HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:05 AM
Joined Feb 2014
4 Posts
Build Log
Hi :) I'm new lol I need some Help.... MQ 9 REAPER Foam Plane

so i just joined this site in seek of help and I'll probably do a build log with this site lol,

I'm just a newbie, i just got into DIY Planes, i've had several Air hogs and ect but I wanted to do something bigger you know? something better? after hours on youtube and reading I finally picked a plane out of several i had in mind...

The MQ-9 reaper UAV

And here's another weird thing i decided to do after watching vids on MASSIVE foamies... Honestly I was doubtful that my plan was going to work... But i decided to do a close 1:5 Scale Of the reaper....

I've already got the Foam, and i started cutting and Smoothening out and everything...

I lost hope and thought this won't ever work.... but then i saw this..

RC F22 Raptor Home made foamy 11-14-2011 (5 min 34 sec)

so i regained hope.... o.o

Now The big question is.. since im making a close scale

I was thinking of finding a 3 blade propeller around 13 inches... but the only one i could find was a 16" one..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...407x204mm.html

Now two things struck my mind I want to make it scaley and realistic.

Also what are the differences between 4 blade propellers 3 blade and 2 blade?

I also need help on picking an Electric motor, since this whole thing is being made out of foam.... Wingspan Is Close to 100 inches...
I scaled everything via Microsoft Excell from Reaper Blueprints...

So I Come seeking Help....

What Motor do I use?
What propellor?
What servos?
What battery?
Reciever?
Transmitter? (i want to fly far)

How can i smooth out foam?

Would gorilla glue work ?

Also The wingspan is massive so what method can i use to make removable wings?
dreadspark is offline Find More Posts by dreadspark
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:55 AM
Joined Feb 2014
4 Posts
sorry for the bad image quality rooms a bit messy from foam cutting lol This is what i have so far.Name: picture002.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 75.9 KB
Description: Name: picture001.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 72.4 KB
Description:
Old Feb 06, 2014, 08:06 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadspark View Post
Now The big question is.. since im making a close scale

I was thinking of finding a 3 blade propeller around 13 inches... but the only one i could find was a 16" one..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...407x204mm.html

Now two things struck my mind I want to make it scaley and realistic.

Also what are the differences between 4 blade propellers 3 blade and 2 blade?

I also need help on picking an Electric motor, since this whole thing is being made out of foam.... Wingspan Is Close to 100 inches...
I scaled everything via Microsoft Excell from Reaper Blueprints...

So I Come seeking Help....

What Motor do I use?
What propellor?
What servos?
What battery?
Reciever?
Transmitter? (i want to fly far)

How can i smooth out foam?

Would gorilla glue work ?

Also The wingspan is massive so what method can i use to make removable wings?
dreadspark . a little heads up-- I spent the first 2-3 years on RCG, reading and learning. I had less than 300 posts in 3 yrs. You can't ask about, what you don't know!!!

OK, very simply-- you need to sit up and crawl -before you you can walk and run.
You apparently do not possess the knowledge to go forward with this project, so I would think it's a good time to start learning the basics. I would suggest a great deal of reading is in your future. Start here: Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ft-electric-8/

From what I've seen here on RCG, in the 6 or so years I've been a member, everyone is most helpful--- BUT--were not your mama, and don't/ won't wipe your arse or put out your clothes --if you don't know-- start to read!!!
( Disclaimer--My appologies gentlemen, I'm not a frequent contributor in this forum --but )
--2 posts, and just joined--now he wants someone to design his "project"

JHLC--( if you don't know, your to young--don't ask) Can not people think on there own any more!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 06, 2014, 10:14 AM
Joined Feb 2014
4 Posts
No I don't wan't someone designing my plane, I need help With Motors mostly.. that's the big BIG thing.... I can do everything else lol...

I'm planning on going with the 16" 3 blade prop...

but need help picking out a good efficient powerful and perhaps cheap motor.....

I was thinking of going with an Outrunner motor, but I don't know which one would be good for a 16" 3 blade prop, and what battery pack to go with it...

since this is going to be used for aerial recording mostly, mounted with a Gopro Hd hero 2, weighing in at roughly less than 10lbs? Haven't weighed yet.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 03:50 PM
they aren't that close.. oh
Joined Feb 2013
71 Posts
what is the largest wingspan plane you have flown, because you need some experience in smaller planes before you fly a 1:5 scale reaper! to build it you need to know about aerofoils, control surfaces and need to have flown a plane with proportional 4ch control at a minimum!
davidio1000 is offline Find More Posts by davidio1000
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:31 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
It's gotta be a windup.

100" span and a 10 lb payload and you wanna fly far but make no mention of FPV only aerial video.

What smells is it has to look like a military drone?

A complete step-by-step, 98" span. http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...eaper-98-build
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 06, 2014, 11:24 PM
Joined Feb 2014
4 Posts
I plan to use a gopro hero 2, for fpv and Vid. I've been trying to figure that part out already, and thanks for the site! It helped!