SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:57 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Thanks for the reinforcement suggestions. I will use the triangle the next time I see a ARF cutting "corners" on the firewall.

As for the Esport, the departed firewall was beyond repair. So I built one out of 12mm plywood, tapered to fit the inside shape of the nose sheeting so it can not even be pushed out without any glue. Now the Esport is better than new. I just hope the rest of the airframe holds up better than the fire wall. Mine dates back to 2005 and was bought used from KePople from earlier in the thread.
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
Last edited by turbinefancy; Apr 06, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:19 AM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
590 Posts
Anyone still flying one? I love mine, it has become my favorite. I love its smooth, honest aerobatics (never have gotten comfortable with 3D, prefer more pattern-like aero), and maybe the best part, every landing is a greaser. Not sure why, but I have a similar, slightly smaller plane that is impossible to land without bouncing, but the E-Sport just slides in nice as you please every time. Out of a dozen planes I fly regularly, only the Kadet Seniorita is anywhere near as easy to land smoothly.

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:46 AM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Mine is still in the box. As I recall I completed everything except installation of the pushrods. Got frustrated trying to get the rods to fit and put it all back in the box. I fly mostly larger stuff now anyway.

I had completely forgotten about it until recently when I opened the box while searching for something else. Everything is in the box, even the motor and controller I had fitted.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:32 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
I still fly mine. It's a smooth flyer indeed. I usually land mine with the tail wheel touching down first, or 3 pointer. I think the long fuselage makes judging the flare angle easy and the long moments smooths the elevator response at low speed. Makes me look good every time. It's my go to plane when winds ground my other planes.
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:13 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Still have mine too, it's the one Rob built for me.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:17 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
590 Posts
Norm,

Yeah, I remember fitting the pushrods, it was a royal pain, and I was not real happy with the geometry. But, once I got it together, seemed like too much work to modify. You could probably hide a couple micro servos under the tail and use short, direct pushrods like the 1/4 scale guys, might need to add a little weight (or a bigger motor) to the nose, but it does have a fair a mount of room to shift the battery for balance.

I also sometimes land tail-wheel first, although I prefer 3-pointers. Definitely handles wind better than my other models of similar size. Due to the skimpy instructions, I installed my tail-wheel wrong, so the tail sits kind of high. Takeoffs used to take forever because the wing basically had no angle of attack. Discovered that drooping the ailerons as flaperons dramatically reduced the takeoff run, plus the flaps slow it so that landings are at about walking speed, just plops tail first and rolls a foot or 2. I try not to land that way, don't want to put to much stress on the tail wheel & rudder.
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:38 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
I have been saving mine as I had similar planes & the battery size didn't fit with my other models.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jun 27, 2014, 08:42 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Anybody have plans for the wing for the Esport or a wing itself? I have one that I'm flying and another minus the wing in a box. (Don't remember how I came by it it without a wing!)
I'd like to get 2nd one airworthy.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:32 AM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,413 Posts
I have a whole kit minus the canopy. I plan on going out to neat later this year. I could look into shipping if you want.
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest