HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2004, 05:08 PM
nananabooboo!!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Help!
No More Fanfold For Me.

Well, after 2 1/2 bundles of Bluecor & about 10 failed experiments, I'm quitting this Fanfold business. Everyone here makes it look so easy to do, I just can't grab the concepts, I don't know what I'm missing, I'm extremely frustrated, I've tried full wings, flat plate wings, profile designs, full fuselages, you name it. I'm tired of failing & crashing, thank you all for your ideas (even if I can't make them work for me).
nieves50 is offline Find More Posts by nieves50
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2004, 05:16 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Tried a Bird Dog, or a Pete?

Are you an experienced builder and pilot, or trying to learn? Sometimes trying to scratch-build a plane without having some kit experience is a recipie for failure... Either in the building or trimming portions of the experience.

Maybe spend $30 on a FanFold Kit: http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/kits/...LargeImage=yes
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 14, 2004, 05:39 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
I'm inexperienced as a builder & a pilot. This is what I got so far:GWS ICS-400, 2 (7C) 1050 KANS, 2 (7C) 650 KANS, PERMAX 400 (6 V), GWS EPS 350 (C gear), 1080 props, 0947 props, servos. I have no idea what to do. Right now I'm waiting for props (9X7) for the only experiment that actually kind of works, I know it needs trimming but I busted both props on the maiden, so that's another frustration right there...............
Last edited by nieves50; Mar 14, 2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 05:51 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
OK, you're not in too bad of shape. The stuff you have is a little heavy, but it'll work. Don't use the 1080 props on the 350-C, until you learn throttle control, They are too much. The 0947's will do fine, with the KAN650's. Set the 1050's and 400 aside for a while, unless you want a Zagi...

You could either buy the Cub kit, or build a Bird Dog. They are close enough for your purpose. Make darn sure you get the wing & braces on well, since you are going to be a little heavy.

EWO is running about the same equipment... His pack is an 8 cell AAA, rather than the 7 cell 2/3AA, but weight will be within about 1/2oz.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 06:08 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
i sympathize with your grief. as an inexperienced pilot, even a nicely built airplane will not always fly. best thing to do is to buy and fly something like the gws slow stick, and also to find an experienced pilot to help you.

many pilots here make things seem very easy, because they've been doing it for a while now. i remember my first flight of a friend's pico stick. i thought that thing was way out of control and it was sooo fast. i parked it in a tree after a few seconds. we all go through what you're facing right now. in the end, you'll find, getting help is going to be the best way into this hobby.

good luck.
Foam Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Foam Crazy
Old Mar 14, 2004, 06:17 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Genebond, been thinking about a birddog but everybody is flying them with Lipos so I thought any of my setups would be too heavy. Foam Crazy, I'm pretty much the only R/C pilot in my vicinity so I have to learn the VERY HARD WAY.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 06:28 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Don't feel bad, I learned the same way...

Like I said, ewo is using AAA cells. I tried it, and they worked fine, but I like the light weight / overpowered version, myself.

A SlowStick is a great trainer, and either of those battery packs will work, as well as the ESC.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 06:59 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
I'll give the birddog a try with the EPS 350/9X7 prop & Kan 650. But definetely not tonight, I need to get away from my workbench for a while. I really appreciate the help. Here's the one that flys but like I said earlier, crashed & busted 2 props so I haven't got a chance to trim it properly & enjoy it.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:00 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:02 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:14 PM
Medford, NJ
Joined Jun 2002
79 Posts
I'm an experienced builder and pilot and it sounds and looks like you are taking the jump in the deep end approach to learning. If you could find an experienced pilot to show you the ropes and trim your planes it would take out a lot of the frustration.

It's always more fun to fly with a group than to fly alone. If you have to fly alone start with a high-wing model with lots of dihedral until you get the hang of it.

Don't give up on the hobby, you don't know what you are missing
geoharry is offline Find More Posts by geoharry
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:19 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
nieves50, build the Bird Dog and you'll have plenty of guy's to help get it going. There's not much to it but it will serve you well. I have flown mine on everything, nicads, nmhi, lipoly's all differant power plants from IPS geared to 350 geared brushed and brushless. It will fly dispite what we can do to it.

Your 650's and 350 will do well. Just take the time during the build, ask questions as you go and we'll have you up and flying in the week. Heck you still have the foam so put it to good use this time.

Hey even though I've been in this hobby a long time my first few foamies really stunk in performance till I figured it all out.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:21 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,651 Posts
nieves50

I am looking at your fan fold airplane and I have to think that this is not the kind of airframe for a beginner.

I dont know how slow it flies but if you put heavy nimh batts and a fairly large motor then you have something between a slow flier and a rocket. Also it looks like you have elevons.

Someone is gonna flame me for saying this because they learned on a zagi or something similar, but I think you should start with a high wing slow flier with rudder, elevator, throttle.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:54 PM
Australia, SA, Murray Bridge
Joined Oct 2003
186 Posts
actually i agree not good plane for learner
i learnt on a rhino (small zagi) man what a handfull
i crashed it so many times but i learnt so much in flying and repairing
i build very easy plan boring planes but heaps fun to fly and crash
fly crash learn
always go with a group
let others fly and trim if ya cant do it yourself
my friends helped me lots now i can fly lots things
daron is offline Find More Posts by daron
Old Mar 14, 2004, 08:18 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
I really appreciate all the help. For some reason I'm drawn to sleek & fast plane desigs. I'll have to force myself to start small and take it from there. I'll get a goodnight sleep tonight and hopefully feel refreshed in the morning. Seems that everybody is recommending the Birddog, I will work on it (9x7 prop, 350c @5:33 GB & 7C 650KAN'S). I do rather build my own than buy kits, is just that I'm trying to run without even learning to crawl. Thanks again for the suggestions