1/12 scale Mig 29 or SU 27/35

Hello all,
jesse McRae is offline Find More Posts by jesse McRae
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2004, 06:05 AM
phoenix
Joined Oct 2003
84 Posts
Sorry about that, I hit enter to soon. Does anyone know of a 1/12 scale mig 29 or su 27 available for twin 90mm edf? I would really like to find one to go with my F-14. I was hoping for a short kit but a set of plans would also be fine. Thanks...Jesse
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:26 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
The Savage brothers have a kit just recently shipping of the Su-27 for twin MF480, not sure what scale it is but I'm guessing smaller than 1/12th. The thread has been active over the last few days.

Maybe Offshore models has one that size, but I don't know who carries the plans, maybe the Electric Jet Factory. I think EJF has a fiberglass twin midi Mig 29 in the works, ask Wade Joos here on the EZone.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:42 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Waldrep
The Savage brothers have a kit just recently shipping of the Su-27 for twin MF480, not sure what scale it is but I'm guessing smaller than 1/12th. The thread has been active over the last few days.
Our Flanker is ~1/18 scale.

We're not sure whether we'll be releasing a twin 90mm version or not. If we do, I wouldn't look for it before the end of the year.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:17 AM
phoenix
Joined Oct 2003
84 Posts
Dan
Congrats on an awesome plane. I followed your thread quietly and really am impressed (Just remember to flare in the landing) Just kidding about the landing, mine are usually a lot worse on the maidens (usually need some glue and fiberglass) and I'm sure you've already been joked with enough. Were the plans done in CAD and the parts laser cut. If so, is there any possibility for a set of enlarged plans and bulkheads. I'm not to concerned about the price as I am building it for my dad and he's paying for it. He wants something to tangle with my 123% Tomcat I'm building from JHH. This will be his first plane in almost 10 years and he really wants it or a Mig 29. Of course he's going to need some stick time, actually a lot, and I still need to finish my Cat so I wouldn't need it for a couple of months. Once again congrats on an amazing plane.

Jesse
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:04 PM
phoenix
Joined Oct 2003
84 Posts
A 1/12 scale is going to be pretty big as a real flanker is 6.2 feet longer with a 16.5 feet shorter wing than a tomcat. To get a feel of the size take a look at my 1/12 Tomcat
Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:45 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jesse McRae
Congrats on an awesome plane. I followed your thread quietly and really am impressed (Just remember to flare in the landing) Just kidding about the landing, mine are usually a lot worse on the maidens (usually need some glue and fiberglass) and I'm sure you've already been joked with enough. Were the plans done in CAD and the parts laser cut. If so, is there any possibility for a set of enlarged plans and bulkheads. I'm not to concerned about the price as I am building it for my dad and he's paying for it. He wants something to tangle with my 123% Tomcat I'm building from JHH. This will be his first plane in almost 10 years and he really wants it or a Mig 29. Of course he's going to need some stick time, actually a lot, and I still need to finish my Cat so I wouldn't need it for a couple of months. Once again congrats on an amazing plane.
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the kind words. You can kid me all you want about that landing. I wasn't behind the sticks. Daren was. I was manning the camera.

Yes, the plane was designed in CAD and the parts laser cut. I could simply enlarge it and have the new parts laser cut as well, but there would be several problems with this simple method. First, all of the slots would be too large for the material and the holes would be too large for blind nuts, etc. This doesn't sound like much, but a lot of the parts are designed to fit based upon the thickness of the material.

The bigger problem would be the fiberglass parts. None of these would fit the larger model. You could scab a new nose cone out of foam or balsa and roll some tail cones out of sheet plastic and even find a replacement canopy. The biggest stumbling block would be the inlet ducts.

These would need to be re-created with new molds. There's really no way to roll them out of a single piece of plastic as they are 'S'-shaped. Our prototypes used two-piece rolled plastic ducts that needed quite a bit of fiddling to make then work acceptably well. Even then, they were just barely acceptable and they were a lot of work to fit into the model. This is why we went with molded ducts on the production kits.

There's no way to simply enlarge the plans because the top view, for example already takes up the better part of a 36" x 60" sheet. So, this would have to be addressed.

The bottom line is that even a simple enlargement would be quite a bit of work. This doesn't even get into the work that is already scheduled ahead of this type of project. Next on my list is to make a fiberglass version of the existing kit, then to make the conversion kits that will allow someone to build any of the Flanker variants.

So, I'm not saying yes and I'm not saying no. I will think about it. Given the amount of work, I think I'd probably just make a fiberglass version of the 90mm design rather than do another wood kit. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't expect to see anything before the end of the year.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

Dan
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:20 PM
phoenix
Joined Oct 2003
84 Posts
Thats quite all right. I might just order a set of plans and see what I think or possibly start carving a plug (haven't done that for years). Composite 90mm flanker? sweet. I'm sure my dad can wait for that. Who knows, I'm sure I'll want one for myself as well. Have you started the plug? Will it be roughly 1/12 give or take a few percentages? It will be massive if so. Almost 70" long What part of RSM are you in. Next time I'm in Newport (where I'm from) I'd like to check it out.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 04:48 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Have you started the plug? Will it be roughly 1/12 give or take a few percentages? It will be massive if so. Almost 70" long What part of RSM are you in. Next time I'm in Newport (where I'm from) I'd like to check it out.
I've built the plug for the MF480 version. It's awaiting finishing and molding.

Right by the lake.

Dan
Old Mar 17, 2004, 03:29 AM
phoenix
Joined Oct 2003
84 Posts
Well, I just bought an Acadamy 1:48 Mig 29 on Ebay to cut up for cross sections. God I love Ebay. Bought a $55 model (priced from my LHS) for $15 shipped. From the 3 views I've looked at, I decided it would be a lot easier than the Flanker. As soon as I finish my Cat I'll probably start a building thread. The Cat should be done in a month or so . I just wish I had the $3.5 million to buy the real one I saw on Ebay up in Tacoma Washington on Saturday. Wonder if its even legal to fly in the US? Checked my FAR/AIM (Federal Air Regulations/Aeronautical Information Manual) and couldn't find anything saying no. I just don't think the Department of Defense would like a private citizen flying around in their own top of the line, weapons capable (yes it had the weapons system), Mach 2.3, personal Russian fighter very much
Old Mar 17, 2004, 03:59 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Well, I just bought an Acadamy 1:48 Mig 29 on Ebay to cut up for cross sections. God I love Ebay. Bought a $55 model (priced from my LHS) for $15 shipped. From the 3 views I've looked at, I decided it would be a lot easier than the Flanker.
Don't cut up your model. Go to airwar.ru. They've got lots of drawings of the MiG-29 with cross-sections.

(http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw_fn.html)

Old Mar 17, 2004, 04:48 AM
phoenix
Joined Oct 2003
84 Posts
Man!!!! And I was all excited about my great find for the day . Thanks for the three views. Now I'll just have to use the model for reference and miss out on all the fun of cutting all those little cross sections
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:29 PM
phoenix
Joined Oct 2003
84 Posts
Well I've done some scaling from the Airwar 3views and it looks like a 1:12 Mig 29 is going to be about the same size as the Savage SU 27 which is kind of nice. I'm going to design it for using twin MF480's. It sure seems a lot smaller than my Tomcat but they should have similar thrust to weight ratios.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:10 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Well I've done some scaling from the Airwar 3views and it looks like a 1:12 Mig 29 is going to be about the same size as the Savage SU 27 which is kind of nice. I'm going to design it for using twin MF480's. It sure seems a lot smaller than my Tomcat but they should have similar thrust to weight ratios.
That sounds about right. The MiG is quite a bit smaller than the Flanker. Haldor's MiG is about the same scale as our Flanker and the difference in size between the two is noticeable.

It should be a good flyer. Have fun!

Dan