HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2001, 03:04 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Design input GWS A powered bipe

Hi all you design experts. Have on the board in early design stage a GWS A powered bipe stick construction no foam. Fat wing cord somewhat like the Tiny only not as fat, as lite as possible of course, no dihedral. Want large tail feathers most likely balsa with cut outs to lighten covered w/plastic wrap. Advice on ailerons bottom wing only? As part of wing ?(which brings design problems with hingeing on a fat wing however not insolvable). If I go with ailerons on both wings I will be adding weight for activation linkage unless I couple with simple outside link between wings which I don't like the looks of and which adds weight with extra spar,etc. Fuse has to be wide enough to accept 300 NiMH flight pack as I don't want it hanging outside if I can avoid it....
How about some ideas gang!
regards,
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2001, 04:05 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Re: Design input GWS A powered bipe

boomerace said,
[/i]...unless I couple with simple outside link between wings which I don't like the looks of and which adds weight with extra spar,etc.[/i]

Hi Boomer,

That's the way some of the big boys do it. I've seen a pix of a real Stearman turned into a stunt plane. They added short (about 1/2 length) ailerons to the top wing and coupled with a stick. I believe basketcase has it, but I didn't see it on his site. He'll probably post it. Looks ok to me.

I've been thinking of doing it to my Stearman. That is If I ever fly it successfully as is.

I'm not sure why you need an extra spar, you could just back up the chopped off ribs with a sheet of balsa.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Dec 18, 2001, 04:19 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: Re: Design input GWS A powered bipe

RB Said
I'm not sure why you need an extra spar, you could just back up the chopped off ribs with a sheet of balsa.

RB,
Thanks for the input.
I'm not sure either I guess old slimer design habits are hard to break!
regards,
boomer
Old Dec 18, 2001, 05:36 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi BoomerAce, let's see, fat wing, no dihedral, 4 ailerons, wide fuse and large tail feathers...oops, till the tail feathers it almost sounded like a Pitts. Now that might be fun, a Tiny size fully aerobatic Pitts with a big tail to keep it stable at lower speeds.

Or a Stearman! Depends on what kind of flying you want to do with it.

I seem to be having good luck (more like pure dumb luck ) with the ailerons on my Stearman. After reading a lot of posts about how ailerons don't work on slow or undercambered wings all I can say is they are working for me. Without any differential or rudder mixer, yet.

I posted the pics RB mentioned on my reference page at
my site

Another good spot for reference pics is:

http://www.airliners.net/

And this one for aerobatics and Pitts:

http://acro.harvard.edu/IAC/images.html

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; Dec 18, 2001 at 06:39 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 05:59 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Thanks BC!
Lots of good info! Looks like external coupling is used a lot!
regards,
boomer
Old Dec 18, 2001, 06:29 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Hi boomer,
Good thread!
I've seen external linkage on a full size bipe at an airshow. Didn't look bad at all - in fact at the time I thought it was stock. I think it was a Stearman, but time has faded my memory.
Keep up the great ideas guys. This could develop into a nice plane.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Dec 18, 2001, 06:54 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Here's a couple more ideas. Take a look at the Microbipe at EAM. 400 power but could be scaled down?

Microbipe

The Cannonshot, a foamie but could be copied in balsa. 6 ounces.

Cannonshot

And the Pots from Potensky, foam or plastic but has four ailerons and is about the right size for copying.

Pots-acrobat

Not mine! This is the Microbipe at EAM.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; Dec 18, 2001 at 07:01 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 07:28 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Thanks Guys,
If I use even 1/2 of the input I'll have to build several birds to try them out! The way the weather's been here lately I'm starting to grow the webs between the toes!
At least this weather keeps me on the building board to keep from going nuts..... You can only fly the sim for so long.
Keep the links and Ideas coming. You guys are coming up with links new to me and some great input.
thanks,
boomer