Old Jan 26, 2014, 08:21 PM
Heli's and Choppers
United States, MI, Hell
Joined Jan 2007
130 Posts
Discussion
Mobius Action Cam Gimbals

Hello Everyone,

I have recently become interested in multi-copters and all the new accessories for flight control, FPV, OSD and others. I was really interested in trying a Mobius camera and I thought I would take a stab at designing my own gimbal for it. It's cold outside and I'm stuck in the house and needed something to keep me busy.

I am starting a design on a Mobius Action Camera Gimbal for a future project.

I will try to keep all progress information in this first post to make it easier to follow.

1. Hobby King 2206-140 brushless motors. #047000027-0
2. Aluminum brackets with additional weight lightening holes.
3. Balanced.
4. Plan on using the Mobius bottom mount tray with double side tape.

Anyway it gave me something to do on this cold day.

ALL SKIDKID DESIGNS ARE PROPRIETORY AND CANNOT BE USED OR COPIED WITHOUT PERMISSION

Mobius is 39g
Gimbal Controller 15g
IMU axis sensor 5g
Motor is 32g
Mounting base plate without screw stud.......... 7 gms.
Mounting base plate with screw stud.............. 10 gms.

2-AXIS Model:
Moved the location of the IMU board to accommodate the Open Source gimbal controllers. Thanks to pug398. post #113.
3.4" overall height. 3.4" overall width. Calculated weight 207g including Mobius, Mobius tray, controller/IMU, motors, screws, balls & brackets.

3-AXIS Model:
3.7" overall height.

Modified 2-axis
Thanks to the input from mupflmapfl post #110.

Full vertical down clearance

Mobius Gimbal concept for new 3DR IRIS Quad... Does vertical 45 degrees, 270 degrees+ down and backwards rotation.
3D CAD estimated with Mobius camera and mounting tray at 185g. (No Controller or IMU Bd.)
The front attachment bracket can be shortened to bring the ball assembly lower and forward to eliminate any GPS signal blockage if discovered.
The vibration dampening balls are partially compressed by about 20% overall to show estimated position.
I would think the gimbal controller has enough room to fit inside the IRIS upper canopy cover.
skidkid is offline Find More Posts by skidkid
Last edited by skidkid; May 07, 2014 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:02 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, Guiguinto
Joined Jul 2011
110 Posts
That is a cool design, can the motor of the vertical plate be mounted behind so the CG and pivot point of the camera will be centered on the vertical plate top mount? are you planning to sell this?
jbx907 is offline Find More Posts by jbx907
Old Jan 27, 2014, 04:45 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbx907 View Post
That is a cool design, can the motor of the vertical plate be mounted behind so the CG and pivot point of the camera will be centered on the vertical plate top mount? are you planning to sell this?
Just extent the top mount to the pivot point of the camera?
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Jan 27, 2014, 06:35 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Very elegant, light and clean design skidkid - I like it!!

I am afraid there is an issue regarding balance:
3. The ROLL optic axis is aligned with gimbal shaft.
The most important design creteria for a gimbal is to keep the whole system perfectly balanced - not so important to keep roll axis aligned with gimbal shaft. The gimbal motors produce very little torque and the roll motor will not be able to keep the camera horizontal.
In your design you need to find out how much the pitch motor and camera mount must be moved to the left to keep the roll motion best possible balanced. The end user may need to fine tune later by adding small weights to the left or right of the balance point. Or you may make a bracket enabling the camera to be moved left/right.
Pitch balance is easier - camera can be slid a little back/forward in the camera mount for balance.

Good luck!

-Jan
jhi is offline Find More Posts by jhi
Old Jan 27, 2014, 06:46 AM
France, near Rennes, Bretagne
Joined Sep 2010
64 Posts
Skidkid, it's an excellent idea to start a new thread about Mobius Action Cam Gimbals ! As I understand it it's not only about your project, so let me mention here some links about other projects. I'll try to keep this list updated in the future.

For those who are new on the subject, all these stabilized gimbals are a combination of :
  • A "Gimbal", mechanical assembly, suspending the camera on 2 axis (pitch, roll) or 3 axis (pitch, roll, yaw). Many are available for the GoPro and can be modified (balanced) for the lighter Mobius camera. Most arer sold with motors, some are sold also with a controller board.
  • One brushless motor per axis (these are different motors than those intended for propulsion)
  • An accelerometer / gyroscope sensor, attached directly to the camera or the camera support
  • A controller board. Some (most) are 2 axis, some are 3 axis. Connected to this board are :
    • a battery - usually 3S Lipo or 12V
    • he sensor board
    • the motors (usually through servo type plugs. Not compatible with servos or a receiver though !)
    • external controls from a receiver or flight controller board, to pan / tilt from the rc conroller (or from a joystick on hand held systems)

LINKS

Mobius GimbalsVideos
Mobius Camera links
Controller Boards
A difficult choice for the newcomer. I'm still learning.. It's important to understand that a controller is both hardware and software. Many projects exist, some with open source hardware or software or both. Some hardware platforms can run different type of software, and some are sold with illegally hacked versions of commercial software.
To fine tune your gimbal, a way to modify parameters in the gimbal internal software is needed. Especially the P,I,D parameters, as they depend of the way your gimbal is balanced, the weight of the moving parts, the power delivered by motors, etc. Most firmware come with a "GUI" (Graphic User Interface) software to adjust all parameters. You plug the controller board to your computer with usb, and use the GUi to fine tune the gimbal.
Here are some links to well known projects
Motors
Many are available. Here are just some popular models
Other links

My own testing platform in the photo below, as described here
François_D is offline Find More Posts by François_D
Last edited by François_D; Mar 01, 2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 07:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
64 Posts
I was writing the same message as Jan... Skidkid, what is exactly your idea about the optical axis alignment ? your gimbal, as described, would not balance. And it's a crucial point for a smooth operation.
Aligning the optical axis with the roll axis is useful, but a lot less useful on a flying platform, because most of the time, objects are so distant that you'll not see any difference.

Jan, when balancing, we always have two directions to check for each axis. For example, I agree that pitch balance is usually easier, but it's not only the back/forward, you also have to check the up/down movement of the camera.

I found it important, while tweaking my gimbal made by Mike : it was derivating from his GoPro gimbal and, I guess, tested with 2208 motors. But the 2206 are a bit lighter, and I found that the roll axis wasn't exactly balanced with my 2206's. The whole assembly screwed on the roll motor has to be screwed a bit higher, and that's not adjstable.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 07:17 AM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidkid View Post
Hello Everyone,

I was really interested in trying a Mobius camera and I thought I would take a stab at designing my own gimbal for it. It's cold outside do I'm stuck in the house and needed something to keep me busy.

I am starting a design on a Mobius Action Camera Gimbal for a future project. This needs much more work but I wanted to throw it out there for any input.

6. Finish or use existing upper mount system.

Anyway it gave me something to do on this cold day.

Added lightening holes in the brackets.
I likey!
I want one!

You have a very nice & compact design there.

A mount to use on a Blade 350QX would be my request if doable.

Maybe a mount setup where different adapter plates could be interchanged for various craft?
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Old Jan 27, 2014, 08:49 AM
Heli's and Choppers
United States, MI, Hell
Joined Jan 2007
130 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback. I wanted to use the same bracket for both V & H axis but looks like I may need to rethink the balance point for the roll arm.

I thought about making these available depending on cost.

Regarding different mounts, I would have a difficult time as I don't have the specific info for each application.

Regards
Last edited by skidkid; Jan 27, 2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:05 PM
Heli's and Choppers
United States, MI, Hell
Joined Jan 2007
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
Just extent the top mount to the pivot point of the camera?
Why is this important? Seems like it has nothing to do with balance.

Help please...

What size hole do the rubber isolators need in a bracket?

Dimensions needed to 3D model the part.

Thanks
Last edited by skidkid; Jan 27, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
72 Posts
Great thread!

Spent the last few weeks looking for gimbal designs for the mobius that i can use on my bixler 1.1 plane. I mention the bixler as I didn't want the hang underneath gimbal for obvious reasons. I found a 3D print on thingiverse which i thought I could adapt by switching the upright around. Managed to get it printed for £20 not a great print but it will do as no doubt I will smash it up in no time :-) I intend to build a quadcopter at some point so no doubt this gimbal will be reused.

Motors are 2208 and board is a running Alexmos 2.2b firmware. All seems ok so far but the proof will be in the flying & unfortunately the weather has been terrible.:roll eyes:

Hopefully I will be able to share some video with you soon.

Stuart
sdemmery is online now Find More Posts by sdemmery
Old Jan 27, 2014, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
64 Posts
Nice to see the Turbi plan printed ! I have a Bixler too, and I plan to install the Mobius stabilized on roll only. It could be a lot more compact and I'm not sure the pitch stabilisation is as useful as it is on a multicopter...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by François_D View Post
Nice to see the Turbi plan printed ! I have a Bixler too, and I plan to install the Mobius stabilized on roll only. It could be a lot more compact and I'm not sure the pitch stabilisation is as useful as it is on a multicopter...
I was having that exact same thought, the pitch is likely to get lots of the nose in shot unless I cut it off a bit. Don't fancy either scenario. I am toying with the idea of a Quad for the gimbal, but Im also interested in getting into FPV with the bixler, so have to decided which to do. My better half is very patient but I have had a lot of bits and pieces turn up lately and I reckon a quad & FPV gear my push her over the edge

Stuart
sdemmery is online now Find More Posts by sdemmery
Old Jan 27, 2014, 07:20 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidkid View Post
Hi Guys,

I thought about making these available depending on cost.

Regarding different mounts, I would have a difficult time as I don't have the specific info for each application.

Regards
Just the Mobius' standard 1/4-20 tripod thread item in center of photo.....
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:00 PM
Fly First // Post Later
Joined May 2013
782 Posts
Subscribed ! I was hoping to find a thread like this and here I am
RumbleQuad is online now Find More Posts by RumbleQuad
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
23 Posts
MobiusCam two axis gimbal by kopteraddiction

Hello guys, I saw the thread also place my work, I also have photos of the prototype to post, but first I want to try it i'm waiting for the rain stops.
Describe in brief the gimbal ... is made with material POM-C, very robust, the control board is mounted behind, the IMU is fixed on the support that keeps the MobiusCam. There is a screw under the arm that holds the mobius inside of the arm.
Another important feature is that the system is fitted with an interlocking and reinforcing only two screws included (A2 stainless steel) and it will be possible to mount the GoPro Hero 3 by replacing the arm!
I hope you like it!

Markuc is offline Find More Posts by Markuc