Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
Very nice!!! Love the landing gear.
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:25 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,809 Posts
Hangerash,nice looking stuff,did you get the reciever to work?Where do you fly?Ive flown at fairview park a few times,i think thats pretty close to you...Dennis
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:28 PM
RCL
RCLanding.com
Batavia, Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
461 Posts
Hangerash,

Nice plane! Let us know how it went when you get home!

Mark
RCL is offline Find More Posts by RCL
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:54 PM
Orange County Ca
Joined Nov 2003
245 Posts
Dennis Everett

I yanked the receiver out of my UB-30 to get this thing going

Thanks a bunch for the receiver info. Ill reprogram it and put it in the UB-30

Yeah Fairview parks not too far from my house but ive never flown there...........but your the 4th person in about 3 days thats mentioned it.

I just hooked up with Will Haney this morning and got him some buddy-box time on my UB-30

we need to set up a time/place to all meet and fly.

this foamy thing is fast becomming a brotherhood

P.S. ever fly combat wings at Temple Hill ??!
Hangerash is offline Find More Posts by Hangerash
Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
man..that landing gear is top notch! what an awesome lookin plane! and i LOVE the DOD Tape Job!
birdie_in_texas is offline Find More Posts by birdie_in_texas
Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:35 PM
Houston, Tx
Joined Sep 2003
225 Posts
E-Tec 1200 LiPo battery intermittant problems

Over the last month me and my buddy have experienced the same problem on 2 different E-Tec 1200 battery packs.
The problem is, after a short period into the flight the motor cuts. In one instance there was sufficient to power the radio, and in the other everything was dead. In both instances there was plenty left in the battery, because unplugging and reconnecting had everything working just fine. Unfortunately the batteries were not quarrantened when it first happened, and they both replicated the first failure in differnt planes. All of the planes have behaved just fine with other packs, so the problem is down to the battery packs.
I think the problem must be an intermittant high resistance joint in the packs. I am reluctant to inestigate the problem any further because of the risk factor with lithium batteries.
Does anyone have a similar experience, or advice on repair of battery packs. If I have 2 cells gone down, then there is sufficient to make one good pack. Are the individual packs soldered with regular solder, I seem to recal that a special aluminium solder was needed.
Also is there a specific battery supplied that can be recommended
nosram is offline Find More Posts by nosram
Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:44 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
A similar thing happened on some Kokam 1020's I had a loong time ago. I think before Tim had even made the 3DX! There would be power to make the motor spin, but that was about it. It couldn't even taxi the Crazy Max they were in. I took the pack out, let it sit a few minutes, tried again and there was normal power. I have no idea what causes it or if there is a cure. One possibility I've heard of is "Lipo shutdown." When you pull too much, the internals of the cells will stop delivering power and give out just a tiny bit of juice. After a little while, they wake back up and act normal. Do you know how many amps you were pulling from your setup? I knew I was abusing my cells, simply because LiPo had not evolved yet.

Good luck,

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Mar 14, 2004, 03:04 PM
Houston, Tx
Joined Sep 2003
225 Posts
SkyPyro

Thank you for the reply. I haven't measured the current draw from any of the setups. I get about 18 minutes on the 3DX with a Razor, 12x6 and 6.6:1. I have another 3DX with a Himax, and get about 15 minutes from that setup.My buddy gets about the same from his 3DX/ Himax plane. Also I have a Genie with a PJS 550e on a 10x4.7, and this gives about 14 minutes. That is a worst case average of about 5 amps. I haven't hooked up a Wattmeter so I don't know the max current drawn. The offending 2 packs have given the same problem on all the above planes.
With the Razor setup neither the cells or battery are warm, with the Himax and PJS both the motor and battery are a little warm, but definately not hot.
The fact that I have lost the use of 2 packs is no big deal, its lots cheaper than glow fuel. I just don't want the cells to crash my plane.
nosram is offline Find More Posts by nosram
Old Mar 14, 2004, 03:45 PM
Joined Jul 2002
139 Posts
Wow version 12, thats what I get for going to Florida...I have a lot of posts to read now
NitroSpazzz is offline Find More Posts by NitroSpazzz
Old Mar 14, 2004, 04:09 PM
Orange County Ca
Joined Nov 2003
245 Posts
Maidened the Extra 36 ......

I flew the extra this morning for the first time and all i can say is that every last bit of hype on this plane is more than true !!!

I dont have the space for a 40%er in my hanger but ive pushed the sticks around on a few of em before and im here to tell ya this thing flys ALOT like a large aircraft (provided the air in dead )

I only flew one flight (23-minutes )
But it was long enough to do every manuever i could think of that early in the morning. One that really kept a smile of my face was how well the extra does elevators. I could initiate the maneuver, then pitch it over the front to inverted, let it fall for a bit, then pitch it back to verted.....the things very very stable! No wing rock or tip stalling at all

Harrier rolls, parachutes, knife edge everything.......you name it.

Tim you really out-did yourself on this one .. THANK YOU !!

Hangerash is offline Find More Posts by Hangerash
Last edited by Hangerash; Mar 14, 2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:26 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,809 Posts
Hangerash.its funny you should mention temple hill,i just drove by there,i went to a glider contest in west covina,but no ive never flown combat,my brother and i were the ones that found, and first flew temple hill,i think in the mid to late 70's,take care...............Dennis
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:31 PM
Fly, Crash, Fix, Repeat
Hershey, PA
Joined Dec 2003
70 Posts
Corbi Prop Shaft...

I could use some help, please. I would like to start using the hardened Corbi prop shafts but I'm not sure which prop adapter to use with the GWS props. I seem to recall a few posts on this thread where people spoke about using these Corbi shafts. If any of you using these shafts could let me know what your set up is, I would be grateful. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim
JimmyRacer is offline Find More Posts by JimmyRacer
Last edited by JimmyRacer; Mar 14, 2004 at 07:33 PM.
Closed Thread