HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 14, 2004, 06:37 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Sometimes those of us in rather small states find it easy to recommend traveling to a sailplane club, without thinking of a) whether a poster is old enough to drive there or b) willing to drive the necessary distance. For us there are several sailplane fields within an hours drive, and there are several clubs within a two-three hour drive.

In your case, with the Lexington club only an hour away you are really missing an opportunity to learn a whole lot. How about planning in advance with your parents for a trip to the field? I know my parents used to say the same thing, and often wanted to do their own thing on the weekends after a long week at work. Talk with them about your interest, how it is keeping you away from a lot of things they read about in the newspapers, and that you would appreciate their involvement. Then ask them if they would be willing to spend one day every month (or every other month) to take you up to the club. They could drop you off and come back for you. Heck, I bet if you were to get in contact with the club you might find there are people who live closer to you and perhaps would be willing to give you a ride from a location somewhat nearby!

I remember being 16 and wanting to do my own thing, but unable because of transportation. It is up to you to become an advocate for your hobby, to line up all the advantages of flying with a bunch of great mentors and present it in a positive fashion to your parents. Think of it like a school project where you are trying to get an A+, with that grade being delivered if your folks agree to a regular trip to the field.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2004, 06:50 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
I have had one guy(he used to be the vic. prs. of the club and he got me in touch with BSS) he oppted to pick me up about 1/2 way, but its still 1 1/2 hours out of his way and I do not want to inconveniance someone that much. I have told my parents all the you mentiond(even the A+ deal!) but still no luck. They just dont see the need to do that when I have a field right next to my house. They will not even take me 5min up the road to a huge college field that gets great thermals on a good day. I told them that if i didnt learn howto use my field, hat there was no use in even attempting thermaling in it!
I'll talk to Jim(the member) and see what we can work up. There probably is someone closer than he thats might be willing to pick me up on his way, and then my parents pick me up later. That would be my only and best chance.
Thanks for the help and advise.
I'll be working something up soon.
-Jake
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Apr 14, 2004, 09:35 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
I wish that could happon, but my parents never take me to Lexington(which is the location of the BSS(Bluegrass Soaring Society)the closest sailplane club near me). I haven't been there sence I first joined, last winter.
My parents eather "can't find the time" or "im too tired"~(when they havent even worked that day)~ and etc...you know the drill.
They think its just something I do so I don't get bord. Something to keep me buisy. But its so much more than that! And they just don't seem to get that, ya' know?
Jake,

Being a parent myself, let me give you some suggestions in the parent area:

1) Get a couple of friends involved - Then you can get their parents to share the travel burden.

2) Try to form your own club there so that you and friends can enjoy together and help each other as you learn.

3) Of course you have all of us to help you in any way we can.

4) See if you can get some interest at your school in forming a club. Maybe one of the teachers is interested or even knowledgable. If you want help writing a proposal to the school for an RC Soaring club, I would be happy to help. Works great into a technology program, or a modeling program, or even a science related program.

When it is just "your thing" that is one level.

If you get a few friends involved it becomes a "shared thing".

If you can get your school involved it can become a "School Thing!" Many parents will give School Things a much higher level of priority.

With you forming the club and acting as student leader you are developing all kinds of good skills and building character and stuff that schools and parents want to see. Looks good on college applications for example.

If this sounds interesting, let me know.

The AMA also has programs to help such clubs and school programs. We can try to get them involved.

You could go from an aspiring pilot to a community leader!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:48 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
aeajr sug. answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
1) Get a couple of friends involved - Then you can get their parents to share the travel burden.
2) Try to form your own club there so that you and friends can enjoy together and help each other as you learn.
3) Of course you have all of us to help you in any way we can.
4) See if you can get some interest at your school in forming a club. Maybe one of the teachers is interested or even knowledgable. If you want help writing a proposal to the school for an RC Soaring club, I would be happy thelp.
With you forming the club and acting as student leader you are developing all kinds of good skills and building character and stuff that schools and parents want to see.
You could go from an aspiring pilot to a community leader!
Answers to your suggestions:
1)I have tryed, believe me on this, but noone wants to put any effort, or especialy $$! I would pay for there stuff for them if i could, but I can barly afford the stuff I need... Thats y I only have 1 sailplane and fly foamys(so i can fix them insted of buying new ones..my GWS SS is over 2 years old!)
Noone takes it serious.
2)I have tryed a club once when I was training a few of my friends, and even my ROTC Aerospace sience teacher! We even had a VERY good field, but as I said before...they weren't interested enough to help with anything.
3)Thanks alot. I love al of you all very much
4)I have talked to many people at the school, but they all just think im a nerd, but I take that in my stride! and the ones that can afford it or want to think they cant do it and dont want to buy a plane of there own to crash. I offer mine, but they just use the above as an excuse, just bo be nice to me and support me senceim known as the "Pilot Guy" or "Airplane Guy" around Berea(my town). My aerospace sience teacher has so many clubs that he sponsers that the school will not let him do any more. He doesn't want to be responsible for anything happoning with the poeple or planes(safty thing...)
not to be bragging, but I already have thoughs skills Being the "pilot Guy" everyone looks up to me on that subject and I am the first to get the Q and A's around school, from both teachers and students. I quite injoy that
You could go from an aspiring pilot to a community leader
I would much like to do that, but it seems pritty far out of reach at this point in time. But, again, so did becoming a Rec./private pilot before I got my drivers licens, and that worked out well. Hehehe

-Jake
Old Apr 14, 2004, 04:18 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
Can ya'll help here? Im having second thaughta about rebuilding the nose to spec. of what is was. just doing it like a normal glider version nose would be easyer for me, but I don't know what to do with the motor out of it. I can't just have a great lil' motor like that 550 laying around with no plane for it to pull.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...92#post2058192
Old Apr 14, 2004, 06:12 PM
Quincy,FL
Joined May 2002
108 Posts
I can't just have a great lil' motor like that 550 laying around with no plane for it to pull.

Build a foamie!
mhmitchell333 is offline Find More Posts by mhmitchell333
Old Apr 14, 2004, 06:51 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,011 Posts
Why not put the motor back it? Or do you prefer it as a pure sailplane?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 08:07 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
I would like to put the motor back on, but it is very hard for me to build the new nose to spec. as it was before I crashed it. But if I can't find a plane to use it in, i'll try my hardest to accomidate it.
A foamy couldn't handle that thing and battery's weight! Nice try though...
Old Apr 15, 2004, 03:01 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,011 Posts
I am sure you can rebuild it.

If you can post some photos, we can help you through it.

The reason your plane does not have a nose block is because it has a motor. If I were to put a motor in my Spirit, I would cut off the nose block as that is where the prop and motor shaft would reside.

You CAN do this. If yours looks like mine, you can do it.

Ask your questions! We can help you.
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 15, 2004 at 03:06 AM. Reason: adding infor
Old Apr 15, 2004, 03:55 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
Sorry, but no pix.
I know about the nose block and such im not that sailplane eliterate
I know I can, but it might not work the first time, and I cant cut it off and redo it...
im gong to try, but there are not garonties.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 08:50 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,011 Posts
My friend, the only thing guranteed in this life is death and taxes. Everything else is a chance.

You will do great!
Old Apr 15, 2004, 09:01 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
lol
All I can say is im trying...
Old Apr 16, 2004, 05:43 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
I have another substitue/opp. for my motor.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...92#post2058192
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:57 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
NEWS

I haven't been able to find anythin gthat my motor can pull, or anything that can axcept it, so it looks as if im going for the EP version.
I'll get started tonight or tomarrow.
I know is been a week or 2, but you know how girlfriends are...
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:34 PM
Heart of Texas
Joined Apr 2002
95 Posts
Jake, here's a question. What time of the day are you usually flying. A quick look thru this thread indicates you are flying mid-morning to late afternoon. If so, you may be missing the thermals. The only flying time I saw listed in your comments was 11am - 4pm. Try getting out around 9am on a Saturday or Sunday (or any other day of the week that you can).

I spent about 14 years in the Texas panhandle. The mornings were usually fairly calm, but as the day wore on it got windy (beyond belief sometimes). When I was flying in Albuquerque, NM, we hit a sod farm about 9:00 in the morning. The sun started heating things up around then and we got our best thermals till about 11:00 am. Things started settling down after about 11:00 since the temperature differences had equalized a lot. Afternoons are generally quite toasty and there isn't much difference in the ground and air temperature, so no (or little) air going up.

Also, try to make at least one trip to a local club site. It is amazing how poorly a sailplane can perform if it isn't correctly balanced and trimmed. If you haven't had help from someone knowledgeable about these things, find someone. Getting the plane correctly trimmed can turn a mediocre performer into a great plane.

As for the repair to the front end of your plane, you might look at the manufacturer to see if they offer a fuselage kit (or repair parts). If they do, buy the fuse kit. Cut the junk off the front of your plane in front of the first undamaged former. Buiild the new fuse from the same former forward and glue the new piece onto the old fuse.
culiv is offline Find More Posts by culiv
Closed Thread