HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RGinCanada, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:05 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Discussion
A philosophical take on the hobby...

In one of my increasingly brief moments of clarity, it occurred to me that r/c models are very much like pets. You need to accept that they are only with you for a limited time.

Some, like my scratch built herring boat, are like a tortoise. It will probably be around long after I'm gone...

Then there is my little tug, "King Koil"... It is like a horse. Useful, dependable, but at some point you know it will need to be put down.

A scratch built plane like the Chipmunk I'm building now is like a dog; you hope it will be a companion for a good long time, and that as a pilot you won't do the aviation equivalent of sending into the road to play

Foamies and the like are the hamsters of the radio controlled world. They are cute and fun, but prone to "shuffling off this mortal coil" for reasons known only to the EPO deities..

Accepting that makes flying/boating/driving all the more enjoyable. Savor your time with your models now, tomorrow they may be gone!
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:12 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,092 Posts
DJI quads are like Zebra, know one knows what the hell is going on with them!
dogz85 is online now Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC's for multies
Old Feb 03, 2014, 12:02 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,894 Posts
Hey RG!

That's hilarious, and so blindly true that it hurts! I've kept grievously damaged models around for years because I couldn't bear to throw them away, only to finally put them out of their misery when hangar space became an issue. Just like pets indeed...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Feb 03, 2014, 12:47 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogz85 View Post
DJI quads are like Zebra, know one knows what the hell is going on with them!
Good one... I was going to say helicopters are like cats. I'm not a cat person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Hey RG!

That's hilarious, and so blindly true that it hurts! I've kept grievously damaged models around for years because I couldn't bear to throw them away, only to finally put them out of their misery when hangar space became an issue. Just like pets indeed...

Steve
The analogy gets awkward when you salvage parts out of old models, and recycle them into new ones though :P
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member