HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 01, 2004, 08:34 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Yes, it waz fun, untill you had to rewind that damn rubber band...
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2004, 08:21 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Thermaling Chanses

Ok, guys, I need to know the chanses of catching a thermal tomarrow(I'll be out from about 11am-4pm) with the only obvious sourses of a thermal being produced, being several narrow roads around the field and houses with black or dark roofs on 2 sides of the field. There are usualy some thermals that come into my field, out of the big field that I normaly do not fly in alittle less than 1/4 mile away from my 'base' field.
The weather conditions are as follows:
Sky: 1am to 4am-cloudy 7am to 4pm-sunny to partly cloudy 7pm to 10pm-cloudy
Temp(F): low 41 high 57
Wind(direction): 1am-310 4am-290 then 10am to 10pm 280(av.)
Wind(speed): 1am-4am - 4mph 7am-5mph 10am-4pm - 12mph(av.) and steady @ 13-15 threw the night.
(other additional info avalable @: http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...te=KY&sta=KLEX

Thanks, any help would be very much appeciated
-Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Apr 02, 2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2004, 08:25 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,245 Posts
Don't forget to reread my tips on finding thermals:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=2

Wind of 13 MPH is moderately strong. Be careful the plane does not get too far down wind, you will have trouble getting back. Even when you catch a thermal in 13 MPH wind, staying wiht it can be hard and, again you can get sent down field pretty fast.

I give you a 1 in 4 chance. So parctice your flying in the wind IF you feel confident enough. And remember to launch and land into the wind.

Have fun Pilot!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 02, 2004, 09:38 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
I/it can handle the wind, the only thing im worried about is getting pushed over the tree line..I had that happon once before. The wind isn't blowing in the best direction, but i've flown in wors conditions and hooked some warm air, but not enough to bring me up with it. I am very contous about the wind and the plane getting blown too far down wind. I usualy do not go out more than 300-400ft away from me in any weather that I happon to be flying in. Im not expecting boomers, but I do hope to catch one or 2 if I play my cards right...
Thanks, and I'll be sure to review some tips on here and on other sites b4 I go to put the Aspire up.
-Jake
Old Apr 02, 2004, 10:45 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,245 Posts
One thing that helps in the wind, especially with a light sailplane is some ballast. If you put about 3-4 oz of lead right over the CG, typically right over the tow hook, you will be amazed how much better your plane will handle the wind. It will fly faster, but it will penetrate much better and you will have a better chance of getting it back against the wind.

If you have a motor and a battery in it, then you don't need ballast but an Aspire, a Spirit, a Gentle Lady, or something like that will benefit greatly from about 10% added weight to help with wind.
Old Apr 03, 2004, 07:03 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Would an parkflyer 8cell AAA pack be about that much? I have 2 if its not.
Old Apr 03, 2004, 07:34 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,245 Posts
That should be close. If you put it in the plane, make sure it is mounted in some way that it will not move around. If it slips, it will throw your CG way off and could make the plane very hard to manage.

Remember if you get into a thermal, you will spend part of the time turned at high angles. A hi-start launch can put a lot of stress on the insides of the plane If you tape it, use plenty. If you velcro it, use plenty, and put some tape over it.

I built a little box in the center of my Sagitta for this purpose.

Try it an you will be surprised at what a difference it makes. Good luck!
Old Apr 03, 2004, 07:49 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
I thaught about building a box, but the only weights I could find were fishing wights, and thoughs arent the best...
I will use servo/foam tape. It works very good...its what I have all the electronics and stuff held down with(even the serovs) They havent moved once!
Thanks.
Its about that time so I'll ttyl
-Jake
Old Apr 03, 2004, 08:14 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,245 Posts
I use fishing weights in my planes. They work great!
Old Apr 03, 2004, 08:29 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
They do!!
Wow, I thaugh they would be too light, even if you did use the big ones, and you would have to use such a big box to hold them in that it would be too braud of an area over the CG.
I'll run to Wally-World after I goto the LHS to pick up yet another GWS foamie(i just can't get enough of them lil' things!) and build a little box that will fit under my battery tray.
Thanks a lot
-Jake
Old Apr 03, 2004, 09:03 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,245 Posts
That 8 cell battery would work fine too! No need to buy something if you already have it! Just make sure it is centered over the CG
Old Apr 03, 2004, 10:00 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Ok
Old Apr 03, 2004, 02:04 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Its a no go....I just got in from trying cross wind, downwind, and headwind launches and the winds are just too turbulent for a lil' 2 meter...maybe a hotliner, or definatly a slope/Dynamic soarer, but its not for the Aspire, even with the balast.
I did manage to get some lift this morning with the Coursair, but I wsn't in the mood to thermal with that plane.
I'll try again Monday, or the next day the wind dies down.
Old Apr 05, 2004, 03:02 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
The wind was a little gusty today, but it was very warm and sunny, and the wind was calm when its wasn't gusting, so i took the Aspire out and hooked a thermal right of the 1st launch!
But it was deing out, or was forming, so all I gained out of it(by flying in and out of it-cause it was so small) was about 20ft, but the winds helped me stay up for about 2 min that flight...and 3 the next!!without a thermal!
But I only caught the edge of one over a tree line about 30min. later and was only able to find the sink before it drifted away... :sad:
I wasn't able to find anyother lift for the rest of the time I was out. I was out from 12-3:30...guess it was just too windy for good thermals to form before they 'detached'.
I'll try again to marrow before I take my g/f to the movies(hehe, wish me luck )
-Jake
Old Apr 05, 2004, 03:59 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Hey! I have an Idea! Does anyone have a Vid of someone catching a thermal and riding it for any period of time?
That would help TRAMENUSLY!
Closed Thread