SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Soma, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 05:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Oct 2013
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMaster View Post
SimonK 2013-05-15 and use the KKmulticopter Flash Tool from http://lazyzero.de/en/.

Select Atmel8 + bootloader and the bs_nfet.hex from the firmware package.
Name: photo 1.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 95.4 KB
Description: Name: photo 2.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 88.6 KB
Description: Name: kk settings for flashing simonk.png
Views: 34
Size: 161.4 KB
Description:
Thanks..
Now where are my sunnysky's.
(just quietly.. is there something as good as these or better I could be buying... I can't wait much longer)
Gibbedy is offline Find More Posts by Gibbedy
Last edited by Gibbedy; Apr 01, 2014 at 05:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2014, 06:28 AM
Australia, NSW, Faulconbridge
Joined Aug 2013
35 Posts
(Long shot)

Is there any way to read a (supposedly) flashed BS12a ESC to determine what firmware is on it?
baggytrowsers is offline Find More Posts by baggytrowsers
Old Apr 01, 2014, 06:40 AM
Joined Sep 2013
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbedy View Post
Attachment 6642989Attachment 6642990Attachment 6642991
Thanks..
Now where are my sunnysky's.
(just quietly.. is there something as good as these or better I could be buying... I can't wait much longer)
Best to wait... only a couple of weeks away now.
geggog is offline Find More Posts by geggog
Old Apr 01, 2014, 02:30 PM
I'm going flying..........
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
648 Posts
Well, well, well..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmrpm View Post
Got some HQprop colored fiberglass in today. Left (yellow) is GF 5x3, middle (black) is fiberglass HQ 5x3 and right (orange) is FC 6x4.5

Compared to the GF you can see the slightly wider cord, bigger hub and blade attachment. They are stiffer than the GF but not plasticy ridged like the FC.

These HQprop colored/fiberglass should be very popular I think for the following reasons.
Stiffer then Gemfans.
But still flexible for durability.
Not plasticy like the FC.
States availability at multiple places.

I can't wait for the HQ fiberglass 6x4.5 should be the perfect motor class prop.
Power tests to come.
Well, well, well. I guess this is why we test. In flight might be different but this is not what I expected for static amp/watt numbers.

Bench numbers, LiPo recharged after each test than ran for 10-15sec before taking readings on SunnySky x2204s

GemFan 5x3 = 25amps and 280 watts

HQ fiberglass/colored 5x3 = 22amps and 250 watts

Not in the same "league" but I wanted this as a bench mark cause it is what I have been flying the SS's on.
FC (Himodel) 6x4.5 = 45amps and 500 watts

I did not believe it so I redid the test 3 times, each time HQ fiberglass are lower power then GF.

Other thing I noticed was the recessed ring on the prop hub top surface. Stock SS prop acorns cover this no problem. But those that like to do Nyloc nuts may have a issue. I was able to tighten the one in the pic.
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Old Apr 01, 2014, 03:38 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
611 Posts
That's quite interesting.
I'm wondering if the decrease performance in flight is due to the chord geometry.
If I'm not mistaken (please someone chime in) from pictures and comments I've seen on threads is that the HQ props have wider chord than GF props, closer to the hub.

On your quad there, the arms appear to be wider than most other mini-quad arms or testing rigs, so a fair amount of thrust gets "lost" and/or it could be causing feedback turbulence so airfoils are not biting into clean air, hence the decrease in power. Your quad is suffering from the chubby-arm syndrome !

That's just a guess..... of course. I'm sure there are other factors as well..... such as, testing all 4 motors at same time, test rig only tests 1, battery discharge rate? - you've probably got that covered by a high-C batt.... mmm can't think of anything else.

Thanks for sharing!
EngineerX is online now Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2014, 03:55 PM
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
2,809 Posts
I flew the HQProps fiberglass composite on my mini-h yesterday... The black props are more fragile than the orange. I would characterize as very similar to their carbon composites. Performance wise, a bit more bite in the air than the GF, but a little underpowered on initial lift-off. Again, similar to the performance of the carbon composites, but possible a bit more lift. Sorry not very quantitative, but just some observations.

The motor shaft adapters are interesting. The ID of the hubs are 5mm and fit the SS perfectly. Without the shaft adapter on the bottom, the stepped hub seems to fit perfectly on the SS bell. I use lock washers which elevate the nut above the lip of the hub... so that wasn't an issue for me.
KC_703 is offline Find More Posts by KC_703
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:15 PM
Professional UAV Services
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX View Post
That's quite interesting.
I'm wondering if the decrease performance in flight is due to the chord geometry.
If I'm not mistaken (please someone chime in) from pictures and comments I've seen on threads is that the HQ props have wider chord than GF props, closer to the hub.

On your quad there, the arms appear to be wider than most other mini-quad arms or testing rigs, so a fair amount of thrust gets "lost" and/or it could be causing feedback turbulence so airfoils are not biting into clean air, hence the decrease in power. Your quad is suffering from the chubby-arm syndrome !

That's just a guess..... of course. I'm sure there are other factors as well..... such as, testing all 4 motors at same time, test rig only tests 1, battery discharge rate? - you've probably got that covered by a high-C batt.... mmm can't think of anything else.

Thanks for sharing!
GF props are actually 5x3.5" and the HQ are 5x3" so the GF pull a little more current and produce a little more thrust due to the slightly higher pitch. The HQ's have more "bite" in the air due to 2 factors, mainly because the blades are not flexing anywhere near as much as the GF along with the fact they have a lower pitch.
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:27 PM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,518 Posts
Also HQ Prop are about to introduce a 5x4
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:46 PM
I'm going flying..........
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
648 Posts
So HQ is going to have a 5x3, 5x4 and 6x4.5 in colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post

I do believe it is being under utilised in the majority of applications using 5 inch props, and I hope these figures will encourage growth in frames designed for 6 inch props, (Particularly the HQ Prop 6x3 on 3S), to fully take advantage of the power we now have at our disposal.

Matching motor and prop is necessary to get every ounce of performance from the system, and it is a highly dynamic equation. I believe the perfect balance with the SS X2204S 2300KV on 3S is the HQ Prop 6x3 for all-round & heavier applications (such as mini FPV), and the FC 6x4.5 prop for lightweight acro frames.
So interesting test flight today that goes along with the OP "under utilized" comment above. After being a little let down by the HQ 5x3 fiberglass prop numbers. I stuck the FC6x4.5's on a 300mm, 400G w/o Lipo machine & gave it a little P&I tune-up in the drive way. Then just before sunset took it over to the back field and just flew the crap out of it seeing if I could get some heat in the motors (I have 20amp ESC's) After it hauled 400g plus a 3cell 1800 around for 2 back to back flights. Just barely warm. I had really good performance, not crazy good, but enough to satisfy most I suspect. Can't weight to get this motor/prop combo over with some 12amp ESC's on a light 250mm frame. Should be a monster, might even need to "back it down" with those HQ colored 5x3's
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Apr 2013
49 Posts
Not sure if anyone has seen this new offering from T-Motor...

http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/201..._0124/191.html

Looks pretty great!
HighFlier19 is offline Find More Posts by HighFlier19
Old Apr 02, 2014, 01:11 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,518 Posts
Thanks for the report RPM. That's very good to hear that they took that load without heat!

Thanks too Highflyer, I have my eye on those motors for a smaller quad They have a new 2204 too, but with different mount dimensions to the SS2204.
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2014, 03:30 AM
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Oct 2013
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggog View Post
Best to wait... only a couple of weeks away now.
I don't want to, but I think I'm going to have to buy some of these if I can get my hands on them.
Name: image.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 181.3 KB
Description:

I need a 250 fpv rig for Easter.
Where's the best place I should get these?

You recon they could spin a 6x3 on blue12a for fpv flying (no acro)?
Thanks.

Edit: delete this post soma... Nothing available anywhere it seems. I might just up the props on multistar 1804's and fly with smoke coming out of them.
Gibbedy is offline Find More Posts by Gibbedy
Last edited by Gibbedy; Apr 02, 2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:12 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jun 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMaster View Post
SimonK 2013-05-15 and use the KKmulticopter Flash Tool from http://lazyzero.de/en/.

Select Atmel8 + bootloader and the bs_nfet.hex from the firmware package.
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but how's the 2014 Simonk build for 12A BS / Sunnies?

Should we be sticking to the 2015-05-15?
Strepto42 is offline Find More Posts by Strepto42
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:14 AM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
3,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strepto42 View Post
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but how's the 2014 Simonk build for 12A BS / Sunnies?

Should we be sticking to the 2015-05-15?
SOme say it works fine, but the safest build its the 2015-05-15, that firmware works fine on the SS2204 2300kv.
GhostMaster is online now Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:31 PM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
got a few 2204s available. hurry!

http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com/...ess-motor.html
p0st4L is offline Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member