HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2014, 12:34 PM
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
New Product
BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer V5

While this isn't an extremely new model, I saw there was no thread dedicated to this model. It's different enough from the Super SS and SS pro to warrant its own thread.

I thought I'd share a few experiences which may help others. I'm new at all this, so some of these thing may be chalked up to the learning process.
  • When my ARF SSv5 arrived, one of the wings had a manufacturing defect which rendered it un-usable. Banana Hobby were very good about sending me a new wing. I was unable to remove the servo from the defective wing without damaging the wing a little.
  • After my first short flight, the propeller wouldn't turn. I finally figured out that the outrunner motor was rubbing on the foam, melted it a little, and stuck. I was able to take the top cowling off, compress the foam a bit, and it worked fine after that.
  • I would suggest grinding or filing a flat spot on the motor shaft so that the propeller adapter has a better grip.
  • I'm using a Turnigy 9x and a 2200 battery I got from HK. I didn't realize the battery and the ESC would have different connectors, so I had to get an adapter. I ordered an adapter from dx.com and as seems to be usual these days, it took almost 6 weeks to arrive.
  • I've read others have had trouble, but I found launching was easy at about 75% throttle once the motor wan't rubbing on the fuselage.
  • I don't really trust or see the need for a folding propeller. A 6" prop is slightly to big but could be cut down. Perhaps a three bladed 5" prop?
  • At some point I plan on adding flaps. The plane glides so well after I cut the power, that flaps may make landing in a small area easier.
  • I've got an 808 key-chain camera on order with the eventual goal of a FPV setup. I'm going to make a camera mount, and I'll try to post the design here.
neve is offline Find More Posts by neve
to remove ads between posts