HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:17 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
Graupner Ultra Duo Plus 30

Does anyone out there have one of these chargers? Looking at it to replace one of the two chargers I have, a Supernova and a Triton.

For the price ($229 from Hobby Lobby) it seems like a good deal considering it goes to 7 amps and has the automatic modes for NiMh.

I was looking at the Schulze isl6-330 but it can only do 5 amps, and the isl-636 is too expenseve for me. The Orbit Pro also seems a bit costly and the Astro 110 Deluxe is out.

If anyone has an Ultra Duo Plus 30 that can give me their opinion I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:58 AM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
Anyone...?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
All I know is that the Graupner Ultra units are made by Schulze.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Mar 18, 2004, 08:18 PM
manahawkin, NJ
Joined Jan 2000
322 Posts
The ultra duo pro 30, I believe, is not made by schulze..

IcareRC in Canada had a sale on the schulze ils6-330d with the latest upgrade.. This charger goes to 5.5A and has the auto for nicads and nimh..and--takes care of lithium as well..and its upgradeable should chemistries change down the line. Its also slightly less costly than the Orbit(6A).. I believe it may be less than the Graupner ultra pro 30 you are looking to buy. The 8A will be useful for nicads only..their slowly losing ground to the new nimh and the lithium will rule within a year the way things are going. Then 5.5A max will be more than sufficient. A hot car may be able to do 120mph safely..but...where ..and when.. and Why!

Look ahead with major purchases and you'l never be sorry.

Jarvis
ahab is offline Find More Posts by ahab
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:29 PM
USA, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2001
238 Posts
A couple of months ago I called Hollein in Germany and asked questions about the Ultra Duo Plus 30. They told me then that there were no instructions for the unit, and that Graupner subcontracts the manufacture of their stuff, and that this one isn't made in Germany (or Europe if I recall correctly). They didn't know when instructions would be available, and strongly urged me to go with a Schulze product.
MaxFx is offline Find More Posts by MaxFx
Old Mar 19, 2004, 01:36 AM
Seoul, KOREA
Joined Jan 2003
32 Posts
I have used it since it came to the market. It had been revised its software once. Mine is the first production model.

The specifications is in below.

For Lithium cells, you can chose one of LiMn or Lilo. The difference is its nominal voltage 3.7 and 3.6 volts respectively.
Every factors you need for charging and discharging should be set manually but new model has automatic setting for NiCd/NiMH.
And it has some interesting programs like Conditioning, Balancing and Capacity checking.

It has two outputs operated independently. Battery2 is for trickle charging for Tx/Rx packs. I have been used it for more than a year without any trouble. I like it.

Battery1
Charging: 100mA to 7.0A max. 1500W
Discharging: 100mA to 5A max. 50W
NiCd/NiMH: 1 to 30 cells, min. 0.2Ah
Lithium: 1 to 10 cells, min. 0.2Ah up to 6.0Ah
Pb: 1,3,6,12 cells, 2,6,12,24Volts

Battery2
Charging: 50 to 500mA, 4 to 9 NiCd or NiMH
jhkim is offline Find More Posts by jhkim
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:08 AM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
Does it have the automatic mode for NiMh that allows it to go up to the higher amp ratings?

I know the Schulze charger can get up to like 8 amps (isl 636) in auto mode on NiMh and still nt damage them.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 11:56 AM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
Well I am looking to get a new charger and the Ultra Duo 30 still looks like a good choice, but so does the ISL 330 for a bit less money.

Anyone have an update on the Ultra Duo 30?
Old Dec 07, 2004, 06:28 PM
Middletown, DE, United States
Joined Dec 2003
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
Well I am looking to get a new charger and the Ultra Duo 30 still looks like a good choice, but so does the ISL 330 for a bit less money.

Anyone have an update on the Ultra Duo 30?
Hi mt_100,

I came across this post by doing a search on the Ultra Duo 30. Quick background. A friend of mine bought one and, being totally new to electric flight he asked me to 'test' it for him. My thoughts so far: the NiCd and NiMH programs seem really nice although I haven't tried the 'conditioning' program so far. The 'capacity program' worked great on the NiCds I tried. For lithium though I've been disappointed. Unless I'm using it improperly (I did read, and follow the manual) it uses a C/2 charging algorithm rather than 1C. As such, when charging LiPo's (you have to use the LiMn setting of 3.7 Volt and not the LiIon of 3.6 V) when you enter the cell capacity, the charger divides this by 2 to set the charging rate (i.e. set 2100 and the charger automically chooses 1000 ma as the rate). When I set the charger to 5 amp it chose 2500 ma as the charge rate. Leads me to believe that max charge rate for Lithium is 2500 ma because of the algorithm. Further, it doesn't seem to fully charge LiPo's. For example, I used a 2 cell Thunder Power (gen 2) pack, not fully discharged to 3V/cell), set the charge rate to 2100, the charger
selected 1000 ma, and I let it go to completion. The charge progressed at the 'charger set' rate and finally beeped and displayed the 'Ready" message. Voltage, as I remember, was 8.02 volts. Believing the display and bothered by it, I connected the pack to an Apache 2500. The Apache continued to charge the pack for another 20 minutes before it 'signaled' full. Importantly to me, the Ultra Duo 30 display showed a constant current till the time it beeped and displayed 'ready". What happened to the constant voltage part of the charging? Anyway, just my experience and a little bit of playing. Overall I was disappointed. The NiCd and NiMH programs seem to work well and the two outputs are great. YMMV.

Bick
Bick is offline Find More Posts by Bick
Old Dec 07, 2004, 07:11 PM
Holbaek, Denmark
Joined May 2000
161 Posts
I bought an used one from a friend. One of the first one on the market.
When I got it it haven`t charged LiPo before and I soon found out that it had a fault in the program.
It didn`t measure the voltage correctly.
I send it to Graupner in Germany and after 2 weeks a completely new charger
was returned.
This one got the latest software and everything was working perfekt. Now it has a real LiPo program and will charge with 1C and not only C/2.
I`m very happy about it. I do have an Orbit Pro but I nealy never use it
anymore.
I can highly recomment this charger, just be sure that it has the latest
software. The manual will tell.

Stig
Stig C is offline Find More Posts by Stig C
Old Jan 02, 2005, 03:02 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
I shot Hobby Lobby an email to see what they have to say on the unit. I made sure to ask about the items in this thread that were in question or off in specs. Sounds like it may have had some issues in the beginning but they may have been resolved.

If what they say is good, I will probably get one and go from there.

Thanks everyone.