HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2004, 02:54 AM
Somerset, UK
Joined Mar 2003
271 Posts
A few questions about this plane as I will be putting it together today:

(1) I notice the wing servo mounts aren't flush with the surface. This looks like this will mean that the servos are slightly recessed. Are you simply meant to cut a hole through the film for the servo to sit in? If so isn't there a problem with the cut edges of the exposed film fluttering in flight? I'm simply used to the servo mounts being flush with the wing, so I'm slight puzzled by this design.

(2) How have people secured the hatch at the rear to the plane?

(3) What control throws are people using?

Many thanks for any help.

Nick
Knulp is offline Find More Posts by Knulp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2004, 04:06 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Nick

You may be interested in Building the ES10 where some of these issues are addressed.

If you cut the film carefully and install the servos the remaining film seems to stick well. I've had no fluttering.

My hatch has one rare earth magnet at the rear. At the front there is another magnet plus a small piece of cf tube which as a pin.

I'm presently using a fair bit of aileron and elevator and full servo travel on the rudder. I started with small throws on the elevator and have moved them up gradually. Now at about 65% of servo travel from memory and there is still no snapping tendency.

It does roll fairly fast and axially when pushed. I am using some expo.

Its a very honest flyer and so far I have noticed zero bad tendencies. My c40 motor is cutting out on me for some reason which I expect is related to heat. Despite moving up to a 70 amp esc its still happening afer 7-8 minutes.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Jun 05, 2004, 01:58 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zprod
Hi Kevin,

The model that Eric has the motor thrustline is 0. That model will pull in a verticle climb so a little rudder is needed. I built in about 3/32 of right thrust into your model as I recall and I know that is the amount of right thrust I settled on in the final ES-10 design. Rob
Rob,

Gary Wright flew my (your) ES-10 at the Sizzle and I couldn't get the transmitter back from him! "I love this airplane!" He really liked the way it flew. He confirmed the need for some right thrust and I will have that in the model for SEFF. I also got to try a 4S4P at the Sizzle...as part of my lipo-suction. It was another step in the right direction--unlimited vertical now and 2 flights of ten minutes each. I started trying a knife-edge to snap to knife-edge and actually hit it several times!

Looking forward to seeing the other ES-10s at SEFF! What a plane!

Eric
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Jun 05, 2004, 05:03 PM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
Eric,

As long as you are having fun with the ES-10...that is what matters. 500 + watts in this model does provide "smile" performance. Unfortuately I will be unable to attend SEFF this year. I know you guys will have fun for me though.

Rob
a2zprod is offline Find More Posts by a2zprod
Old Jun 05, 2004, 06:36 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,413 Posts
Is anybody else thinking about scaling up the plans for e-sport to 78"?
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old Jun 05, 2004, 06:43 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
E-Sport 2m
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Jun 05, 2004, 08:56 PM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
So what are you guys saying? Is there interest in a larger version yet? A model for 20 cells with retracts?

Rob
Old Jun 05, 2004, 09:21 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,860 Posts
Looks impressive. A 12 cell sounds like it will fill a pretty large niche that's developed between Joe Parkflyer and Charlie 'C50 or bust' Hacker

-Josh
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb
Old Jun 05, 2004, 10:07 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Yes, yes, yes. Scale it up to about 68" for 20-24 cells (Lipo equivalent) and again to 79" (2M) for 30 cell (C50 12-14XL w/6.7:1 gears and 10s3P Lipo pack). I'll take 1 of each to go with the e-sport 10 I just ordered
Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zprod
So what are you guys saying? Is there interest in a larger version yet? A model for 20 cells with retracts?

Rob
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Jun 06, 2004, 07:56 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Lyerly
I'll take 1 of each to go with the e-sport 10 I just ordered
Ed
Ed,

You sly fox! Glad you liked the way it flew well enough to order one. Welcome to the ES-10 flying club!

Eric
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Jun 06, 2004, 09:35 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBjorn
Ed,

You sly fox! Glad you liked the way it flew well enough to order one. Welcome to the ES-10 flying club!

Eric
Thanks Eric.
Now if I can just get you to teach me those rolling circles and knife-edge to knife-edge snaps you were doing at the Sizzle
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Jun 06, 2004, 12:09 PM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
Looks like I better get busy and start drawing in CAD again!!! I just hate making those canopy plugs though!!!! :=)

Rob
Old Jun 06, 2004, 12:09 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,864 Posts
Rob,

The arf looks nice, but I really like that one Eric has!! Love the colors and the look of the fuse on that one "Lipo suction" has about tapped me out, is there one in the raffle at SEFF?

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2004, 02:22 PM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
David,

The fuse on Eric's model is exactly the same as the ARF except for the fact that the canopy has been moved back to the former and thus creates a much longer looking front end. I would have prefered to have opaque colored models available. Transparent is fine but one can really do some nice color schemes using opaque colors and the weight gain wouldn't really matter that much.

Mmmmm......offering one of the ARFs in the raffle? I will talk to the folks at Kiona and see if they would like to do that.

Rob
Old Jun 06, 2004, 06:52 PM
Somerset, UK
Joined Mar 2003
271 Posts
Well I got mine airbourne today:

Hacker B40 10L 4:4.1
AUW: 66oz
14C! Flightpower 4S2P 4400 Pack
APC-E 12x8 Prop
540W

Oh yes, very, very nice, although on the maiden I discovered that I had a glitchy receiver. This had been taken out of my Longstick after it had crashed. At the time I thought it was some sort of structural failure that caused the crash, although now I realise it was this receiver. Anyway no harm done this time, plane brought safely down.

What a great plane and it just excells at knife edges.

Great stuff.

Nick
Knulp is offline Find More Posts by Knulp
Last edited by Knulp; Jun 07, 2004 at 08:35 AM.