HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2004, 09:47 AM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Question
Sig 1/5th scale Cub

Has anyone built and flown this kit? How well does it fly/perform with only a .40 - .46?
The engine size seems small compared to other Cubs near this size (84" wingspan).
I don't want the plane to be to tame, but also don't want a rocketship with too large an engine.

Thanks in advance,

Dano13
Dano13 is offline Find More Posts by Dano13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:54 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,115 Posts
I have an OS .52 and it flies it 'scale-like'.....good kit and great flier!

Jerry
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Midwest Stik Build
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:43 PM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Thanks, tailskid2.

Judging the characteristics of your .52 (fs), I hope my chosen (and already purchased) engine doesn't make mine too "hot". I want to keep the easy flying mood of the original aircraft.

Dano

P.S.
My engine is a TT .46 pro.

P.S.S
About half of my "growing up" years were in Tucson. I had never heard of Tolleson. Had to look it up on the map just to see where it is...
Last edited by Dano13; Mar 23, 2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:26 AM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Aug 2003
109 Posts
Dano 13,

One of our club member has old Saito FA40 in his 1/5 SIG Piper.
It flies very realistic way, climbing in 15 degrees angle.

I have now (bought plane ready build) 1/6 SIG Piper with brand new Saito FA40A and it will fly in 2 or 3 weeks (not possible at the moment because our 'airport' has still snow and ice...). Earlier this plane had SC30 with wich it flied well. I just wanted to have better quality...

br. Jarkko

ps. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...11#post1968411
jarkko is offline Find More Posts by jarkko
Last edited by jarkko; Mar 31, 2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:49 AM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Jarkko,

Thanks for your input!

I guess I am just concerned about my engine selection at this point. The TT .46 Pro is one of the most powerful engines in it's class.

I think it will be a good balance between easy flying and performance from what little I have been able to find on this model (I think it's too new to get some good info from fellow modelers).

Dano13
Old Oct 24, 2004, 06:22 PM
Just fly,its just money.
Joined Oct 2004
1,438 Posts
i am building that plane rihgt now. it is looking pretty scale. but very time consuming airplane kit. but will be worth it at the end i hope.
fish2keel is offline Find More Posts by fish2keel
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:14 PM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2keel
i am building that plane rihgt now. it is looking pretty scale. but very time consuming airplane kit. but will be worth it at the end i hope.
It's a long and personal story that I won't go into (my last post here is dated the month of May), but I am getting back to it. I did not find it any more time consuming than expected. As a first build, yes I chose an incorrect starter. Even though I I already had an ARF trainer, my skill level was (and is still) limited, so I should have chosen a kit trainer for a first build project.

Dano13
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:21 AM
Just fly,its just money.
Joined Oct 2004
1,438 Posts
dano,
hey man. yea it is my first sig kit. it is some ocmsuming yes u are right no more than i thought. but it is a very fun build. i have some friends that have told me after this kit u can build just about anytihng. sig is a very hard kit company. but i enjoy a hard build. gives it more of a challenge. i am scratch building a hellcat. u see im jumping from a sig cub to a hellcat. but im ready for it. have been working with my father on some of his planes. cant wait to get this hellcat in and get it started. it will be fun. well good luck.

if u need any help with ur scale kit tell me man. my father works for piper at there company. i could send u a book on the cub and there plans for there scale things. that it is what im using. just tell me and i will get the book and send it ur way hopefully. it want be any problem. good luck and have fun. god bless and good flying.

fish2keel
fish2keel is offline Find More Posts by fish2keel
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:42 AM
Olympia, WA USA
Joined May 2001
185 Posts
good power choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano13
Has anyone built and flown this kit? How well does it fly/perform with only a .40 - .46?
The engine size seems small compared to other Cubs near this size (84" wingspan).
I don't want the plane to be to tame, but also don't want a rocketship with too large an engine.

Thanks in advance,

Dano13
Dano,

I have had quite a bit of experience with Cubs, both glow and electric powered models as well as several full scale ones. Although I haven't had my hands on one of the 1/5 scale Sig jobs, I feel the extrapolation of details is safe.

A Cub is SUPPOSED to be slow. All the Sig kits are well designed, so that if you have the weight under control and the balance right, they are going to be relatively docile in the air.

Your choice of engine seems small in comparison to what you have seen, but that's because most modelers put WAY too much engine in their Cubs. A good four stroke 45 or 50 size engine would be just about perfect...actually, MORE than scale power, but that's OK 'cause we fly off non scale rough ground in non scale wind. 14.5 inches is the scale prop diameter for your model, and you should try to get as close to that as possible for good scale flying. (That won't be easy with a two stroke...get as near as you can.)

I would suggest that you set up your .46 with a prop that is at the extreme max diameter that will run safely, and low pitch. A real Cub will not loop from level flight...you MUST dive it up to speed first.

One other thing...all Cubs that are built to scale demand that you use the rudder in turns. You can't just push in some aileron without having the plane slip or skid sideways while it's turning. There's nothing wrong with your model...it's part of the design characteristics of the big Cub. Coordinate rudder with aileron...maybe even learn to LEAD your turn with the rudder..and you'll have become a real Cub flyer.

Bob Benjamin
Bob Benjamin is offline Find More Posts by Bob Benjamin
Old Nov 01, 2004, 01:41 AM
Cub Fanatic
Lytton Springs, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Benjamin
Dano,

I have had quite a bit of experience with Cubs, both glow and electric powered models as well as several full scale ones. Although I haven't had my hands on one of the 1/5 scale Sig jobs, I feel the extrapolation of details is safe.

A Cub is SUPPOSED to be slow. All the Sig kits are well designed, so that if you have the weight under control and the balance right, they are going to be relatively docile in the air.

Your choice of engine seems small in comparison to what you have seen, but that's because most modelers put WAY too much engine in their Cubs. A good four stroke 45 or 50 size engine would be just about perfect...actually, MORE than scale power, but that's OK 'cause we fly off non scale rough ground in non scale wind. 14.5 inches is the scale prop diameter for your model, and you should try to get as close to that as possible for good scale flying. (That won't be easy with a two stroke...get as near as you can.)

I would suggest that you set up your .46 with a prop that is at the extreme max diameter that will run safely, and low pitch. A real Cub will not loop from level flight...you MUST dive it up to speed first.

One other thing...all Cubs that are built to scale demand that you use the rudder in turns. You can't just push in some aileron without having the plane slip or skid sideways while it's turning. There's nothing wrong with your model...it's part of the design characteristics of the big Cub. Coordinate rudder with aileron...maybe even learn to LEAD your turn with the rudder..and you'll have become a real Cub flyer.

Bob Benjamin

Many thanks, Bob!

I have come across much of the same info in the past, but couldn't find it recently. I don't know what drew me to the cub initially, but the more I learned of it's history the more excited I became.
I am also trying to find (again) a book or web site with decent (read usable) pics and info for a "stand about 15 feet away" scale setup. Since I have re-started my journey with the build I have come across an OS 70 Surpass with very little time on it (it is the first Surpass, not SurpassII). The price was too good to let it get away.
I have yet to "cut the cord" with my trainer, so I still have plenty of time. If you have any info or words of widom to pass along, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks again
Dano13