HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2014, 12:06 PM
United States, MI, DeWitt Township
Joined Jan 2014
31 Posts
Discussion
Foam Blade Holders

These may seem like a couple of newbie questions so I guess I'm posting in the correct area.

What is the purpose of the foam blade holders? Storage & transport I'm guessing.
Why do some helicopter have loose blades like the F45 and other have fixed blades like the V-911 for a couple of examples.
Just a couple of things I have noticed and have wondered about.
Jimbo01 is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2014, 12:37 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo01 View Post
These may seem like a couple of newbie questions so I guess I'm posting in the correct area.

What is the purpose of the foam blade holders? Storage & transport I'm guessing.
You guessed right. It prevents chipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo01 View Post
Why do some helicopter have loose blades like the F45 and other have fixed blades like the V-911 for a couple of examples.
Strictly a design choice. Loose is better, but requires more parts and they can't charge as much for replacement blades.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 01, 2014, 01:08 PM
i can hover nose-in now!
United States
Joined Apr 2013
1,076 Posts
i never used foam holder. i grab with my palm under the heli and carry it like a loaf of bread. never had any chipping from storage or transport. corbon fibers are pretty hard to chip unless you smackeroo it into the ground like i did today then they really chip, other than that, i think it's more help to the servos so they don't crank back and forth if you accidentally push on the blade or so that servo horns don't break. last crash, before the one i had today, all 3 servo horns broke off and blades were ok.

by the way, on my 450 heli, i used to keep blades a little loose, but everytime you spool up, they smack into blade grips because they start moving and whip back for a moment, so i tightened them up a fair bit. like balr said, cheaper. v912 has also REALLY loose blades and they're held by screwsnot bolts, but hey, it getrs the job done and $70 ready to fly, i say that's a winner.
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher