HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:29 AM
Joined Dec 2010
57 Posts
Discussion
Guillows #905 P-51D freeflight warbird

Started this one this weekend. Coming from laser cut kits some of the fits are a little disappointing but I got kit from Hobby lobby with 40 percent off coupon.....for 8 bucks the plans are beautifully drawn and a pleasant build. I have heard flights of 30 seconds to 59 seconds are possible if built and trim well. As a kid I could never get a war bird to fly...I am looking forward to see If my build skills have improved. I imagine the flight times where without the rather heavy landing gear supplyed with kit. Also noticed the dihedral is quite a bit which may explain why this kit will fly. Pics coming soon!
hunterdude is offline Find More Posts by hunterdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2014, 02:37 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
Here's mine.
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:23 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
Be sure to take note of the two wing semi-span root ribs on the plan. Both are set at an angle for dihedral and bowed inward to fit flush up against the slightly curved surface of the fuselage sides.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:12 PM
Joined Dec 2010
57 Posts
Very nice camo and build Mr Matthews...have you flown her yet? what is a good build all up weight for good flight performance with this kit? I did notice the angled balsa part. I glued ribs in starting with tip and worked in to land gear area rib...glued angle part to that rib..then inner most rib to angle part to create bow...seems to dry fit well to fuse sides. I just noticed you upgraded to what appears to be PP silver prop? And much larger than stock? Do you like it? I have much to learn about trim and good prop and motor selection...thank you for sharing your pics!
hunterdude is offline Find More Posts by hunterdude
Last edited by hunterdude; Feb 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typos
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:04 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
Hunter, I haven't flown this model yet. I have exchanged the stock prop for a larger 7" for other models the same size and it works okay. Yes, it is a Peck. i'm going to exchange the Pecks for the Czech props, they are better. Larger props are more efficient. I'm glad you took care of the root ribs. I have several planes I'd like to maiden fly this coming season, the P51 included. I'm thinking a single loop of 1/8" might be enough. If you use a second layer of tissue for camo, apply it with dope instead of Elmer's white glue. Just brush on a coat over a couple of dry coats of dope and then brush another coat over the camo layer. Elmer's changed their formula a few years ago. It is stronger but it doesn't like a coat of dope on it.
Last edited by kevin matthews; Feb 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM.