HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:00 AM
confused heli pilot
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Mar 2004
76 Posts
Slingshot SAL-HLG--from Germany

Just ordered one of these kits from Germany. Has anyone flown one of these or have any more detailed info. The cost was good. I think with shipping it should be around $150.00 after subtracting the vat tax. They sell all the parts for the kit and it can be made into an electric too. Will keep everyone posted on the building of the kit once I receive it. It has a vacuum bagged carbon/foam wing and a carbon pod and boom with removal nose cone. Most kits like this sell in the $250 dollar price range; so I said why not try one.

http://www.handlaunchglider.de/
invrtd is offline Find More Posts by invrtd
Last edited by invrtd; Mar 16, 2004 at 11:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:20 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
Looks very nice--- interested in what you think after you build it. Keep us posted.
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:32 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Re: Slingshot SAL-HLG--from Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by invrtd
Just ordered one of these kits from Germany. Has anyone flown one of these or have any more detailed info. The cost was good. I think with shipping it should be around $150.00 after subtracting the vat tax. They sell all the parts for the kit and it can be made into an electric too. Will keep everyone posted on the building of the kit once I receive it. It has a vacuum bagged carbon/foam wing and a carbon pod and boom with removal nose cone. Most kits like this sell in the $250 dollar price range; so I said why not try one.

http://www.handlaunchglider.de/
Good for you, invrtd! We needed someone to be first on this side of the Atlantic. You'll be our surrogate experimenter, testing out all our ideas!

Actually, Werner has done a lot of work with this ship. Check out Werner's Slingshot page for lots of good tips.

Dr. Drela, who developed the Slingshot airfoils and planform for his SuperGee I/II makes some general recommendations that may differ from Werner's, so you get to experiement with both. Dr. Drela suggests the optimum dihedral is 3" each side. The superGee has the vertical fin behind the elevator, with a movable rudder to minimize drag while thermalling. This could easily be done to the Slingshot with some weight penalty. Lastly, Dr. Drela's pointed out that cutting the ailerons all the way out to the tips dramatically improves the roll response for a given amount of drag, and this has been my experience with my XP-3. You may want to consider cutting the ailerons that way on the Slingshot, if the hinge line doesn't cross any carbon reinforcements.

Regardless what you choose to do, please keep us posted on your building/flying experiences with this apparently very high value ship.

Thanks,

Marc
marctrudeau is offline Find More Posts by marctrudeau
Old Mar 16, 2004, 05:22 PM
Major lurker minor poster
Merrimack, NH USA
Joined Jun 2003
257 Posts
Maybe reading about you building yours will get me off my butt and start the one I received in January. Do you read German? I took alot of time getting a fair/poor translation using various web translations.

Check your invoice and make sure you had the VAT removed- mine was after original billing- I don't think they ship much "over the pond" but was rectified straightaway.
Took about a month to receive mine BTW.

JESTER

To Marc: where in the southern tier? I take a yearly pilgramidge to Victor in July or August.
jester1a is offline Find More Posts by jester1a
Old Mar 16, 2004, 05:40 PM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
885 Posts
Ditto on the keep us posted comment. The instructions are pretty scary to someone who struggled through high school german.
I agree that it is worth the risk especially if you are taking the risk.
My fingers are crossed.
Vito is offline Find More Posts by Vito
Old Mar 16, 2004, 06:35 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Jester,

I'm in Endicott, near Binghamton. Where's Victor?

Also, I'm near UNH to visit a client from time to time. Been trying to hook up with Allan Wright, but no luck so far. (I used to live in Exeter, and learned to fly full-scale at Hampton Airfield--Great place!)

Where do you live?

Best,

Marc
Old Mar 16, 2004, 06:37 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Re instructions: Guys, just go to Polecataero.com and the SuperGee site at CRRC and the Taboo XL site. These composite-over-foam ships all build almost exactly the same.

Just do it!

Marc
Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:02 PM
Major lurker minor poster
Merrimack, NH USA
Joined Jun 2003
257 Posts
Victor is just south of Rochester at the thruway- kind of a hike to Endicot.

I live in Merrimack- about an hour from Durham.

Just re-entering sailplanes after a lengthy hiatus. Fly wet planes also- that's what I re-entered with until I located the group that I used to fly with 20 odd years ago.

JESTER
jester1a is offline Find More Posts by jester1a
Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:54 PM
ADDICTED TO LIFT
Connecticut
Joined Jan 2003
361 Posts
Slingshot SAL-HLG--from Germany - Representative in the US?

Does anyone know if they have a US sales rep?

Glider34
glider34 is offline Find More Posts by glider34
Old Mar 16, 2004, 08:17 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
I've exchanged e-mails with Caussman, and they do not have representation at this time. That's why the price is so low, because it's shipped direct from Germany, with no local warehousing and customer support expenses (or help). Fortunately, we have this list for help.

Marc
Old Mar 17, 2004, 07:53 AM
ADDICTED TO LIFT
Connecticut
Joined Jan 2003
361 Posts
I may have to purchase one of these. If the dollar had a foot to stand on I'd buy 2 or 3! Has anyone flown one?

Glider34
glider34 is offline Find More Posts by glider34
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:21 AM
confused heli pilot
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Mar 2004
76 Posts
I speek some german and my wife is german for the parts that I don't understand. Maybe I can get her to stranslate the instructions while I am building. I will definately look at extending the ailerons and using a rudder servo. I will also look at moving the horizontal forward a bit so I don't have to cut away the rudder to clear the boom at the back. I read somewhere on the page listed from the link listed above about a possible shorter boom or somthing along those lines to lighten the glider. I will see once I receive the it. I have been flying an icare koleos with a v-tail doing moderate modified side arm launches but the v-tail broke 2 days ago on one of my launches. V-tails don't like SAL launches. I plan on buying a second one and making it electric for the those dead days. Just need to save up for all the equipment for a second one.
invrtd is offline Find More Posts by invrtd
Last edited by invrtd; Mar 17, 2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:24 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Dear Glider,

Check out the link to Werner's page earlier in the thread. Detailed photos, build experiences, flight test with altimeter. Comprehensive.

(About buying two or three, I think a pair of these for ~$300 to your door would be the perfect way to start in this sport. After you flew one of the two to pieces, you could pop for an XP-3 or Taboo XL, or bag your own SuperGee, and they'd all fly very similarly.)

Thermals,

Marc
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:41 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by invrtd
...I reas somewhere on the page listed from the link listed above about a possible shorter boom or somthing along those lines to lighten the glider.
Dear invrtd,

Be sure to keep to the same tail volume (distance between wing and vertical fin/rudder, and relative areas between them) as the SuperGee. (One source for SuperGee drawings: http://www.monkeytumble.com/hlg/supergee.htm)

Marc
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:11 PM
Joined Jan 2004
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marctrudeau
(One source for SuperGee drawings: http://www.monkeytumble.com/hlg/supergee.htm)

Marc
Wow, great site recomendation Marc. Thanks!

Now, if I could only figure out the composits thing...(bagging, molding, glass, carbon, Kevlar, epoxy, what to buy, where to buy it, how to do it, how to figure out what is a good combination, how to avoid totally over doing it....)
SeditiousCanary is offline Find More Posts by SeditiousCanary