HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:43 AM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
Well I finally got to the WTC. I found a loose component, replaced all the silicone around the fitting and let it dry over night. Last evening I finally got it back in the tub. And I was able to hold it on the bottom with no bubbles.

So Back into the Hull goes the WTC and Ill take her out again !
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2014, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
were getting very close to a pool side sea trial. It could happen as early as tomorrow. Maybe next week. but worst case scenario the pool opens for use on the 1st. So Im getting kinda giddy. I will finally be able to fully drive it in a controlled environment.

And yes, there will be video.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
About 20 min from putting my Sub in the Pool!

Wife is bringing it over!

Wish me luck !!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 07:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
DEEP water trials complete !!

No Leaks. And once I took the controls OFF of dual rate she turned and dove just fine. For some reason with only 40% throw it didnt want to turn real well. The kids liked that though, Hey Son, get that sub and turn it for me! Big smile and a bigger splash.

But by the end I had full on excellent running. Boarder to boarder and at least 4 feet under. And at one point I was able to get the sub to run level for about 8 feet at just periscope depth. LoL What a thrill !!

Anyway by the end All was well.

HOWEVER, I took it appart twice once to check for leaks and once to refill gas just in-case. And I must have stripped out the acrylic when I put the screw back in. so about half way through my final run. The top came off and the lower hull went deep six while the upper hull floated along on its side. So I blew ballast and the lower hull came back up to me. Im in the process of making a new fastener right now. One with a more positive locking mechanism.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:08 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
Something I don't read much of is when trimming a submarine model, you want to put enough foam in the upper hull to bring it to the surface should it be come dislodged. Try to keep it below the water line to keep the ballast weight down. But if you have to, add foam above the waterline and below in the lower hull to adjust the surface trim.

Remember a everything above the water line has to be lifted by reserve air buoyancy plus trim foam.

Also you can use a line attached to both halves of the hull.

I don't see that much any more. I think we submarine runners have gotten very confident that our boats will return intact from every patrol.

Good job on your run.

Nuke boats with the propeller behind the rudders do not turn very well with out reasonable speed on. There is no propeller wash to push against the rudders.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
OH ya, Ive spent lots of time trimming this sub. LoL. one problem I have is that every now and then I get the ESC and battery cockeyed in the front chamber, and the whole sub lists to one side. It looks a little wonkey.

Well its raining a bit here today. AND my daughter had a large poster board assignment due at school today. So Im in my car. And thus I thought, HEY why not take the sub to work and play in the pool during any slow time today.

So Im showing her off to a friend and i notice that part of the gas line is a little wider looking than I remember it. CRAP, yup, blew some more line.

So Ive got to get some gas line. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 07:09 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
448 Posts
A couple of suggestions. For the battery making things wonky, either cut a foam disk that is the diameter of your tube. Then cut out the battery and slide your foam in. That should keep it from shifting. The other thing is to build a tray underneath.

I think it is a urethane tubing. The one place I know about it sells in bulk.
Let me hunt around and if you do not come up with a solution before me, I will contact you.

Peace,
Tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
Hey Tom !! Hows it going ?!?

I got a mutual friend of ours sending me some stuff. And the tubing is one of the items in the care package.

Thanks for the ideas on the battery compartment. Ive got to work something up. Its kinda driving me nuts.

Mean while here is the promised vid. Its the only one that was taken, its short and the throw rates were still set to low. So it didnt turn worth a crap. And my wife wasnt that interested in making a documentary on the sub. But until the next run, its better than nothing.

Sturgeon First pool run (1 min 21 sec)
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:02 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
448 Posts
It is going well. Like you, life is happening and I get little time to get the sub in the water. I think the Type XXIII is dialed in, but until it runs in the pond, it is not proven itself.
Trying to find another person for my Tech team that is Apple oriented. So until that gets filled, I am covering the repairs.

Not to be bossy or anything, but did you get your hose in and make another run yet? Need more VIDEO!!! Which it is a hoot for me to see yours running! Job well done me thinks.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
Yes ! More videos.

But a suggestion.
Computers are orientated horizontally. Makes watching vertical video harder and very small even on a desktop.

I know cell phones are vertical.

Turn it side ways to get more picture area on the forum.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
Yes the orientation on the vid was my better halfs doing. I haven't gotten her squared away on that yet. But I will.

Well after about 15 minutes in the pool today, THIS happened.

Back in dry dock for a minute. Should be up by the weekend if I can find the parts.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
More vid as requested. i just wish I was driving better. I was all upset about the trim being off, and I kept not driving well.

BUT you can clearly see it go all the way to the bottom on one pass. And at this end its 5 ft deep. So thats cool !!

RC Sturgeon Model Submarine Pool Run (2 min 46 sec)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
Nice.

Did you notice that you have more turn control submerged than on the surface?

You have more rudder area exposed to the water when submerged. On the surface the top rudder is less effective.

Nuke boats have the prop behind the rudders so prop wash is inefficient.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
Yes there is TONS more control under the water. And the speed I was going, while horribly fast and not to scale, is the speed I need to be able to turn quickly under the water. Otherwise its a game of bumper cars with the pool sides. Then I get to practice drivers ed all over again. back up, turn go forward, back up turn, . . . go forward . LoL
Old Apr 30, 2014, 05:03 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
284 Posts
I think most subs turn better when submerged, I believe the conning tower works like a "turn fin" does on a surface boat giving the sub more of a pivot point
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W