SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jpurcha, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:24 AM
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
488 Posts
Discussion
How time flies

I picked up my first model airplane magazine at Ebbling's Pharmarcy in the southdale shopping mall in January 1974. How 40 years has gone by quickly. The feature plane was Bob Violett's Shrike pattern plane. I had a paper route so I could afford to purchase a set of plans. Still have them to this day. Searched for a fibreglass fuselage with no luck. Working on plans for a balsa build.

My first Midwest Sweetstick had an Enya 0.35 engine and a World Engines 5 channel radio. The plane didn't last long, I built a warp into the wing and it barrell rolled on take off. My parent's feeling sorry for me, gave me a Goldberg Falcon 56 Mark II as a Christmas present. I built and used it as a part of a science project in high school. I like the metallic blue and red on the Blue Angel pattern plane, so I covered it in monokote, blue, red and white. Flew great.

When I went to University to pursue an engineering degree I put most of my hobby stuff aside for a while (also looking for work and an interest in women). I tried to get back into flying with a high wing trainer (blue and yellow kit). When radio's went from AM systems to FM, my spouse tried to convince me to give up the powered planes and take up model gliders. I sold every thing at a club swap meet and put money into a Futaba 7UAP system. Started a glider, but both sat on the corner of the basement for ten years. Every few months I would venture into the LHS to pickup a magazine. Weekends were helping my parents at their cottage. I never thought of flying during the week and not always on a weekend.

After getting a back pay cheque from my employer, I thought instead of investing in a new computer, I would get another kit and engine. This was around 2000, and the LHS owner had sold me a Supertigre 40 and a Hobbico Avistar ARF. Wow no building, no warped wings and no long winter building season. This was put aside as my daughter was born the following year and than my son three years later.

I unboxed the Avistar in 2006 and joined one of the local clubs to learn how to fly again. Boy did I find out I missed some interesting models in the market from 90's to 2005. I did attempt to fly a Hobbico Superstar Ep in 2005, but my first hand chuck with a brushed motor was not too good. I still have the model, but have switched it to brushless electric. Much better and can takeoff from the runway now.

Found out I still like building as much as flying. I built a Kraft Kit 4 Seasons 40. I've built from plans, a F-18 pusher model. And finally maiden a Tower Kaos this past September.

It's become a bit of a family affair as I had both kids in the club this past year. My daughter Katrina (12) was flying hands off with the instructor the first evening. Brent (8) was just learning how to land at the end of the season. He can't wait to solo this year.

As much as l like ARF's, I still like building with balsa.
jpurcha is offline Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jpurcha; Jan 27, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts