HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RCWorks, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 05:19 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,644 Posts
Discussion
HobbyCNC ProBoard...

I just got this built up and have done the 5 Volt test and then added the driver chips as per documentation

Test voltage is 5.03 Volts.

This makes the 4th controller I have built and I have not had any failures either from the build or from use. This is an excellent product and I could not recommend it any higher...

I have yet to test it's final function but if it's like the last 3 I have no fear that it will work when it get added to the controller chassis.(A retired CD Duplicator case.)
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,644 Posts
I know there are those that will ask and YES this will get heatsinks on the driver chips.

I bought some a few years back just to have them and to use them for this I will have to cut them in half. Luckily I have a hacksaw to split then and a mini mill to clean up the cut edge.

Now I just need to relocate them... I know about were they are I had them out just before the weather sent my old butt indoors with the cat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:07 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Hi would you recommend this board for a beginner?
Artful Owl is offline Find More Posts by Artful Owl
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:07 AM
Joined Aug 2003
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Owl View Post
Hi would you recommend this board for a beginner?
Can you solder IC chips well? There is some skill involved. I don't think much of it but I started assembling cassette tape interfaces back in 1975 for World Famous "Tarbell Electronics". They were for IMSAI and MITS Altair 8080 / Z80 based computers. So at this point it's a skill I have but I guess I don't give it the credit it deserves.

A guy that takes an old PC board and practices soldering before doing the real thing will improve the odds of success. Many guys build them without a hitch.

While I think the instructions are idiot proof I have seen an idiot fail to build a working board twice, I have them both. He sent them to Dave the designer and vendor and he could not figure out where the guy went wrong. One day I will pull the db25 connector and the stepper connector off and re-solder them and pull off the driver chips and retest the board from the 5 volt reference voltage test. If that goes well I will put on a new set of drivers and try it. If that fails I will be all over it with the scope and DVOM. They are not on my front burner at the moment.

There are other options for a 4 axis controller prebuilt.

Gecko Drive

4 Axis TB6560 CNC Stepper Motor Driver Controller Board 4 Axis

You could also find a party to build you a working board.

The controller will dictate the type of stepper motors you will need...

HobbyCNC boards use Unipolar, the Geckodrive and Toshiba boards I listed are Bipolar.

Also you will need to get either a Warp9 board or a GGC Version 2 board to use these with a PC using Windows XP or later. LTP1 ports are not usable after Windows 98. These boards will let you use your USB ports.

I have a Geckodrive going in on my mill/router.

While Dave at HobbyCNC says his boards are not commercial units I have used them in a commercial environment without failure.

Does that help?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Hi RC Works thanks for taking the time out for this reply to my question.

I believe I have the skill skill to solder this board. I started soldering about 6 months ago and I love it. To date iv made a little preamp and a low voltage battery indicator, kits I bought for an electronics store.

I like your idea of practicing on an old PC board I had not thought of doing this. Im still unsure if I will go ahead with a CNC router Im having trouble justifying the time and expense it will take to build and also will I have enough work for a CNC to do.

Its all still very new to me. How ever I have started reading and learning so if the time dose come Il have a good understanding. One last quick question Do you need to know how to use a CAD Program for designing?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:19 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Owl View Post
Do you need to know how to use a CAD Program for designing?
Some, I am still learning. I am using BobCAD which has more features then I think I will ever get to.

The CAM section is the harder part.

My mill is just about done, I got sent indoors for the summer and had just a short fall before winter hit and we got freezing temps for most of it. But I will be out today working on it. I will post it in a blog...

Mine is built from a lot of 80/20 stock and I bought a piece of aluminum plate for the table surface. If I choose to route some wood plastic or foam I will put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood over my table. I also opted for a real 220v spindle motor with a VFD.

Today I will be using an old computer case for the box and build up the control panel inside it. I was going to use this box for my 4 axis foam cutter but I felt it was to tight inside after test fitting all the parts. The second power supply is just to cramped in there and it buries the HobbyCNC board to where there is no access to make current adjustments and I think it would limit the airflow... It seem much more suited for the Geckodrive, Warp9 and the 48v power supply.

Just a side note: While the HobbyCNC board are rated for 42 volts on older ones and I think 36 volts on newer ones I have run my setups so far on 12volts and this is for 3 volt stepper motors. My new HobbyCNC proboard has a current control that steps the currents down by half allowing the motors not to sit there and cook while it's idle. That being the case I will be running my new board on 24v.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Wow its becoming apparent there is a lot to building a CNC machine the more I read thee more questions I have. Your 4 axis foam CNC looks well made do you do all the mechanical and electrical engineering yourself? What was the need for you to build your own CNC machine? did you want to sell some kits of aircraft you have designed? or do you just enjoy building them?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,644 Posts
I do most of the engineering.

This foamcutter is made from the 80/20 and I am using mill/router linear slides... This thing is commercial grade. The Y axsis are an adaptation of the X's, I use aluminum instead of the heavy cold rolled steel tracks since it is carried on the X axis's and there is little abuse as compared to a milling machine.

I went the easy way on the electronics for the most part it a HobbyCNC 4 axis kit but I still have limit switches and the bow powersupply to build. I have been at it since 2000 and it's all pretty easy to set up. This time since I know I am selling products I built machines that will last, hold accuracy and run fast. The old standard of 3/8 course allthread for leadscrews just doesn't cut it when your running production... For personal use it's ok.
5 Wings fron RCWorks (3 min 25 sec)

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:04 AM
Joined Aug 2003
1,644 Posts
Still no let it was 2 degrees this morning and the best we got was 27 degrees at 2:00pm

I am just not up to go outside and shiver....
RCG Plus Member