5-10 seconds. But wow these things are seriously impressive

I picked up 5 of them for a 250-300 size frame along with a bunch of the 6x3 props, looks like it will be absolutely nuts, I will be using 1800 3S 40C packs, BS12 ESCs and a Naze32 board.
I wanted to reply to this because that's exactly why I included the videos! So well picked up on that mate. The audible pitch gives a good feel of how the motor is taking the load. You can just hear it strain too hard when its been pushed too far. I'm trying to find that point where its starting to find it hard on the bench (around 70% free RPM) and that seems to go well in the air.

Quote:
Was thinking these would be the perfect fool-resistant connection between the 2204 and ESCs

Deans 3 pin connectors http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKX41&P=7
You're absolutely right mate, these are great connectors for up to 15 amps. I've had this in mind for a while too and will present an idea on it as soon as I have time. Deans used to make unpolarised 3 pin connectors too, but they are discontinued. You can also cut the lone pin off the 4 pin ones if you want a universal 3 pin
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDKA6&P=ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthCopter View Post
Query, Soma: Do you think the fact that the FC6045 props are plastic, as opposed to the CF mix HQProps, is a problem or limitation?

I fly my small quads with bright props (orange or green) up front, and black props in the back. But it looks to me like your orange-in-front, green-out-back setup provides even better visibility and orientation for fast acro flying. Any comments on prop color and visibility you would like to share?

Also, I think I remember you mentioning that HQProp might produce their props in colors. That would obviously be great for small fast quads, like some FnBL's and the Warpquad, which are are a visibility challenge. Any news on HQProp colors?

Hi Mate, the HQ Prop carbon / nylon are much better flying props than nylon as they are more rigid. I can't see my copter in all black where I fly, so the colour helps me keep track of it as well as orientate. I used to to use orange and black, but orange and green show up much better as you're not guessing which way the quad is facing from not being able to see the black.

HQ Prop is not planning coloured props for general distribution at the moment. I have asked them about a special bulk order in orange and green for my frame. I'm sure if there was enough need for it they would produce them for general distribution. Their 8x4.5 might be a good place to start there, I'll talk to them about it and see if they want to branch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Holy crap, Soma... That is some pretty insane flying.

Would love to send you a 258 carbon fiber frame for you to put it through this treatment. Just say the words and I'll have it in the mail for you.
Thanks for the kind offer Chris! I'll send you a PM when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Nothing sums up what I think of your quad better than an Aussie using colorful language as only an Aussie sailor could. Nsfw language in this video but it's hilarious. Quality is bad in the video but it's worth watching the whole thing just for the language lol. I've sailed with Aussies before and can confirm this is accurate sailing language there.

http://youtu.be/NHxFBjkaoYM?t=2m50s

JustinL
HA!!! Yup that sounds just like Oz mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMaster View Post
Did anyone tested this props: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ting_6pc_.html

They look very similar to the HQ 6x3...
I think you might need to drill them out from the look of the centre hole???

Cheers all!
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:11 PM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
3,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post

I think you might need to drill them out from the look of the centre hole???

Cheers all!
Yes, i have some, they need to be drilled, but they look very similar to the HQ 6x3...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:38 PM
Registered RC Abuser
United States, NY, Bernhards Bay
Joined May 2006
373 Posts
Yes Soma, would be great if someone made a mini ESC with data logging, short of that you are doing these tests as real-world as you can and we all respect that very much.

I am stunned by these motors' performance, and as a first time mini builder I'm more than happy to not have to deal with HK. I have a feeling Mr. MRSS is going to move buckets of these!
transient is offline Find More Posts by transient
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Thanks for the kind offer Chris! I'll send you a PM when I get home.
Please do!

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:49 AM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
706 Posts
Quote:
Yes Soma, would be great if someone made a mini ESC with data logging, short of that you are doing these tests as real-world as you can and we all respect that very much.

I am stunned by these motors' performance, and as a first time mini builder I'm more than happy to not have to deal with HK. I have a feeling Mr. MRSS is going to move buckets of these!
so far so good
p0st4L is offline Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:10 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,598 Posts
Quote:

That would be amazing! To have real world results like that would be great. I'm sure it won't be long, given the rate multirotors are progressing!

So exactly how many motors in a 'bucket'? Sounds like a good way to buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0st4L View Post
so far so good
So what's the price per bucket mate?

HQ Prop 6x3 Flight test.

I had a chance to test the 6x3's on the warpquad today. Slightly less speed from the lower pitch, but heaps of traction and bite, which should suit heavier FPV quads perfectly.

You can hear the motors have more power in reserve with the 6x3 on this lightweight quad, and that reserve should go to good use carrying FPV gear and still remain agile...

Not the best vid... or flying Its a bit hard to see the quad (try HD & fullscreen on Vimeo) but the sound is very revealing of just how quick the quad responds with these props.

HQ Prop 6x3 on Warpquad (3 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:24 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,954 Posts
Put a 4S on it! > Rawwr
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:37 AM
Professional UAV Services
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,415 Posts
Great work as always mate, will have to catch in the coming weeks for a fly.

Good to see that all testing was done under your usual strict high standard "shirtless testing environmental conditions"
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:15 AM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0st4L View Post
so far so good
Yes and you are a great guy to do biz with, two big thumbs up
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:29 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Put a 4S on it! > Rawwr
I'll edit the vid of the 4S test I did at the same time to show the de-sync I had with the BS30A ESC. I went to redo it with an Ultra ESC, but its specs listed a top RPM below what would have been achieved with 2300KV and 4S. Maybe the KISS ESCs have a higher RPM limit?

4S is in my sights, just need an ESC to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner View Post
Great work as always mate, will have to catch in the coming weeks for a fly.

Good to see that all testing was done under your usual strict high standard "shirtless testing environmental conditions"
Thanks man and that sounds good, I've hardly had time to fly at all lately!

Sorry about the attire! I hoped noone would notice

Just to put a better image in your head, Chip Geek linked me to www.soma.com this morning. Can't believe I've never looked before!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:56 AM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
373 Posts
Quote:
Just to put a better image in your head, Chip Geek linked me to www.soma.com this morning. Can't believe I've never looked before!
I was looking for your vids a few days back, put 'soma' in the Vimeo search and see what ya get
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:11 AM
Team WarpSquad
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mate, the HQ Prop carbon / nylon are much better flying props than nylon as they are more rigid. I can't see my copter in all black where I fly, so the colour helps me keep track of it as well as orientate. I used to to use orange and black, but orange and green show up much better as you're not guessing which way the quad is facing from not being able to see the black.

HQ Prop is not planning coloured props for general distribution at the moment. I have asked them about a special bulk order in orange and green for my frame. I'm sure if there was enough need for it they would produce them for general distribution. Their 8x4.5 might be a good place to start there, I'll talk to them about it and see if they want to branch out.
A special bulk order of color carbon-nylon props would be brilliant, Soma! Didn't the 2300KV version of the SunnySky X2204 start out as a custom order as well? I sure hope you and HQProp can work out an agreement!

From your perspective, being an exclusive provider of color HQProps would make people more likely to buy whole-quad packages from you, as opposed to just the Warpquad frame. I know that if I could order a Warpquad, 2204 motors, and color HQProps in one strike, that would be a no-brainer. Maybe you could even offer packages with Lemon Flip Pro and/or Flyduino with KISS ESC!

Quote:
[A small ESC with built-in telemetry] would be amazing! To have real world results like that would be great. I'm sure it won't be long, given the rate multirotors are progressing!
I wonder whether Graupner will offer small ESCs with built-in telemetry. They already have a selection of larger ones, some of which might be useful for bench-testing one motor at a time.

Quote:
So exactly how many motors in a 'bucket'? Sounds like a good way to buy!
I believe there are 200 motors to your SunnySky bucket, Soma! Hope that up-front investment pays dividends going forward, and that you can work out a colorful "bucket deal" with HQProp, too.

Quote:
I had a chance to test the 6x3's on the warpquad today. Slightly less speed from the lower pitch, but heaps of traction and bite, which should suit heavier FPV quads perfectly.

You can hear the motors have more power in reserve with the 6x3 on this lightweight quad, and that reserve should go to good use carrying FPV gear and still remain agile...
The sound of the 6x3 props is much more pleasant to my ears! That alone would make me opt for the lower-pitch HQProps. However, what is most striking about this video is how hard it is to see a fast quad with all-black props. At full speed, the all-black Warpquad is invisible!

This highlights -- pun intended -- the critical improvement of your orange-in-front, green-out-back color prop arrangement. Right now, we are forced to compromise visibility for performance or compromise performance for visibility. Finding a source of color-coded carbon-nylon props would let what is already a very well-balanced system reign supreme.
Brainstorm is offline Find More Posts by Brainstorm