HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2004, 03:53 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,550 Posts
C-160 Transall

I picked up an old C-160 Transall kit at the WRAM show - Thanks Tom Hunt! Twin speed 400's

Anyway, I'm searching for a color scheme that is not camo and not having much luck. Any of our continental members got any pics? Surely there is at least one German airforce Transall that is not green camo?

Thanks!
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2004, 05:17 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
Chris have you tried airliners.net? I think thats it.stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:44 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,550 Posts
Thanks for that, I just checked.

There is one non-camo scheme. Not much to work with - sideviews only and it looks like white & soft edged transition to a very light grey which is hard to see where the white is and where the grey is. At least it has the de-icer boots and black nose. Maybe I'll make something of it, not too much of a scale fanatic
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:11 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
I'm on the last leg of finishing my C160, so I was looking for schemes myself last week. Have got the wing finished with Speed 400 6v motors + Ramoser Varioprops, ailerons and servos since this picture.

The best site is definitely : www.airliners.net as mentioned already. Go to 'photo search page' - 'keywords' and type in 'Transall'. You will get all the schemes you could possibly hope for (a few hundred photos).

The white ones are good for panel lines. The Manunggal Air Transalls are particularly cool with the red stripe. There are photos of the civil demonstrator - also a nice scheme - after a wheels up landing which will allow you to legally land your Transall model wheels up as well !

I think you maybe didn't pick up all the photos in your search. Happened to me the first time.

I'm thinking of going with French Air Force myself.

Cheers !

Chris P

PS - I think the white ones with the grey underside were painted in the same scheme and colours as Lufthansa commercial airliners to make them 'less threatening / less military' in appearance.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Last edited by ChrisP; Mar 17, 2004 at 08:49 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:21 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,550 Posts
Thanks! You are right - all sorts of schemes. Not much in the way of top views though - oh well, I'll make do

Who's kit is that foam model? Mine is by Voster I think, glass fuse and obeechi sheeted wing & tail.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 01:26 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
I had a scratch built C160 some years back, and a lot of yellow solarfilm laying around, she got referred to as 'The Yellow Banana'. Not exactly a scale finish, but it sure did stand out.
She also had a novel way of splitting down for transport.
Check http://www.geocities.com/rarcher73/index5.html
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 18, 2004, 04:02 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris True
Who's kit is that foam model?
My model is from a guy who turns up at swap meets and sells them out of the back of a van. Darn thing only cost me the equivalent of $40.

Lots of luck with yours !

Chris P

PS - My missus can't understand why the propellors cost more than the kit !
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Last edited by ChrisP; Mar 18, 2004 at 04:18 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 06:56 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,471 Posts
eflightray- Just curious about your opinion on the Olympus Belt drive units. I'm building a Twin Otter with these. Any problems as far as reliability goes? They seem to work quite well on the test bench. Thanks.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Mar 19, 2004, 01:09 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,352 Posts
This was my Transall years ago. I sold it after a about 100 flights

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:52 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
vonJaerschky
Olympus belt drives are very good, and cheap compared to some drives. The drive shaft is very strong, but only ball raced at one end, the front, the other end is bushed. Try to have access to the bushed end for the occational oiling, set the belt tension fairly slack but not so it can slip on full power.
eflight ray
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:17 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,471 Posts
Thank you, eflightray.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:30 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,987 Posts
Regret to say I had a fair number of problems with Olympus belt drive units. I may have been unlucky an purchased from a bad batch but as I tried four over a period of time it seems unlikely. I suffered from two separate problems. The first being that the belt pinion on the prop drive shaft was moulded "off centre" which caused the belt to throw off at higher speeds. The second was that when what I might call aggressive motors (200 watt + 540's) were fitted these same pinions would sometimes slip. This could be cured teporarily with an application of thin CA to the shaft but care was needed when doing this for obvious reasons.
In the end I moved to fitting my 540's to the Astroflight 035 gearbox which is a fairly close ratio match and have found these the next best thing to unbreakable.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Mar 20, 2004, 08:12 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,471 Posts
I have had mine on a test rig for a while, and have experienced no problems yet. The cure to the pinion slipping is simply to grind a flat spot on the shaft, and then use some blue Loctite on the set screw. I have noticed no off centre with the pinion. I guess we'll see how it stands up to repeated flights.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:27 AM
Joined Nov 2007
21 Posts
Please
Send Transall C-160 plans

casadabalsaltda@gmail.com

Gonzalez
Brasil
Thanks
Minare is offline Find More Posts by Minare