HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:04 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
979 Posts
Al, 45A might start giving the controller trouble, i have the Smile which is 40A constant and 60A peak. The best way is to try it out on the ground, if it is in the low 40A range i would think it will be fine, unless you fly WOT all the time!
Stuey is online now Find More Posts by Stuey
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2004, 01:54 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Eric:

Great PIREP on the ES10 and I'm glad that you are happy with a larger version of Rob's design. Perhaps we should rename the E-Sport Series to add the extra cells at the get-go so that they all belong in the "40-amp club." My ES8 sure likes the AXI 2820/10 on ten cells and the extra power is welcome.

We'll need to get some in-flight photos of the E-Sport Squadron at the Sizzle this year.

Way to go!

Gary
GaryK is offline Find More Posts by GaryK
Old Mar 20, 2004, 06:26 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Is this going to be available as ARTF? If so, when and from whom?

thanks
dave
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Mar 20, 2004, 06:32 PM
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Joined Aug 2002
656 Posts
looks like you can get one here;
http://www.kionapublishing.com/catal...x.php?cPath=38
kwilliby is offline Find More Posts by kwilliby
Old Mar 20, 2004, 07:51 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dereck
Hi Eric

Any chance of the CD making it to the Sizzle? Would love to get some detail shots of her for the column - that model would be more popular as an e-sportster than the homely ol' 4* if the world was a fair place ...

Regards

Dereck
Hi Dereck,

I'm going to drive to the Sizzle this year and do plan to bring the ES10 and Cloud Dancer...among others. Can't wait!

I agree the CD is a good looking ride but as much fun as I had converting it to electric, I may have to look at the 4* as well.

Eric
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Mar 20, 2004, 07:55 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Here's the CD (before I shortened the gear and the prop).
Old Mar 21, 2004, 05:57 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Eric

Very pretty cloud dancer. I've put in an order for the Esport 10. However I expect shipping to Australia will turn out to be prohibitively expensive if its a one piece wing. Could you tell me whether your kit had a one piece wing or two?

Can you comment on the sturdiness of the kit? In my view some of the designed purely for electric kits are so light that hangar rash is almost an inevitability. Also did you have any issue with prop clearance?

regards
Old Mar 21, 2004, 07:23 PM
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Jan 2001
80 Posts
Cloud Dancer and E-sport

Hi Eric,
can you tell us which plane is better on a windy day? I am so tired of planning ot go to the field and finding it windy with more predicted when i want to go...(like today!!!)

I like the Cloud Dancer alot...did you scratch build yours?

Steve
steveo64 is online now Find More Posts by steveo64
Old Mar 21, 2004, 07:46 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davidleitch
Eric

Very pretty cloud dancer. I've put in an order for the Esport 10. However I expect shipping to Australia will turn out to be prohibitively expensive if its a one piece wing. Could you tell me whether your kit had a one piece wing or two?

Can you comment on the sturdiness of the kit? In my view some of the designed purely for electric kits are so light that hangar rash is almost an inevitability. Also did you have any issue with prop clearance?

regards
Thanks on the Cloud Dancer, David. The ES10 that Rob sent me is THE prototype from what I understand, and it is a one-piece wing. I'm not sure about the ARF, but I'll guess it's one-piece as well. If shipping is too much, maybe you could order the plans and build yourself one. It would be worth the effort.

The airplane is very sturdy yet light. I love my E3D but there is only one place I hold it when using only one hand! On the ES10, there are plenty of places to grab it without crushing it. Some people might say it is therefore over-built?

I had a prop clearance issue only because of the motor and gearbox I chose and the props I had on hand. I need to run a 15x10 or 14x12 to get the amps I want--and all I had was a 15x10 which won't fit. The 14x12 fits great with 3" thin wheels but I have yet to take off of grass. I'll have to see if I can do that as it's set up now.

Eric
Old Mar 21, 2004, 07:54 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Re: Cloud Dancer and E-sport

Quote:
Originally posted by steveo64
Hi Eric,
can you tell us which plane is better on a windy day? I am so tired of planning ot go to the field and finding it windy with more predicted when i want to go...(like today!!!)

I like the Cloud Dancer alot...did you scratch build yours?

Steve
Steve,

I know what you mean about the wind. I had everything packed first thing Saturday morning and it sat in my truck all weekend and the wind never died...it was even howling Saturday night. I just now unloaded everything without getting to try the 14x12 on the ES10. Bummer.

My favorite wind-be-darned airplanes are my Estreak, Twister, and Embat--but I wouldn't have even flown them this weekend! I've flown both the ES10 and CD in uncomfortable winds and they both did fine. It just wasn't that much fun, though, battling the gusts and the turbulence.

My CD was built from a discontinued kit I was lucky enough to buy off of Ed Lyerly. As a matter of fact, the ES10's motor, Superbox, and battery pack are also Ed's hand-me-downs. Thanks, Ed!

Eric
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:30 PM
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Jan 2001
80 Posts
Windy

Hmmm, I have an Embat kit here....and the 1409/3y...Maybe that one comes before this one.

thanks..
steveo64 is online now Find More Posts by steveo64
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:03 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Eric

Thanks for the info. One more question if I may. Is the wing removeable? Just realised this'll be a big lump to fit in the car if it isn't.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:35 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Steve,

I'm flying my Embat with a 1409/3y, RC 10x2400, and 9x7.5. It does great and I have another Embat kit on the shelf in reserve. The ES10 is in a different (better) league, though.

David,

Wing is removable which is always a nice trick with a mid-winger. Rob did good here.

Eric
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:18 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Re: Windy

Quote:
Originally posted by steveo64
Hmmm, I have an Embat kit here....and the 1409/3y...Maybe that one comes before this one.

thanks..
Build it!

I flew mine with that same motor for over three years - GaryK, DC area collector of almost extinct electric models has her now, awaiting recovering. If you insist on flying in a wind ( I often don't go out the house when it's windy - like this weekend!), the Embat has everything right to make it happen.

I used an Aeronaut 8.5 x 7 fixed blade prop - broke one the whole time I had the model, it was a little slower off a hand toss, but flew much better after she got moving. Lost an APC-E blade after three flights.

Always meant to put wheels on mine, but never did. For bellyflopping, the most stable model I've come across - sits down on the grass, pulls up straight every time with no spinning out or other tantrums.

I think the only "mod" I did was to extend the ailerons to near full span and put the fuselage servos aft of the wing, accessed through a hole in the bottom.

Eric - the Four Star is Sig's finest electric power kit, though they still draw the glow conversion on the plan But I have a part kit of a BTE Venture 60 electric and keep thinking that if I can free up the MaxCim 13Y from hauling the Cub around, the V60E would make a fine successor to my dear old Four Star 40 (ish).

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 22, 2004, 05:51 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
10's are in stock

I just got off the phone with them and they just pulled them out of the box. Choices for the wing color are Red, Purple and Green... I've had mine on order since they put them on the site back in Feb...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...34#post1973434

BK
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.