Closed Thread
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:25 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Thats exactly what I was going to do!
Thanks.
My AspireEP doesn't have a nose block. Just 2 motor bulkheads/formers. They are going to be a bit of a challenging to recreate and get set on the right offset degress for thrust and stuff, but the hardest thing will be getting the bottom to curve into the sides and into the round former that the spinner 'sets on'.
The Pix you have are EXACTLY like my crash, except I didn't hurt the wing(just broke the seal in the middle where they join, but some 5min. epoxy will make it better than new(cause I used Elmer's white glue when I 1st put them together(I was 12, give me a break )
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Apr 07, 2004 at 11:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:29 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mchone, Jake
Thats exactly what I was going to do!
The Pix you have are EXACTLY like my crash, except I didn't hert the wing
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:31 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
second(this is aeajr's crash, but mine is almost exact--just to give ya'll some ideas)
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:32 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
last 1
Old Apr 07, 2004, 10:17 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
A translation: "Hert" = hurt, "Brock" = broke, "chalanged" = challenge.

My kids are learning to spell via phonics and they encourage creative spelling in kindergarten. My 5 year old spells a bit like this, my favorite being her spelling of butterfly: bdrfli. Fortunately by the time children reach 2nd grade they are being actively encouraged to use other tools to spell hard words. English is a tremendously challenging language, and I understand even more so for those with dyslexia, ADD, ADHD and the host of other childhood ailments.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Apr 07, 2004, 11:39 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Hey, hey, hey now! You wouldn't make fun of a bad/fast typest would you?!
I guess the secrets out...I do not spell check. rofl!
Sorry (im only 15)
Old Apr 07, 2004, 11:45 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Good news for today, everyone! I have just got in from the field with the spiner(which was in the ground about 2 inches) along with the "brock" motor mount and 1/2 of the fromer the spiner 'sets on'. I will be going to the LHS and Wally-World ASAP to see what I can find, seeing as i can't get to the HobbyTown USA about an hour away for another frew days.
I'll keep you posted
-Jake
Old Apr 08, 2004, 05:13 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Hollow, Gentlmen
Last night and early this morning I broke out the CA and went to work on trying to put together the pieces of the broke section. They fit pritty darn good for what shape they are in! They all fit and give me exactly what I need to make sure I get the measurements right for the new nose sec. I can make exactly what I need by looking @ the old piece, but I still haven't had a chance to goto the only place for balsa around here(HobbyTown USA in Lexington)
But im hopeing i'll get to run up there soon.
-Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Apr 08, 2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2004, 07:49 PM
Dirt a.k.a. Tom
Kent, WA
Joined Mar 2004
679 Posts
I dunno Jake, 40 mile each way, doncha think you should drive or hitch a ride. The excercise might be good for you but still, that's a long way to run.
Master_Dirt is offline Find More Posts by Master_Dirt
Old Apr 08, 2004, 08:45 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Well, I haven't had a chance in so long(to exercise that is..) I figured id go for it...
rofl
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:52 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Ok, I got upto HobbyTown today and got the ply and such that I needed. I sat down to start cutting and seen that the side are fluted(get smaller). I am not sure how to do that and have a round nose of about 1 3/4" @ the end. thias has turned out to be a very hard knock to my head for me to figure out that something this simple has become so hard as to my lack of skills. I havemt had to work with wood sence I was about 13. I have been flying foamies and this Aspire is the only Balsa RC plane I have had. Can anyone instruct me on how to round a nose out from a square fuse? I have some ideas, but after i tryed them, they just didn't line up well.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:31 PM
Quincy,FL
Joined May 2002
108 Posts
Trace the side and top outline that you want and then carefully carve abd sand to get the rounded section. If you crash was like the picture it should be a fairly easy fix.

There are two kinds of RC pilots , those that have crashed and those that will crash the rest are liars.

Why not rebuild as a pure sailplane and get these impure electric motors back in RC cars where they belong LOL.

You WILL thermal after all its just hot air. Use the force Luke you can see them they are all around you. low puffy clouds , over roads (not much over trees or water. corn fields. Big birds soaring , a buzzard weighs almost 20 lbs and he can soar he can't see any better than you. swarms of insects are a good indication. If the day is calm birds would be you best bet.
mhmitchell333 is offline Find More Posts by mhmitchell333
Old Apr 13, 2004, 05:02 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Thats what I did, but no luck.
I am considering building just a glider version of it(my thred found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220314 ) it would be easyer to build that, but I dont know what to do with the motor... Sorry, im not into cars anymore.
I have been useing thoughs exact techniques that that you metioned, but havent been lucky enough to find lift strong enough to let me gain any altitude over 50ft before I lost it or what not. But in still trying. I took my SS out before it got too windy and rainy to try my luck with it, but didn't get anything. But it was about 3:30, so it was a little late.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 06:34 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
You would do well to find an experienced glider flier to a) stand by your side while you fly one flight or b) let you watch while he/she shows you how to find thermals. I find that I haven't consciously made improvements from flying with others, but I must subconsciously because now I can seem to find them.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:27 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
I wish that could happon, but my parents never take me to Lexington(which is the location of the BSS(Bluegrass Soaring Society)the closest sailplane club near me). I haven't been there sence I first joined, last winter.
My parents eather "can't find the time" or "im too tired"~(when they havent even worked that day)~ and etc...you know the drill.
They think its just something I do so I don't get bord. Something to keep me buisy. But its so much more than that! And they just don't seem to get that, ya' know?
Im acualy supprized that they took me to HobbyTown for me to get wood, even if it only took 10min. for me to find everything.
Its VERY agrivating!
But i'll be driving soon, so this time next year I probably will not even be on the Zone( :wink: ) because i'll be out looking for slopes, going to the BSS on th weekends and going to LHSs But thats still 1 hole year away(B-day in may=16) but Kentucky just passed a law stateing that you have to wait atleast 6 months with your permit before you can try for a license! That realy pisses me off to no extent. But atleast I missed the cutoff date for haveing to wait till your 18 to get your permit/license! Thats a tad excesive, don't you think?!
But there is nothing I can do but wait and tuff it out for another year and try to make the most of it in the field(s) next to my house for now. Thats why I want to get my Aspire(my only sailplane) back up!
Im working, but its slow going. I am by no means a wood worker, but I do have very extensive balsa working experiance with lil'(and big...and some CL kits) FF kits, so its only that I haven't run upon this thing where I have to "pull the nose in" and round it to the shape of the A1 bulkhead(about 1 3/4" wide from a fuse of 2.5"x2.5" squared fuse.) Its sounds like a simple opp. but I have to make it to spec of stock to get the motor and stuff to fit properly and have the proper side and down thrust.
Closed Thread