Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 24, 2004, 08:02 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
I have tryed flying as early as 7am on a calm, sunny day, but nothin gstarted to pick up until about 10!
I read in the sites on the first page that 9 or 10am through about 4pm were the av. peak thermaling times.
If what you say is correct(im not doughting you) than I have, ruphly, about 2 hours to get any thermals!
I have flown a GWS Slow Stick all day(with 30min in between 15-30min flights) around my subdivition and flying field and I only remember one time that I could cut thrott. and glide without loosing altitude. And the SS is about a pound or 2 heavyer.

Hanger9 does offer a EP fuse, but it's $31, and I do not have that much money because, as off about 2:30 today I need a new SS and a new mini Rx that will(combined) cost twice as much as a new fuse. My only choice is to rebuild.

I have had it checked out by a friend from a club and it was in just about perfect trim and ballance(although lateral ballance needed to be worked on, but that guy is alittle picky about things like that)
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:53 AM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts
im in the process of biulding an aquila lookalike(spad version with 112 span and 10 cord) and wanted to now if an 11.66 ozft2 wing loading is too much,
thanx in advance
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami
Old Apr 25, 2004, 02:01 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
My Aspire(with motor installed) has about a 13ozft2 WL. No, it shoudl be fine.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 03:41 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Great Aspire News!

Great news! The nose has finaly taken shape and is somewhat reminisant of it's former self! I have instaled all formers and bulkheads(3) and test fitted the motor and after a little triming of the "A3" bulkhead/former, I had it to about 2-3* of down thrust and about 1.5-2* of side thrust!
I am letting the epoxy cure for about an hour and then i'll start to round the nose to the shape of the spinner. After that I will add the second ply sheet to the outside and let that cute/dry and sand that down to conform to the rest of the nose' shape. I'll paint it(sence I have no covering or heatgun or iron) tonight and do a little cosmetic work with some chrome pin stipping! I think she is going to be fine!
Thank you for your help and support, i'll get back to you after she is done.
-Jake
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:22 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,241 Posts
In my experience, you can catch thermals any time of the day. In fact, I would that on any given day, if the wind conditions don't change, that the later in the day, up to about 1 hour before sundown, the changes of catching a thermal get better.

I would say my bests flights have been between noon and 4PM.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 25, 2004, 07:15 PM
The Airplane Gremlin
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jun 2003
388 Posts
Hello Jake.

I'm in a very similar place in the hobby (and life) as you... I'm also 15 years old...my birthday is only a few days after yours (june 4)

My only glider is an electric...I converted a Gentle Lady kit. Also, I fly parkfliers (2 so far). Unlike you, I have an R/C club 20 minutes away so I also have a glow plane that I fly with an instructor there. Unfortunately, I don't have a field right next to my house! (however, I do fly my mini ifo in the front yard)

I have found thermalling quite easy. I have read a million things online and am ordering Thornburg's book. The day I maided the GL, there were boomers everywhere...without even trying, I was in lift 90% of the time. The second time I had it out (last weekend), lift was much more sparse (I figure this was average for my field) but I managed a 30 minute flight. Having the club environment helped me pick up the ways of thermalling. Also, hearing "wow that flies nice" and "he did a good job covering" from behind on the benches really raises confidence!

I understand the problems you have with the parents. My mom is willing to drive me to the r/c field once a weekend. However, she is very picky about what time to leave and also about taking me to meetings and un-official club gatherings. Both my mom and my dad pass the LHS on thier way to work so as long as I give explicit requirements on something I need, they can usually pick it up for me. I can't wait 'till next year January...I'll have my driver's lisence and insurance by then and will able to drive myself around.

Money is less of a problem for me cause I babysit for rich neighbors that pay, litterally, too much. Out of honesty, I sometimes feel like asking for less (havn't yet though!) On occasion, I make $15/hour. Also, I don't currently have a girlfriend (you keep noting how expensive and time-consuming it gets...I might just wait another year...)

"law stateing that you have to wait atleast 6 months with your permit before you can try for a license! That realy pisses me off to no extent. But atleast I missed the cutoff date for haveing to wait till your 18 to get your permit/license! Thats a tad excesive, don't you think?! "

Exactly the same here...just made the cut eh!

Sounds like your nose repairs are going OK. Another option you would have had is to rebuild glider-style and then build a power-pod for your 550 motor.

How much did yours come out weighing with everything (including motor/batt) in it? My GL is only 38oz for a wingloading of 8.26oz/sq.ft The glider version is predicted to come out between 4.77 and 5.42oz/sq.ft by the manufacturer. This acts as my "ballast" and so I can fly in winds up to 12mph or probably beyond (havn't tried yet).

Can't wait to hear how your repairs go and to see how you progress in thermalling. Any tips you pick up, please pass them on! I would recommend reading everying you can on the topic.

Also, I find computer simulators helpful...SSS is a slope soaring simulator but has a quite-good thermal generator. Although I don't have a cord to connect my TX to the comp, I can still practice thermalling and it is a good way to see how a glider does in a thermal. You mentioned before that a video would help...this can help even more.

Happy flying,
John
Seared Ice is offline Find More Posts by Seared Ice
Old Apr 26, 2004, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2004
3 Posts
Well gentleman, i am new here and new to RC planes, but let me say this and take it for what it is worth to you, hope it helps. I'll preface this by saying I spent years flying a hang glider so you know what that means. Ridge or mountain soaring is fun, but nothing compares to finding the blue lift (thermals). Most hang glider pilots eventually get a vario (variometer) to detect thermals with. Like an altimeter except it tells you about the air you are in ...how fast you are being lifted or sinking, by a beeping noise. Now if someone were good in electronics and could build one in micro minature size and put in a RC glider that would send back just the audio to a set of headphones, man what a revolution it would make in RC gliders. But anyway, thermals are really hard to locate. It does take time, knowledge and a lot of looking. As some of the others have stated here...the main thing is to watch and be aware of conditions and your surroundings. One of the easiest things that I didn't see mentioned to look for and you can do this before you even leave your house....look at the clouds. If you see those big white puffy cotton ball clouds, and they are all over the sky, the thermals are cooking. That was the first thing we would look for when hang gliding. They are caused by rising thermals. You can still have thermals without them but they are a sure sign of an unstable atmosphere which is what you really want when thermaling. Another thing to look for at the site is the color of the area around you. As i'm sure you know dark colors absorb heat quicker an better that lighter area... But remember it is all relative. You can be in or near a field that is green and have area's that have darker green grass because of water or fertilizer whatever. The darker areas will produce the better and more consistant thermals. Look for anything..a road, a building roof any of these things will produce thermals first. For those who don't know what a thermal looks like...if you could see one....It is simply a bubble of air that is warmer than the surrounding air. It has surface tension just like water. As a surface heats the bubble of air builds until the surface tension will not hold it there any longer, that is in dead calm conditions. If a little breeze comes along it will break loose and rise sooner. So, in dead calm conditions, circle and look for your thermals directly above those darker areas. If a slight breeze of any kind is present circle just downwind from the dark area. When the thermal breaks loose it will drift with the wind. As the thermal rises it cools at the top of the bubble so as you rise with it try not to climb quite as fast as the thermal. At the very top of the thermal is the coldest air found. So it is sinking and moving to the outside of the thermal. If you get in that area you will still technically be in the thermal but it will be all sinking air. Not only that but as it sinks it can be quite turbulent. Your inside wing will be in warm air trying to rise and the outside wing in cooler air sinking. Not a good attitude for a hang glider or thermaling plane.
Well i think i have run on enough. Hope this is helpful to someone.
As I said I am just learning about flying RC's but I have tons of experience on riding thermals and soaring hang gliders. So, I don't believe the technique's of finding and riding the air is any different. If I can answer any question about that part, please feel free to ask.

Bill
Hang4
hang4 is offline Find More Posts by hang4
Old Apr 26, 2004, 04:38 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Thank you Bill! I will(try to) remember that.
Welcome to tha' Zone! We'll help you with the "RC thing" as much as we can! just ask.

Aspire News
She is done!(done, not finished...I still have some cosmetic work left)
It looks GREAT! Aside from the lack of covering(that I did not have) its looks no diff. from what its did! I painted it last night with 3 coats of white gloss enamel.
I just have to do the cosmetic work and instal the electrics and test glide her tonight after the gusts die off.
I'll give you all a FR as soon as I set a day off from all this wind(10-30mph).
Thank you again for all your help and support, especialy you, aeajr.
I have talked with my Mom(using aeajr's tips) and she has agreed to take me to BSS this sommer(but she might back out when I tell her it's over an hour and 1/2 away )
Old Apr 26, 2004, 05:13 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seared Ice
Hello Jake.

I'm in a very similar place in the hobby (and life) as you... I'm also 15 years old...my birthday is only a few days after yours (june 4)

My only glider is an electric...I converted a Gentle Lady kit. Also, I fly parkfliers (2 so far). Unlike you, I have an R/C club 20 minutes away so I also have a glow plane that I fly with an instructor there. Unfortunately, I don't have a field right next to my house! (however, I do fly my mini ifo in the front yard)

I have found thermalling quite easy. I have read a million things online and am ordering Thornburg's book. The day I maided the GL, there were boomers everywhere...without even trying, I was in lift 90% of the time. The second time I had it out (last weekend), lift was much more sparse (I figure this was average for my field) but I managed a 30 minute flight. Having the club environment helped me pick up the ways of thermalling. Also, hearing "wow that flies nice" and "he did a good job covering" from behind on the benches really raises confidence!

I understand the problems you have with the parents. My mom is willing to drive me to the r/c field once a weekend. However, she is very picky about what time to leave and also about taking me to meetings and un-official club gatherings. Both my mom and my dad pass the LHS on thier way to work so as long as I give explicit requirements on something I need, they can usually pick it up for me. I can't wait 'till next year January...I'll have my driver's lisence and insurance by then and will able to drive myself around.

Money is less of a problem for me cause I babysit for rich neighbors that pay, litterally, too much. Out of honesty, I sometimes feel like asking for less (havn't yet though!) On occasion, I make $15/hour. Also, I don't currently have a girlfriend (you keep noting how expensive and time-consuming it gets...I might just wait another year...)

"law stateing that you have to wait atleast 6 months with your permit before you can try for a license! That realy pisses me off to no extent. But atleast I missed the cutoff date for haveing to wait till your 18 to get your permit/license! Thats a tad excesive, don't you think?! "

Exactly the same here...just made the cut, eh!

Sounds like your nose repairs are going OK. Another option you would have had is to rebuild glider-style and then build a power-pod for your 550 motor.

How much did yours come out weighing with everything (including motor/batt) in it? My GL is only 38oz for a wingloading of 8.26oz/sq.ft The glider version is predicted to come out between 4.77 and 5.42oz/sq.ft by the manufacturer. This acts as my "ballast" and so I can fly in winds up to 12mph or probably beyond (havn't tried yet).

Can't wait to hear how your repairs go and to see how you progress in thermaling. Any tips you pick up, please pass them on! I would recommend reading everying you can on the topic.

Also, I find computer simulators helpful...SSS is a slope soaring simulator but has a quite-good thermal generator. Although I don't have a cord to connect my TX to the comp, I can still practice thermalling and it is a good way to see how a glider does in a thermal. You mentioned before that a video would help...this can help even more.

Happy flying,
John
Hey, John! Thanks for taking the time to read through my Thred.
I missed the cutt-of date by only a year! Scared the hell outa' me, but im fine now. What car do yuo have(or plan on driving)? Cars were my origional "hobby" when my Dad and me restored an ol', burned up 65' Vette. But after we finished that about 2 or 3 years ago, I had nothing to do, so I took a Young Eagles airplane ride and KNEW I was to be a pilot! But after I found out how much the training was, I got into RC.
I didn't want to do a Power Pod because of drag. They arent very efficiant...
What PFs do you have?
I fly GWS because of the quality and ease/quickness of the build.
I taught myself to fly RC on an SS and moved up to the P-51, but after about 10 unsuccesful attempts, I got a FP and aileron trained myself with it and then jumped back into the 51 and got realy good at it! I turned it into a B and realy liked that, and thoughs darn trees took a likeing to it, as well, and finaly got the best of her. I then got a Corsair and another 51, but the 51 soon had to be decommitiond because of wieght. I am still flying the Cors' and shes my fav. so far. I plan to get a DC-3 when they come out in a month or 2, can't wait for that!!
I am not sure on the wieght, but I estimate WL to be about 13ozft2 with motor and batt.
Mine can handle more wind without the motor for ballast than with it! She just doesn't want to climb with winds over 7-8mph.
But in glider mode, she can float with the best of um' in winds of upto 15-20mph!(with ballast of-cours).
Your right about the g/f thing! SAVE YOUR $$! But I do love mine, so shes worth not getting a new plane every month.
My field isn't the best for thermaling because it's always wet and is totaly covered in clover to about 3feet high in some places, but the field about 1/5mile away is great, but it's wet too
Thermals seem to be alergic to green, so they tend to stay away from the field right next to my house.
Where can I find that SSS? That sounds like a great teacher! I taought myself to fly Cessnas in my Fly2 sim(i have currently logged over 167hours in a C-172!!! and over 200 total hours on the sim)
Again, I will ask: Does anyone have a vid of catching a thermal?
Thanks for your imput, John and I hope to be good friends here on tha' Zone!
-Jake
Old Apr 26, 2004, 06:24 PM
The Airplane Gremlin
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jun 2003
388 Posts
No car yet... But if I work this summer, I'll be able to afford insurance and then maybe even a used car. Never worked on a car in real life but before planes (and 2 year gap) I built plastic static model cars.

I think its kinda funny that I like r/c planes cause I've never been in a plane (well actually I used to live RIGHT next to a small airport and I think I went on a sort of fieldtrip there in preschool and got to sit in a cockpit...but I don't remember anyting but 1000s of switches and dials). I've never flown in a plane. Not even an air-line.

I have a FirebirdXL (first plane I got as a toy) that I fly at school/ in parks around here. My real parkflier is my Mini IFO. Fly it in my front yard a few times a week. Gonna get something GWS next...my little brother is starting to get interested so I think I might split the cost of a parkflier with him.

"Mine can handle more wind without the motor for ballast than with it! She just doesn't want to climb with winds over 7-8mph." Make sure the CG doesn't change when you switch modes...sounds like this can be the only thing changing. Also, check to see if the motor weighs less than the amount of ballast you use in sailplane-mode.

SSS: http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/sss/

Happy flying...both in SSS and the neighboring fields!
~John
Seared Ice is offline Find More Posts by Seared Ice
Old Apr 26, 2004, 07:39 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
I used t build balsa/tissue wood FFs and plastic models(cars, planes, and boats) too. But I got fed up with having to wind thoughs damn rubberbands, so I got intrested in RCs, but I wasn't able to afford on until 3 or 4 yeasr ago, but my dad talked me into a Nitro Rustler from traxxas and I had to wait a year to get my Aspire.
I wish I could live next to my base AP(Madison-a.k.a.: I39) But im ok here...
There arent that many switches and stuff on the panel of the planes I fly.(see pic) Most are extrenal Light switches. After I get my licence(pilot) i'll come pick ya' up and take you up! It's wierd, I hate hights, but I hate being on the ground even more. I can't get high enough when im in my plane, but even looking down off my deck makes my knees shake.
I've always wanted an IFO, how is it? Hover? What about rolls? My GWS Pizza was shaped like an IFO, and it's rolls were VERY slow!
Firebirds are nice, but I think they're under powered, is it? Whats it's climb angle?
Start your lil' bro on an SS of Pico-F. There ****ing awsome!
Here's my thread for SS's and such: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&goto=newpost
No, I make sure the CG doesn't move, I think it's more of a matter of power/wieght/and drag. I'll try 7 C cells next time I put the motor in it.
The ballast is an 8(AAA)cell batt. The motor wieghts A LOT more than that lil' thing.
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!
"Watch your ***" ( )
-Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Apr 26, 2004 at 08:39 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 07:44 PM
Joined Apr 2004
3 Posts
Hey Jake, I understand your concern about the fields next you not being good for thermals because they are green...but I'll tell you what...just keep your eyes open and wait till they plow that clover field up to plant. Hopefully they will...the thermals will be kicking off that plowed field.

Bill
Hang4
hang4 is offline Find More Posts by hang4
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:37 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,641 Posts
They used to plow it every fall and spring, but fo rthe past 2 or 3 years, they have stayed away from it. Even the big hay one 1/5 mile away!!
It's owned by Berea College, so I can't realy get buddy buddy with the owner because there is none, BC just leases it out, guess they haven't had anyone lease it in a while. My grandmother has a tracktor that I can opperate and a plow and bush-hogger, but I would get arrested if I tryed to do anything to the field(it happoned to me when I tryed riding my 4-wheeler!)
But I can fly from the BSS club field tis sommer, and the college soccer fields that are next to several small, reg. plowed fields and a parking lot, so Im not totaly out-O-luck.

Aspire News
I just test glided the Aspire in 'glider mode' and I honestly can't tell a differance! I think it acualy gets a longer glide! But, than again, any glide looks long in the backyard.

John, do you get/have BackYard Flyer mag? You'll find GREAT choices for you and your brother. And most are cheep!($50-$150 range)
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:17 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hang4
Most hang glider pilots eventually get a vario (variometer) to detect thermals with. Like an altimeter except it tells you about the air you are in ...how fast you are being lifted or sinking, by a beeping noise. Now if someone were good in electronics and could build one in micro minature size and put in a RC glider that would send back just the audio to a set of headphones, man what a revolution it would make in RC gliders.
Vario's meant for RC gliders are readily available, and reliable. Some have verbal feedback that tell your AGL, and monitor your onboard battery voltage every so often.

A few places where they are available in the US are:
http://www.picolario-usa.com/
http://www.tek-variometer.de/englisch/
(us dealer http://www.xcsoaring.com/products/products.htm)

In the RC glider realm, I find vario's most useful when the plane is too high to visually determine if the plane is in lift. At lower altitudes, I can see the plane react to lift before the vario can tell me about it. Partly because thermals an RC glider can work can be much smaller than the thermal size required for a hang glider. Thus, the delays inherant in varios become more of a distraction. For a craft as large as a hang glider, I doubt this would be an issue.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:31 PM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts

is this the type of wheater i want(this was taken at about 3pm)these clouds are rather high though
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami
Last edited by tsunami; Apr 26, 2004 at 10:34 PM.
Closed Thread