Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:10 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Rob Smith's E-Sport 10 Pilot's Report

Several weeks ago, Rob Smith surprised me by sending his protoype ES10 to try out. Having had the chance to fly GaryK's ES8 and loving it, I was really excited to try the ES10.

I decided to use parts on hand, so I rebuilt the firewall and put in a Mega 22/30/2 with a 3.69:1 Superbox and a 12x2600 pack that needed some use. I was hoping to prop it for 40 amps but even with my 3-inch William's Bros. wheels, the biggest prop I could swing was the 14x10 I cut down from a 15x10--and that pulled 31 amps static. Being a sworn member of Ed Lyerly's 40-amp club, I just had to hope that 31 amps would make this 76 oz airplane fly like it was supposed to fly.

Last Sunday was clear and sunny but windy--and a strong crosswind at that. I waited for a lull and had a straight take-off and needed to add a few clicks of up and was flying trimmed. I like to spend a lot of time inverted and don't have a single airplane that doesn't take some down elevator to stay inverted--but not the ES10. It was trimmed for upright and inverted flight with little to no elevator input required!! This is going to be fun.

My speed was great and my verticals were very big. I put it into a knife edge at 3/4 throttle and to my amazement, it held: no drop and no pull left or right. This is too easy! I did aileron rolls--fast and very axial--and some four-point rolls and they never looked better!

Then I realized I needed to see what its slow-flight characteristics were--I had full up elevator and it barely wanted to break--finally it gently dropped a wing--excellent. I then did some snaps, hammerheads, outside loops, and anything else I could think of and everything went well. I did notice that turns looked better with some rudder input--I'll have to look more closely at that in subsequent flights. I landed after 7 minutes and considering how gusty it was, I was glad to have it down safely. What a great first flight!

This past weekend, I flew it again twice on Saturday and twice on Sunday. I'm really loving this airplane. I like to do consecutive aileron rolls down the length of the field and every airplane I have invariably wanders left or right off track. Not the ES10--I've never seen such axial rolls and I have to attribute it to the mid-wing and long fuselage.

I was doing some more knife edges and my slimer buddy came over and wanted to see my thrust-to-weight ratio. I put it on the verge of a stall, pointed the nose up and applied my 31 amps expecting it to fall off. I was amazed because it proceeded to pull up slowly and kept going up as long as I wanted!

After I landed, I got lots of good comments from the slimer contingent. They really liked the way it looked and the way it flew. So do I!

When Rob sent me the ES10, I was a little nervous about what I would say if I didn't like it. Not a problem here. I'm very anxious to try it with a 14x12 I just got in the mail! I'll hit that 40-amps yet and get giddy thinking of how it will perform. Thanks again Rob for this great airplane and the chance to try it out. If anyone is considering scratch building or ARFing this airplane, I highly recommend it.

Eric
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:46 AM
Santiago Pudahuel, Chile
Joined May 2003
1,286 Posts
Very nice. Good report too!

This ship is designed for 10 cells?

JL
JLSalas is offline Find More Posts by JLSalas
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:54 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Great report Eric ! Thanks for sharing.
I'm anxious to see it in person at the upcoming "Spring Sizzle" event.
Great looking airplane Rob ! It seems you have another winner .
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:17 PM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
I'm glad you are enjoying the model Eric. Just have fun with it.

Ed, it is good to see you back on the boards. I hope to see you at SEFF this year.

Yes, the model was designed for 10 - 16 cells. I have flown the model on 10 cells and it flies fine but as Ed always has said...too much power is just enough.

IMHO I would think that a 10 cell system able to put out around 400 watts would work well. Eric's 12-cell system sounds like it is a winner. I personally run 12-cells also using an Orbit outrunner.

Ed's Hacker C40 geared on a 4s4p Li-poly battery should be excellent.

Rob
a2zprod is offline Find More Posts by a2zprod
Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:01 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
588 Posts
ES10 source?

Is this the model shown on the Kiona Publishing web page? Is any information on color schemes of the ARf version available?

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Mar 17, 2004, 08:09 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Dave,

I believe it is the one that's on the web page. Someone else will have to answer about the ARF color schemes, but if it only came in purple and pink or something Dereck would do, I'd still get one or build one. It's an amazing flyer.

Funny story is I was putting together about 30 8.5x11 pieces of paper to assemble the plans to build the ES10 just the night before my surprise package arrived. If anything happened to this airplane, I'd definitely build one myself!

UPDATE: I put the 14x12 on and ran a static test--42 amps, 575 watts, 121 watts/lb. It should do pretty well, don't you think?

Eric
Old Mar 18, 2004, 08:10 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Eric
Monokote's "Cream" and "Light Purple" looks real good in scallops with cream as the main colour - if you look up my now-ancient E Zone Speedy Bee review, that's what she was finished in.

I hate having a model that looks like anyone else's. Come to think of it, have always believed in not following the herd. I better not tell you about why I selected the RC channel number I flew on in England here - the mods would be all over me for that story.

Yes, I know. I wore a uniform for 22 years - cut me some slack

14 x 12 - only one inch behind what I fly the 16 cell Hacker-ised Four Star on? Where are we going?

First stop is TnT to get longer legs made up! I set E-Rotica up to clear 16" props with plenty of spare ...

ES10 is definitely one slinky bird. Looking forward to seeing her 'Sizzle" ... Time for me to take the ten cell powered "large scale model" of E-Rotica seriously, I think.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 18, 2004, 08:38 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dereck
....... I better not tell you about why I selected the RC channel number I flew on in England here - the mods would be all over me for that story........
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:50 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,308 Posts
Hi Guys

I'm looking around for 10-cell planes. ARF is a bonus this time of year.

Would a Kontronik FUN 480-33 4.2:1 be suitable for this plane ? I"ve got one taking up space on my bench. Thanks in advance.

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Mar 18, 2004, 02:39 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Posted by GregG
....... I better not tell you about why I selected the RC channel number I flew on in England here - the mods would be all over me for that story........

And the "Prude Police" wouldn't like to see a photo of what I used to hold the fuel bottle on to my field box either

D
Old Mar 18, 2004, 06:34 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Quote:

14 x 12 - only one inch behind what I fly the 16 cell Hacker-ised Four Star on? Where are we going?

I'm running my Cloud Dancer .40 convert on a B50 13S 6.7:1 with 16 cells and a 14x12. I made some long gear so I could spin a 15x10 but I thought the airplane looked silly. So I'm running a 14x12 and putting in 475 watts at 31 amps. Seems backwards to have less power in my CD than my ES10 but they're both flying really well so I won't mess with them...for now.

Eric
Old Mar 19, 2004, 02:45 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
977 Posts
Al P, what cells are you likely to run on the Kontronik setup? I have the same set and have found you may need to run it up to 40A for this type of model. I am currently using a 12.5x9 Aeronaut folder on 10 CP1700s, but i now have some 10 cell GP3300s that i havent tried yet and may have to drop down to a 12X9.
Stuey is offline Find More Posts by Stuey
Old Mar 19, 2004, 06:27 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuey
Al P what cells are you likely to run on the Kontronik setup? I have the same set and have found you may need to run it up to 40A for this type of model. I am currently using a 12.5x9 Aeronaut folder on 10 CP1700s, but i now have some 10 cell GP3300s that i havent tried yet and may have to drop down to a 12X9.
I was playing with P-Calc last night, and found 10 cells 2600 Sanyo and a 12x 10 APC would draw 45 Amps static at 90 % eff. 102 oz. static thrust and I think 72 mph pitch speed. I have found this program to predict amps a bit high. Still, do you think 40 amps may be too much for this motor ? There's always throttle control, right ?
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:39 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricBjorn
I'm running my Cloud Dancer .40 convert on a B50 13S 6.7:1 with 16 cells and a 14x12. I made some long gear so I could spin a 15x10 but I thought the airplane looked silly. So I'm running a 14x12 and putting in 475 watts at 31 amps. Seems backwards to have less power in my CD than my ES10 but they're both flying really well so I won't mess with them...for now.

Eric
Hi Eric
I've occasionally thought that my dear old Four Star 40 looked a little odd with that 15 x 10 on the front.

But only when she's stationary

You've seen her fly - did the prop detract from the effect ?

Any chance of the CD making it to the Sizzle? Would love to get some detail shots of her for the column - that model would be more popular as an e-sportster than the homely ol' 4* if the world was a fair place ...

Regards

Dereck
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:49 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Quote:
...And the "Prude Police" wouldn't like to see a photo of what I used to hold the fuel bottle on to my field box either ....
LOL, you're bad Dereck
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG