HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:59 PM
Washington State
Joined Feb 2004
877 Posts
Yippee!
***Something New?*** True scale, full fuselage, 40" 3D Extra 300L, Built like a 35%'r

I took the suggestion of a couple guys last week to start a new thread on this project. It is truely a shared project... Input on everything has come from many guys here on RCG.

Martin Hunter started all this with his post on a true scale Extra 300 in a 40" span...

His basic comments were it had to be light (12 oz???) had to be scale (real fuselage) and it had to have a real wing (airfoiled)

It cought my eye!!!! So far I have not seen anything like this that is meant to fly 3D. Please correct me if I am wrong....

The plans are below....

It is constructed in a pretty cool way....

1) All the flight surfaces are hollow core foam. It looks much like a high end molded wing.
2) All flight surfaces are fully airfoiled. (wing, V. Stab, H. Stab)
3) fuselage uses the same light weight construction methods as giant scale planes.
4) Totally scale. All dimentions are correct to the full scale Extra 300L, with the exception of the hinge lines for 3D flying.

I think that this departure from the main stream flat foam, sport scale planes will be refreshing....

Heres the specs
Span: 40"
Area: 299.2
Scale: 13%
Weight: 12-14 oz
Loading: 6.7oz/ft2
Power: GWS350D - Hacker B20-15L
Levi Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Levi Jordan
Last edited by 3DFoamy; Mar 11, 2004 at 11:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:06 PM
Washington State
Joined Feb 2004
877 Posts
The wing is pretty unique....

The fuselage is totally built up. The pictures below are from a 54" version that I built. This 40" version is the same, except for the way the wing is mounted...

The top of the fuse is finished with a foam turtle deck, and a foam forward hatch.

The parts weigh next to nothing, and will be covered directly over the foam.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:14 PM
Washington State
Joined Feb 2004
877 Posts
The wing uses a really cool construction method... No balsa or carbon spars are needed.

Since you have a hollow wing, and a scrap of foam left over from the inside.... all the spars, hinge caps, and "ribs" are made from the left over foam.

You just cut the inner core down to the shape shown on the plan and then glue it inside the wing skins.

When you are ready to cut the ailerons out, you cut right down the foam hinge line and already have the capped aileron.

I used 1# white foam for all parts.

All the foam parts as shown weigh .6 oz. There will be more weight added when the internals on the wing are installed... but I was happy with the begining weight. The balsa required for the wing, plus the foam fuselage parts weighed in at 1.2 oz... so it is a slight savings, but alot stronger and easier to build.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:17 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,356 Posts
WAY cool! I wish I had the cutting tools you do... I've been working on drawings for an all built up version of my 3DX, Yak 54, and Ultimate Bipe. All balsa though, and just working drawings at this point... Sure would be nice to draw something up, then throw some wood in the laser cutter... I'm jelous... Those hollow wings are too cool!

Tim
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:39 AM
Washington State
Joined Feb 2004
877 Posts
Tim,

I told you that you have access to it any time you want....
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:56 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2003
2,116 Posts
Very awesome! That fuse sure looks like a Carden Aircraft hehe. Tim, flew the extra again this evening! Getting better every flight, this time my control horn got loose on the rudder, little epoxy and that thing wont be coming off anymore.

How long did the plans take you to make 3dFoamy?

Steven
Shortman is offline Find More Posts by Shortman
Old Mar 12, 2004, 01:03 AM
Washington State
Joined Feb 2004
877 Posts
The first round was at 35%... and it took a couple hundred hours from nothing to buildable/cutable....

I have spent about 30 hours on the plans for the little guy. I shrunk them down, then redid everything for the right size wood, then changed the way the wing attaches.

I still have the text and finishing touches to do.

Thanks for the compliments... I'm excited about this one!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 06:05 AM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
If this thing 3D's you will have the whole rc market beat !!!! No body has a .40 size SCALE ship that 3d's. I know I have looked!
LOL

Very nice work and keep us posted. Would have the pink or blue foam been a little better or stronger? I know you would have add a a couple of oz's. You need to lose some of the wood in the fuse too. There is enough wood in there to build two!!

No an attack, just trying to help.
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:33 AM
Washington State
Joined Feb 2004
877 Posts
The picture of the fuse above was the 54" version... but it only weighs 4.1 oz as shown.

The pink or blu foam was a little stronger, but twice the weight.

(this project is 40" electric, not .40 )
Old Mar 12, 2004, 01:26 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 3DFoamy
Tim,

I told you that you have access to it any time you want....
I might just have to take you up on that. Drawings for a built up 3DX are in the works and I'll need stuff cut.

Tim
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 03:17 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 3DFoamy
The picture of the fuse above was the 54" version... but it only weighs 4.1 oz as shown.

The pink or blu foam was a little stronger, but twice the weight.

(this project is 40" electric, not .40 )
Well........my 55" Sukhoi is a .40 size...so your 54" is not far off . I have often thought about foam cut wings as well as H. Stab and V. stab. You could get an airfoil on all surfaces and have a built up fuse. Look forward to seeing this one complete. Good job.

-mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Mar 12, 2004, 03:32 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,978 Posts
how's it coming levi?

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:12 AM
Washington State
Joined Feb 2004
877 Posts
Been away from the computer building.... The wing is almost finished (both halves need to be joined and ailerons cut.

I'll try to get some pics later.

I am doing the last file prep stuff for the laser cuts. I am modifying the laser a little right now (MORE POWER!!), so I'll cut the fuse parts as soon as she is back online.

I have the stabs cut out, so I'll get some pictures of that here soon too!

Keep your input and ideas comming!

I wonder about the compitetion stuff? Never done it, but I wonder if this plane would excell in that area?
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:44 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,978 Posts
any updates?

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Jan 27, 2005, 06:46 AM
Experimentor
Southern Sweden