HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2014, 12:53 AM
Human Being
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
Discussion
Proto X Prop Guards

Soooooo…. instead of continuing to hijack the New Product, 137 page thread, or the other thread regarding Proto X guards as not sure if that was DIY or discussion, I decided to start a new one regarding these little prop guards I've been producing with positive results.

I've tried a couple other versions and the biggest issue I've found is the weight to power ratio. The more protection you get, the heavier it ultimately is. And the heavier it is, the less actual air time and motor life you will get. Be on your 'guard' when adjusting to new flight characteristics if you use the heavier guard and then fly without it. I like my guard, its so light it barely registers on my Proto x, almost like its not there until I slam it up against yet another immovable object.

This little guy seems to suffer more damage from careening off the walls than from me bouncing it off the ceiling. Living in California has afforded me high ceilings and warehouses galore to fly this little hover bug around, so maybe height is not an issue for me. Just sheer running room…..although I always seem to be trying to run the 100yd dash in a 50 yard gym with this little guy.

Anyway, I had already posted a few 'blurbs' in the massive thread about these but here it is again. I am only producing a handful at a time as it takes a bit of time and work to print and cleanup the guards. So until I invest in a production grade 3D printer, I'll bleed these out between work and play. They are printed from clear ABS, so the LEDs catch it nicely. This is $6 for 2 guards and it weighs virtually nothing. I've been using it with great success and have been handing em out like candy to my coworkers and friends to try out and have been met with positive response.

FeeBay link: Proto X Prop Guard

I expect to be doing some other colors, I just want to finish up this transparent roll first. The blue glow in the dark didn't work out as it's a PLA material type and my printer does not play nice with that material. And PLA seems to be more brittle as I broke at least one of those PLA guards on a test flight in the beginning. Hasn't been an issue with the ABS thus far.

eta: Corrected FeeBay link and added more pics. Multiple colors available now.
Papa_G is offline Find More Posts by Papa_G
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Papa_G; Feb 19, 2014 at 04:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2014, 06:49 AM
proud to be orange!
Australia, NSW, Avoca Beach
Joined Jul 2013
1,448 Posts
"$24.86 International Priority Shipping to Australia"
If it weighs virtually nothing, you might find better shipping options to extend your range
benedikt is offline Find More Posts by benedikt
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2014, 07:10 AM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Nov 2012
119 Posts
Sweet! I can't wait to receive mine and test 'em out!
I'll keep ya posted on how it goes!
Dr. Bogger is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Bogger
Old Feb 05, 2014, 10:51 AM
Human Being
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
Please do! I am very interested in feedback from folks on these. And packaging, I'm worried about packaging. Please let me know if they show up damaged.

And as far as shipping over seas, not really something I've had to deal with previously, I would probably have to do a small box to protect them as I feel there is more potential for damage the farther they travel.

I am open to options and ideas. The $24 shipping cost is eBays shipping scam. It's automatically setup for me and its easy. I'll mess with the options and see if I can get it down.

Otherwise I could hock them on here and parcel post em to AU. Or wherever. My biggest worry about just putting it in an envelope with cardboard is it will get smashed when going through the sorting machines. Could be wrong and if so I could probably just mail em normal like.

I may have to do a test mailing to you and see how it goes and how much it'll cost.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Papa G's Proto X carrying Pouch
Old Feb 05, 2014, 11:02 AM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Nov 2012
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_G View Post
Please do! I am very interested in feedback from folks on these. And packaging, I'm worried about packaging. Please let me know if they show up damaged.

Otherwise I could hock them on here and parcel post em to AU. Or wherever. My biggest worry about just putting it in an envelope with cardboard is it will get smashed when going through the sorting machines. Could be wrong and if so I could probably just mail em normal like.
What type of envelop do u mail them in? Is it a padded envelop? If it's a padded envelop, then I don't believe they go through the sorting machine.

I'm willing to help ya out with all of this. I actually have a 3d printer that is pre-ordered for march delivery. Once I receive it and get it setup, I may be able to help ya out with the design and production of these.
Dr. Bogger is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Bogger
Old Feb 05, 2014, 11:14 AM
Human Being
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
At this point I've done a little tester. Couple got sent in plain envelopes with the guard between a couple pieces of cardboard. Most got bubble envelopes cut down a bit to fit.

Fragile should be stamped on all of them. But sometimes I think the mail carrier misinterprets that as please bend me in half and step on me.

We'll see how much interest these garner and go from there. Right now I print while I sleep and clean up in the evenings after work.

I could send it to someplace like shapeways.com and let them deal with printing, cleanup, and shipping but then it would be about $6 for one from them. And I've read a couple bad instances where the item showed up all misshapen and squished and Shapeways either ignored or told the person, meh, thats what happens sometimes.

Might be better quality though. Gonna have order one and see what they do with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2014, 02:12 PM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,382 Posts
Just ordered a couple as garypr!

EDIT: make that a couple of pkgs! That'll teach me to read more carefully....didn't see "pkg of 2" ... oh well, 2 for me, 2 for a friend
stringrazor is online now Find More Posts by stringrazor
Last edited by stringrazor; Feb 05, 2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2014, 02:24 PM
Human Being
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
Very nice, thanks!! Label printed. Will drop off on my lunch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2014, 02:58 PM
proud to be orange!
Australia, NSW, Avoca Beach
Joined Jul 2013
1,448 Posts
Just some random thoughts for you :

I know for fact that envelopes up to 2cm thickness have no issues with sorting machines, they are processed like any other letter.
I'd try and hunt for as thick as possible cardboard and padding to completely use the 2cm. (At least 2cm is the limit for international letter from Australia, check with your post office).

How rigid are these guards? I guess they must have some good stability to qualify as guard.
Do they break when you drop them? Or throw them against the wall like a frisbee?
How heavy are they exactly? Maybe you can further increase the ring strength?
Maybe you can print the inside of the rings as break-away parts to increase stability.
benedikt is offline Find More Posts by benedikt
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2014, 04:09 PM
Human Being
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
No breakage on either fronts. I would have to seriously zing this thing to get it to shatter. It's so light it doesn't really get enough momentum to break. They just bounce. I'll do a video later of some tests.

Love the breakaway idea. And it would save me some cleanup work. ;0) But ultimately I was thinking lowest common denominator and going with ease of use and what not. I can see them getting broken in the removal process.

Worth a shot. Maybe I'll send out a few like that with the understanding that some end work would have to be done to ensure safe delivery.

I'll wait to fret anymore until I get some feedback from folks who have early adopted these.

And as always, I welcome constructive criticism and helpful ideas. But I'm also extremely busy with multiple projects at the moment and trying to divide up time appropriately is hit or miss.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2014, 05:23 PM
Human Being
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
@stingrazor sorry I didn't catch that edit until I had dropped them in the post. I would've been more than happy to fix it. :0(

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
Just ordered a couple as garypr!

EDIT: make that a couple of pkgs! That'll teach me to read more carefully....didn't see "pkg of 2" ... oh well, 2 for me, 2 for a friend
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2014, 07:08 PM
Certifiable
Joined Dec 2012
2,382 Posts
Quote:
@stingrazor sorry I didn't catch that edit until I had dropped them in the post. I would've been more than happy to fix it. :0(
Not a problem. Spares are cool.

BTW, I posted a link to your ebay item on the Hubsan Facebook group.
Old Feb 05, 2014, 07:54 PM
Human Being
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
Wow, thanks!! Better ramp up production. sic.

Spares seems to be the most common thing I order….spare props, spare frames, spare batteries. I actually just pulled the trigger on a set of 4 nano qx motors, although I was hoping to get my hands on some chaoli's but I always show up when they are out of stock it seems.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2014, 09:34 PM
Certifiable
Joined Dec 2012
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Wow, thanks!! Better ramp up production. sic.

Spares seems to be the most common thing I order….spare props, spare frames, spare batteries. I actually just pulled the trigger on a set of 4 nano qx motors, although I was hoping to get my hands on some chaoli's but I always show up when they are out of stock it seems.
Would love to know where you're getting the 6mm motors. Also need some 8mm motors for the 107c. Two of us have the 8's on order from BG for over a month now.

What are chaoli's?
Old Feb 05, 2014, 09:52 PM
Human Being
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
Motors for my nano qx. Not the proto x. Sorry got off topic.
RCG Plus Member