HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2004, 04:55 AM
Zagi bouncer
Berrysburg P.A.
Joined Oct 2003
98 Posts
help with new zagi-xs

Does anyone know anything about the new Zagi-XS. How are they to build,how do they fly (ECT)? Anything will help! I just got in to this hobby in the fall with the Firebirds,now I have just built a slow stick and am learning to fly it. I have a Hitec/laser-4 radio system with a dual conversion RCD 3500 receiver that I hope I can use in the zagi I was told my servos the HS-322HD are to big and should get the HS-81's. J.T.
jtderr is offline Find More Posts by jtderr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2004, 07:07 AM
Wilson Park Flyer
Wilson NC
Joined Jan 2004
17 Posts
I just got my XS done and it wont fly. I did everything right but is is heavy and under powered. The box says it will do 55 MPH. The only way my XS will do that is in the truck on the way to the field. I used all the stock parts and the CG is right. I can toss it and it glides fine but wont climb out. The wing is just too heavy I wish I had my money back.
FalKon is offline Find More Posts by FalKon
Old Mar 13, 2004, 08:01 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
41 Posts
i highly doubt that your zagi wont fly.
Mark Barath is offline Find More Posts by Mark Barath
Old Mar 13, 2004, 08:19 AM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
FalKon - Make sure you have your prop on the right way. I think the XS comes with the 5x5 carbon prop. The lettering should be on the inside, or toward the motor. It will fly with the prop backwards, but just barely.

jtderr - Not sure about the size of the servos on the XS. My 400X takes standard size.
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore
Old Mar 13, 2004, 09:00 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
41 Posts
how much does you zagi weigh?
anything under 30 oz should fly very well. Did you use 3/4 in strapping tape? if you used 2' it will be to heavy.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 01:54 PM
Zagi bouncer
Berrysburg P.A.
Joined Oct 2003
98 Posts
Falkon I can't tell you what is going on with your XS, but I can tell you that I just got home from the R/C EXPO and flea market in Lebanon,PA. where i talked to some guys that said the XS don't fly as good as the 400 X,but they didn't say anything about them not flying at all. Did you check the prop to see if it is right? I am anxious to see how you make out, so I know what I have to look forward to J.T.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:04 PM
Wilson Park Flyer
Wilson NC
Joined Jan 2004
17 Posts
I have tried it with the prop on each way and still now flights. I only get it to glide to the ground about 75 feet from me. The wing glides great so I think the CG is ok but it wont climb or fly. it is 29.5 oz I used the tape that came with the kit.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:06 PM
Wilson Park Flyer
Wilson NC
Joined Jan 2004
17 Posts
one more
Old Mar 13, 2004, 07:30 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Mar 2004
9 Posts
I have flown my XS like crazy. It fly well and weights in at 28.5 oz. However, I have had two major problems with it over the past month or so I have flown it (approx 80+ flights with it.) First, I am on my 4th motor. The first motor new was producing 12 oz of thrust. But after a 20 to 30 flights, ( a couple of weeks) I had a bad crask and shortly after the motor slowed down and stop working properly. No big deal, back to the hobby store for a $10 motor. A few weeks later and another bad crash (damage to canopy as the battery ejected) the motor lost 40% of it power. Another motor, and after 1 week average 4 to 5 flights a day and the motor was back to only 6 oz of thrust (new always 12 oz.) As of today, I have a mega 16/15/4 brushless with 18+ oz of thrust. So I expect to have no more motor problems now.

The second issue is that I think the zagi 20 amp controller has a problem where it cuts out for a split second every now and then in flight. This happened with another plane I had with a different Zagi 20 amp controller as well. Not a big deal, just annoying.
Overall the Zagi XS flys great, it just needs a different motor, and that may be why yours will not fly. If you can, check the amout of thrust you are getting. Anything less than 8 to 9 oz and the XS is extremely hard to keep in the air.

My .02 cents
sallen is offline Find More Posts by sallen
Old Mar 13, 2004, 07:53 PM
Wilson Park Flyer
Wilson NC
Joined Jan 2004
17 Posts
I have a scale that I can use for thrust testing. I am getting 7.14 oz thrust, so I guess thats why it wont fly. What makes me MAD! is the box says it will fly 55MPH. To do that I would have to go brushless. I would have liked to know that BEFORE I bought it.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 07:59 PM
Registered boozer
davis, ca.
Joined Sep 2002
493 Posts
falkon, that is a heavy bird. it should fly sallen's will fly at only 1oz less. how hard are you throwing the wing? i would bet that you would need to throw that thing as hard as possible before it gets on step.
corndog is offline Find More Posts by corndog
Old Mar 13, 2004, 08:16 PM
rwp
rwp
Joined Nov 2003
503 Posts
Maybe you have a weak battery. Try a different one. I went to the XT battery with my ASTRO on the XS since the stock battery wasn't powerful enough. It flys great with this battery even though it is heavier.
rwp is offline Find More Posts by rwp
Old Mar 13, 2004, 08:30 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Mar 2004
9 Posts
It will do 55 MPH if you get the 12 oz of thrust. Each one of the new motors I put in started out with 12 0z of thrust. I just don't think the motors last very long.
Pick up another Zagi pusher motor for $10 or get any other 400 speed motor for now and you can get it in the air okay I'm sure.
The day I ordered my brushless was the day I ws having trouble getting any altitude. I came home, check the thrust and it was struggling to get 6 to 7 oz, and I think that was worse than what I was getting early while flying...
Your batteries are more than likely fine. Even if you throw it hard, without power it will not fly... I know, my came down a few times right before I made the trip back o the hobby store for another motor.

Don't give up, the thing is a blast to fly. I am completely addicted now, and it is so cool to go out and do rolls and loops all day long. I even mounted a wireless camera on mine and got video of the nieghborhood. The camera added another 4 oz making it weight in at a little over 32 oz. No problems, but I had power at that point.
sallen is offline Find More Posts by sallen
Old Mar 13, 2004, 08:44 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
41 Posts
i would call trick rc and tell them that you have a defective motor and ask them to send you a new one or just order a new one they are only $10.00.

If you are getting only 7 os of thrust and you should be getting 12oz of thrust that would be enough to keep and electric from climbng.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 09:14 PM
Zagi bouncer
Berrysburg P.A.
Joined Oct 2003
98 Posts
Sallen, what servos and recerver did you use in your XS? I want to get the right set up for mine. J.T.