HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2004, 03:23 PM
JB
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jan 2000
763 Posts
DC-9-21 EDF model

Some fellow modellers have encouraged me to open this new thread and show details of my current project: A Douglas DC-9-21, scale 1:11. SAS phased out the aircraft last year, but I managed to have a close look at some of them and take several photos and measurements before they were ferried to the US – some of them with my friend Torben Back Sřrensen at the controls.

I wanted a large model in order to accommodate several scale features and to have a docile model to fly. The scale 1:11 will allow for near scale nacelles with 120mm fans powered by HP 370/20/A3S motors = some 3kp thrust per engine.

Main data:
Span (overall) 2586 mm
Length (overall) 2893 mm
Height 762 mm
Wing root chord 493 mm
Tip chord 100 mm
Wing area 76,83 dm2
Est. all up weight 9 kg

Main features: Scale retracts with doors, Wheel brakes, scale flaps incl. inner triple slotted section, full leading edge slats, spoilers.

My first concern was transportation. It has to go into a normal passenger car. I decided to make the fuselage in two sections and detachable wings, tail and rear cone. They can then be stowed into a 60x70x130cm box....I hope!

More pictures to follow shortly......
JB is offline Find More Posts by JB
Last edited by JB; Dec 23, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2004, 03:50 PM
Joined Feb 2004
14 Posts
Love The Idea of a DC-9. Presumably foam. Would love to get the plans and build one myself
CAW_01 is offline Find More Posts by CAW_01
Old Mar 10, 2004, 04:20 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
JB, sounds very nice! Can't wait to see more pics.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Old Mar 10, 2004, 05:47 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,523 Posts
Cool likes like a few airliners coming out. JB we wopuld love ot see the design and build as you progress through it.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 10, 2004, 06:48 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
signing in to follow the thread, I'm most interested in the LE Slats set up and how your going to make this "transportable" Who makes 120mm Fans ?
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:35 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
JB, if your DC9 will be so wonderfull as your Airbus A300 I vote you for the title "King of Modellairliners"

Greetings from vienna

Rudi

P.S Go on and give us more photos please !
Rudi is online now Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Mar 11, 2004, 05:10 AM
JB
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jan 2000
763 Posts
These are the parts to be assembled before flying. The wings are fitted with four dural studs to be locked to the centre wing by 3mm grub screws. The studs are secured to the carbon tube main spars by cyano and kevlar.

The two basic fuselage frames consist of five longitudinal carbon tubes fitted with dural end pieces at the joining face. Five 2mm screws are used for assembling the two halves of the fuselage.

Two 4mm titanium rods protrude below the vertical tail and fits into the fuselage where they are secured by 3mm grub screws. A further 2mm screw is fitted at the foremost end of the tail.
The horizontal tail is attached at its pivoting point by two nylon brackets secured to the vertical tail by four nylon screws. A trim device – to be designed later – will be linked to the tail near the leading edge.

Having solved the assembly I could concentrate on designing the various components. I always start with the most complicated items. If they cannot be made there is no point in going any further!

I started during the winter 2002/2003 with the undercarriage. Then the triple slotted flap sections and the leading edge mechanism.
More later.......
Old Mar 11, 2004, 02:58 PM
JB
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jan 2000
763 Posts
Nose Gear:
Flight and maintenance manuals show perspective drawings, but no actual dimensions so I had to take a few measurements on the gear to get the proportions reasonably right. The linkage activating the doors is done in a clever way and I wanted to do the same on the model.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 03:02 PM
JB
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jan 2000
763 Posts
I worked several hours at the pc to make a set of drawings and then at my small lathe/milling machine to make all the bits and pieces.

The leg has a build in coil spring and direct steering is provided through a servo fitted on top of the leg allowing small turning radius on the ground. The rims are machined in two halves and joined by eight 1mm screws and nuts. A 4mm alu-nut and a similar locknut secure the wheel to the shaft.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 03:06 PM
JB
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jan 2000
763 Posts
Here is a side wiev:-
Old Mar 11, 2004, 03:23 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
JB, your work is just amazing! Talk about being inspirational.
You are THE Master Modeler of the Ezone in my book!

Thanks for the great pics!
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Last edited by Hawker; Mar 12, 2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 04:05 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jun 2003
445 Posts
Oh... wow!

Can't wait to see more!
Iso Octane is offline Find More Posts by Iso Octane
Old Mar 11, 2004, 05:22 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
He-llo! Here I am sanding blue foam and there you are engineering miniature parts that could pass any A&P inspection. Simply amazing!! I'm not worthy.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:02 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
Incredible, what it is possible Against you JB I am a small sausage, please go on and share with us your construction !

Thank you

Rudi
Rudi is online now Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:08 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,057 Posts
JB, this has to be the ultimate Airliner project so far. Amazing! I am extremely impressed.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member