HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 05, 2004, 05:04 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
If the wind has been blowing in a certain direction all day, the wind calm after a gust = likely a thermal directly upwind. If the wind is barely blowing you can use the new apparent wind direction to help you locate the direction of the thermal. Where there is no apparent thermal generator the wind shifts and careful observation of the plane will be your only guide to any lift.

Two minutes is great, especially when windy. 50 feet up in the air the wind is *much* quicker than you think and the plane will move downwind rather rapidly. It certainly helps if you have a big field without trees, a model that you know can make it back upwind *or* and electric model that you can get high enough to feel comfortable following a thermal downwind.

My personal observation as a fellow newbie is that flying in the wind is really tough when not confident flying over the trees. I find that if I have enough altitude that you need to be able to follow the thermal downwind to get back enough altitude to make it back upwind, and then try again. This is a tough cycle as each time the plane gets to a point where I am "should I, or shouldn't I, follow what looks like lift". Sometimes I chicken out, and other times I go with it - at this point always being more cautious to avoid having to climb 80 foot oak trees.

Also, you don't say how windy it was. There are thermals, and they form quite nicely in all kinds of wind. I have seen a guy get really small in the sky in a 30 mph gusty breeze. He had a Mantis, which is a high performance bagged/fiberglass/CF sailplane, but my point is there *were* thermals out there despite the wind. It just took courage and tons of skill to find it.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2004, 05:13 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,708 Posts
The wind was/is about 3mph(calm) and 8-10 on average, but its was gusting to about 20mph! :eeK: WE have to be crazy!(to buy $200+ planes and gamble it all in the thin air around the wind!)
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Apr 05, 2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2004, 06:43 PM
next to Death Valley,Ca
Joined Jul 2003
33 Posts
Tinfoil

I own a home in Trona,Ca. The thermals here are stunning. Trona is a five minute drive from Death Valley,Mojave Desert. I don't have a sailplane. I use Hobbyzone RTFs. When I see buzzards circling overhead I send my plane aloft. I have lost several planes in the thermals. I think they came down in Nevada somewhere.
Tinfoil is offline Find More Posts by Tinfoil
Old Apr 05, 2004, 06:53 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Hey Tinfoil,

What does land cost out there? Does it take one hand or two hands to hold your hat on?
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 05, 2004, 07:01 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,708 Posts
Wish I could move out there....bet the Dust Devils are something to look @ too.
Old Apr 05, 2004, 07:45 PM
next to Death Valley,Ca
Joined Jul 2003
33 Posts
I bought a lovely three-bedroom two-bath home here with attached two-car garage with huge front and back yards for $24,000. I had sold my home (same size) in Orange County,Ca a month before for $529,000. I like to fly my planes between the pinnacles http://www.yellowecho.com/travel/trona.htm
Tinfoil is offline Find More Posts by Tinfoil
Old Apr 05, 2004, 09:25 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
It sounds like soaring heaven.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 05, 2004, 10:56 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
It may be soaring heaven, but it sure sounds like h*ll to me... that is, hot!!!

Speaking of hot, my wife is trying to convince me to drive to Florida in July to visit my parents. Is she nuts? I have heard that it rains down in Naples all summer and the mosquitos make the rest of the time when it is not raining miserable for flying! Ollie, what do you think? Is it worth it to bring a glider along?
Old Apr 06, 2004, 11:08 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,708 Posts
I just thermaled my GWS Funnypark! wow, it snuk right up on me! I didn't even know it was there untill the tail came up and I started to float. Wasn't big enough to circle in, but I did get about 50ft out of it by flying in and out of it before it drifted over the powerlines and on over to the subdivision next to the field.
If my FP was only alittle lighter
Old Apr 06, 2004, 03:44 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,708 Posts
Bad news everyone...
At 3:04pm EST I had a magor radio malfuntion(witch is still being investigated)at the start of an up-start launch and the Aspire took a 8* dive into the ground at an estimated speed of 40mph or so...
The nosecone has yet to be excivated and the first 5" of the nose(includng 1 of the motor's bulkheads) is crushed beyond repair.
The plane it's self is ok, but the wing needs a little epoxy to make it useable once again.
Does anyone have any points or suggestions on what to do next?
Has anyonelse had a simaler accedent?
Old Apr 06, 2004, 03:56 PM
Dirt a.k.a. Tom
Kent, WA
Joined Mar 2004
679 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jake, the Aspire is such a beautiful glider when it ain't broke or sitting in a closet gathering dust.

Are you absolutely certain you can't rebuild that nose? Some guys have performed total miracles with busted fuselages.

Of course it would be off topic for me to suggest you might look for another Aspire in the FS/Wanted section.

Hope you're able to repair it.
Master_Dirt is offline Find More Posts by Master_Dirt
Old Apr 06, 2004, 04:14 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Are you sure it was a radio malfunction? I have had that happen when I didn't give the plane enough flying speed and the plane has got up to about 50 feet and then arced over straight into the ground. No radio malfunction there, just wussy throwing and the plane stalled.
Old Apr 06, 2004, 05:11 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Master_Dirt
Sorry to hear that Jake, the Aspire is such a beautiful glider when it ain't broke or sitting in a closet gathering dust.

Are you absolutely certain you can't rebuild that nose?
Hope you're able to repair it.
The nose is reparable, but im not sure exactly how to go about it. Would it be strong enough to just cut the damaged part off, then epoxy on a newly rebuilt replacement section? The fuse. is built of 2 ply balsa sheeting(ply wood). So couldn't I just over lap the new section on the existant? Im not sure if that method would be strong enough to support the motor(550) in a harder landing that we all tend to have everynow and then.
I am going to fix it, but I only want to have to fix it once, ya' know?
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Apr 06, 2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2004, 05:33 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fprintf
Are you sure it was a radio malfunction? I have had that happen when I didn't give the plane enough flying speed and the plane has got up to about 50 feet and then arced over straight into the ground. No radio malfunction there, just wussy throwing and the plane stalled.
No, it was a radio malfuntion, eather something came unconneted, or the switch(on the plane) got turned off somehow. I had conrole before I tossed it, but as soon as I seen it was not climbing, but heading out strait, I pulled up an dthere was nothing...
I flew into the ground and buried it's nosecone into the ground and ws pulled to the side by the up-start and that is what broke/snapped the nose, instead of crushing it. The nose cone is imbedded into the ground, but im not sure where because the plane was pulled about 20ft up from where it inicialy hit.
It had plinty of speed , I assure you!
Old Apr 07, 2004, 07:16 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mchone, Jake
The nose is reparable, but im not sure exactly how to go about it. Would it be strong enough to just cut the damaged part off, then epoxy on a newly rebuilt replacement section? The fuse. is built of 2 ply balsa sheeting(ply wood). So couldn't I just over lap the new section on the existant? Im not sure if that method would be strong enough to support the motor(550) in a harder landing that we all tend to have everynow and then.
I am going to fix it, but I only want to have to fix it once, ya' know?
Sorry to hear about your crash. I had a bad crash a couple of weeks ago with my Sagitta 600 because I had the radio set on the profile for my Airtronics Legend. The Sagitta is a 3 channel and the legend is a 6 so you can imagine that they don't match. The more I have it right rudder the more it went left till it spiraled int the ground on a winch launch.

As for repairs. I wrecked my Spirit last october on a bad launch. You can see some of the photos here.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...61e47b&notag=1

Now, as to reapiring yours:

First, dont' throw anything out. If you are sure that you can't just glue it back together then try consider this:

YOu can try and pickup a kit for the Aspire and use it for spare parts. I did that with the Spirit. Would typically be about $45. Or you can get the ARF for about 100 if they are available. If not, or if you don't want t spend the money then try this:

The fuselage is probably two layers of thin plywood or 1/8 balsa. If that is the case, remove the covering back to where you have good fuselage, then go back about another 6-8 inches.

What you want to do is remove one layer of fueselage. YOu may have to slip a hobby knife between teh layers, or perhaps some kind of blade, but you want to leave one solid layer in place all the way around. It can be the inner or the outer layer. If you have a choice, leave the outer layer, then you are doing your joining inside.

Now, cut the plywood, one layer to rebuild the damaged piece. I will assume the nose block survived, so you can use it to shape the pieces. It is not absolutely critical that it have the exact perfect shape on the sides, just get it very close. You may have some broken pieces that you can use for cutting guides.

So, you cut one piece that overlaps the good part of the fuselage. Build on the bottom, the the two sides. Look at the nose block. How does teh fuselage join to the nose block?

Take a look at my spirit photos, they might help.

After you get one layer done, then put the second layer on so it joins up nicely with the first.

You can use CA, Yellow glue like tight bond, or you can even use white glue like elmers. Be sure you get the full wood surface coated when you join the flat pieces.

You will probably have to do a piece at a time, let it dry, then do the next piece. Take your time. use clamps or weights to hold the glued pieces together.

Ask questions. We will help you. I probably can't respond for a few days as I am out of the country right now and this is my only chance to get to the internet for an hour today or I would go into more detail.

Good luck repariman!

After you have that all together so that it
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Closed Thread