HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2014, 05:53 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2010
233 Posts
Discussion
QAV400 Naza PIDs please

Could you guys please post the PIDs or tuning values you are using on the QAV400 if flying a naza. I am flying Naza lite

Thanks!!
onlinegamesnz is offline Find More Posts by onlinegamesnz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2014, 06:45 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,011 Posts
Naza Lite tuning for QAV 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
Could you guys please post the PIDs or tuning values you are using on the QAV400 if flying a naza. I am flying Naza lite

Thanks!!
You'll need to turn the gains down for the QAV from the default settings. Here is what I have settled on for my QAV after my initial tuning.

Basic Gains:

Pitch = 100
Roll = 100
Yaw = 125
Vert. = 135

Attitude Gains:

Pitch = 100
Roll = 100

Also be aware that the Naza Lite on the QAV is very unstable on take off, so much so that I actually sold my and replaced it with a Naza V1 updated to V2 4.02 firmware.

Give those a try, if you get any oscillations try reducing the Pitch and Roll Basic gains first. If you want snappier response to control inputs increase the Attitude gains.

Hope that helps!

HD
hoggdoc is online now Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:23 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1 Posts
Just tried your setting on my QAV400 with NAZA v2 and still having cavitation issues when throttling up hard. Guess I will try:

Basic Gains:

Pitch = 90
Roll = 90
Yaw = 125
Vert. = 135

Attitude Gains:

Pitch = 110
Roll = 110
rangerfpv is offline Find More Posts by rangerfpv
Last edited by rangerfpv; Mar 02, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfpv View Post
Just tried your setting on my QAV400 with NAZA v2 and still having cavitation issues when throttling up hard. Guess I will try:

Basic Gains:

Pitch = 90
Roll = 90
Yaw = 125
Vert. = 135

Attitude Gains:

Pitch = 110
Roll = 110
Well i am glad that I'm not the only one that has some issues tuning the NAZA on the QAV400. I was amazed how low the Pitch and Roll had to be backed down to stop the oscillations. I'll try your setting too.

HD
Old Mar 03, 2014, 03:46 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2010
233 Posts
Im starting to give up on my poor QAV400, I had such high hopes and expectations for this frame, but I cannot for the life of my get stable flight while flying even the slightest bit aggressively.

While I like the idea of the naza for the use of GPS and failsafe etc, but the flight and stability are driving me mad

Right now, im seriously considering stripping my QAV400 and building a F450 out of it for FPV flight. Im really reluctant to do this but I just want to get some great footage with FPV instead of always trying to tune for stable flight.

So, if anyone has any words of wisdom, and wants to change my mind, please by all means, go ahead
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Im starting to give up on my poor QAV400, I had such high hopes and expectations for this frame, but I cannot for the life of my get stable flight while flying even the slightest bit aggressively.

While I like the idea of the naza for the use of GPS and failsafe etc, but the flight and stability are driving me mad

Right now, im seriously considering stripping my QAV400 and building a F450 out of it for FPV flight. Im really reluctant to do this but I just want to get some great footage with FPV instead of always trying to tune for stable flight.

So, if anyone has any words of wisdom, and wants to change my mind, please by all means, go ahead
I had the same issues with the NAZA Lite. Sold it and bought a V1 NAZA-M, updated the firmware to 7.02 and 99% of the issues have gone away.

I wouldn't give up on the frame as it is the best AP platform I have ever dealt with. If you add a gimbal from Klinkeraerospace.com you love it.

HD
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:31 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2010
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggdoc View Post
I had the same issues with the NAZA Lite. Sold it and bought a V1 NAZA-M, updated the firmware to 7.02 and 99% of the issues have gone away.

I wouldn't give up on the frame as it is the best AP platform I have ever dealt with. If you add a gimbal from Klinkeraerospace.com you love it.

HD
Thanks for the reply,

So you really think upgrading to a naza v2 will solve this for me?

I seem to be able to tune the roll axis just fine, but not the pitch axis.

In aggressive flight with a little wind, if i quickly go from almost full pitch forward to full pitch backwards, the thing nearly falls out of the sky lol.

PS. Whats the highest wind you can control the QAV400 comfortably?

Thanks
Last edited by onlinegamesnz; Mar 04, 2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 11:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

So you really think upgrading to a naza v2 will solve this for me?

I seem to be able to tune the roll axis just fine, but not the pitch axis.

In aggressive flight with a little wind, if i quickly go from almost full pitch forward to full pitch backwards, the thing nearly falls out of the sky lol.

PS. Whats the highest wind you can control the QAV400 comfortably?

Thanks

First off I need to correct the version of firmware I'm using on the older V1 Naza-Ms. It is 4.02 not 7.02.

I don't think you issue is the pitch settings. Does the quad maintain altitude while making the fast forward and reverse maneuvers? You should be able to fly forward and backwards in Atti ot Atti-GPS mode without having to adjust the throttle. If not, try increasing the vertical gain. This may also help or cure the other issues you write about.

Non-the-less the NAZA-Ms are much better at stabilizing flight than the NAZA - LITE is.

HD
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
232 Posts
75-75-105-80
80-80
JGrn is offline Find More Posts by JGrn
Old Mar 05, 2014, 06:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrn View Post
75-75-105-80
80-80
What configuration do you these setting with?

HD
Old Mar 05, 2014, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
What configuration do you these setting with?

HD
Nava m v2
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrn View Post
Nava m v2
Thanks for the info, but I was actually looking for more details, motors, escs, gimbal, camera(s), batteries etc. How about flight times too?

HD
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:50 AM
Joined Feb 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I was actually looking for more details, motors, escs, gimbal, camera(s), batteries etc. How about flight times too?

HD
Oh sorry.

MT2216-9 1100kv motors
8" cf gemfan props
DYS 30k simonk esc's
No gimbal
GP3
Pz0513 flight cam
1.3 Vtx
4000 mah zippy compact 4s
DL UHF
9-10 minute flight time

Old Mar 08, 2014, 03:43 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2010
233 Posts
Guys, I upgraded to the Naza v2 and still I have seriously unstable flight.

QAV400 First FPV flight and crash (11 min 54 sec)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:40 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Guys, I upgraded to the Naza v2 and still I have seriously unstable flight.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VfWc7r5Ux8w

Any ideas?

Thanks
I watched the video you linked, can I ask what flight Mode are you using? It looks like you are in manual mode! In the manual mode, the NAZA has little or no effect on the flight stability. I believe it somewhat limits the throttle at bit and that's about it.

May I suggest if you want stable flight and not going to be doing any 3D tricks, use the Attitude Mode. If you want locked in hovering use Attitude/GPS mode. Both of these modes will provide Altitude control, auto leveling, and controlled take-offs.

The Manual mode leaves all of that to you, much the same as single rotor heli.

Hope that sheds some light for you.

BTW the gain settings of:

75-75-105-80
80-80

Work great for me too.

HD