Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2004, 05:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,047 Posts
Rant
A mistake buying from CENTURY JET MFG!!

Based upon the advice given by a few various warbird flyers, I bought Century Jet retracts for my P-47. I bought them thru Tower Hobbies. I also ordered, thru Century Jet, a P-47 retractable tailwheel and gear door standoffs. That was on Feb 24. I received my order from Tower Hobbies in 2 days. One of the oleo struts is defective out of the box. It sticks. And if you force it to move it scrapes and galls and it also leaks lube. Tower says thet CJ wants to deal with defects on its own. So I contacted the Tech Dept at CJ. I have heard nothing back.

I also never received my order from CJ yet for the tailwheel. It takes no longer than 5 days for shipping UPS across the country and 2 days if it goes US mail. After a week I contacted CJ and asked where my order is. No reply. It's been 2 weeks since I ordered the tailwheel. They took my money right away. And I have not received it. I have a brand new out of the box defective landing gear, and they won't respond to my warranty request.

I guess it would be fair to say I have been screwed by Century Jet!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Last edited by Paul Wilson; Mar 09, 2004 at 09:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2004, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2 Posts
CJM is the reason i started to fabricate my own gears. Had a set of f7f gears 8 years ago or so and sent them back vowing to do better.
jackumac is offline Find More Posts by jackumac
Old Mar 09, 2004, 09:07 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,047 Posts
jackumac: you make gears at home or your work? That's pretty cool, you must be a machinist!

-Tom
Old Mar 09, 2004, 09:31 PM
I can 3 point
Mount Dora Florida
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
You say you contacted them, did you actually speak to anyone on the phone. I am neutral on CJ stuff, some good, some fair, never really quality of manufacture but sometimes unsure about design. ie : my 262 main gear originally had no up or down locks they were designed that way, CJ rebuilt the set with locks but the nose gear still has no lock. I have some spit gear that is fine and I am about to get some for a 92" Hawker Typhoon. I trust them as much as anyone, my Robart 150 for my new Byron Corsair are 1/4 inch longer than the old models, why? they go in the same place. The point is that no-one is perfect, I know more people that have good than bad experiences with CJ. Talk about waiting, Sierra are some of the best gear around but there are some that have been waiting months for rotating gear.
Call CJ and talk to a human and tell us what they say, never rely on email or website entry for support, some are good and some are bad.
I hope things work out, let us know.
by the way , which plane are they for. we would like to see it. I know it is tough not to get angry but I don't think you have been gipped by CJ yet, just poor communication. Let us know if you are not taken care of.
Good luck
Paul
Paul Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Paul Wilson
Old Mar 09, 2004, 10:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2 Posts
Tom, am not a trained machinist, have some tools here and ideas based on full scale eposure on how they should be. as in stainless is possibly the worst metal to use for a gear, not real stiff but heavy. 4130 steel is nice, welds easy. o ring actuators need a lot of force just to move the o ring, cup seals are lots smoother. pop rivets also just do not seem right for assembly either.
jackumac is offline Find More Posts by jackumac
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:14 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,047 Posts
Paul, for 3 years now since I got back into r/c all my 'mailorder' purchases have been via online ordering systems and e-mail. Even warranty issues have been solved via e-mail. I have never been ignored before nor needed to make a phone call. CJ does not have a toll free phone number to call. That means I have to incure even more expense to pay for a long distance phone call, driving up the cost of these retracts.

Plus, I can control my temper better when I compose a letter than getting angry in a phone call at someone.

Bottom line is, if you are in business today with an online ordering system and e-mail addresses for sales and tech support you darn better ought to man them and respond to customers via e-mail. That is how business is done today. No excuses.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:47 PM
NC
Joined Oct 2003
526 Posts
I think you need to make a phone call. I have been doing busniess with CJM since they opened their door. I call and talk to them and usually have anything I need in a few days. Personally I always like to make my purchases while talking to a person that way I have a name so incase of future problems.

Ty Brown
Meister P-47 CJM gear
Meister Zero Cjm gear
P-51 CJM gear
Meister 109 CJM gear
Fw 190 CJM gear
I designed My Savoia Marchetti S 79 around CJM gear
fockewulf37 is offline Find More Posts by fockewulf37
Last edited by fockewulf37; Mar 11, 2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 01:19 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,477 Posts
I talked with Bruce on several ocassions and he was always the nicest guy to chat with. However, that did not make my buying experience any better nor did it do a thing for the poor quality of the product. I might consider purchasing from CJM again were it just for the bad customer service. However, that is not the case. I won't buy from CJM again because out of five sets of their gear that I've had exactly ZERO were of satisfactory quality. They use unsuitable quality metals, all of the gear I've owned from them had very excessive slop both in the up locked and down locked positions, and the overall construction was just sloppy. I post my experiences with CJM because I want potential buyers to beware but also because I would like to see CJM get things turned around.
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Mar 30, 2004, 09:20 PM
Crete Il
Joined Nov 2003
81 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree with Chad above. My ONE & ONLY transaction with CJM had a great start with CJM taking my cash. I ordered a set of P-51 retracts for a 60 size Top Flight kit. After FIVE WEEKS, with not even an e-mail to what was up, I deceided to call up and get the scuttlebutt. I was told that everyone had the FLU, and that they were having a hard time getting orders out. So my sympathy was pushed, and I did feel alittle sorry for them. But, what, wait a minute here, how many people work down there? two or three maybe. But come on FIVE weeks. So anyhoots, I finally received my retracts, and now lets talk about being LET DOWN, Grinder marks were all over the outside, the pop rivits on the sciccors were loose, and the over all condition was crappy. They looked like they were bought at a swap meet or something. So to make a long story shorter, I sent them back and bought some from Robart. I never knew that there were so many people that had problems with CJM. I would never solicit my business to them again. Drew.
Drew's M-1 is offline Find More Posts by Drew's M-1
Old Apr 05, 2004, 10:40 AM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Mar 2004
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drew's M-1
...So anyhoots, I finally received my retracts, and now lets talk about being LET DOWN, Grinder marks were all over the outside, the pop rivits on the sciccors were loose, and the over all condition was crappy. They looked like they were bought at a swap meet or something...
Drew
WOOOOOOW Lets not bash the swap. I went this last sunday and came away with 6 engines in near perfect condition (including two 5-cylinder radials) and a few other odds and ends for $100. I feel kinda guilty now, but thats all the old lady would take (offered $1000). They're being cleaned as I speak. Anybody have and ideas on dealing with guilt?
wildwoodfalcon is offline Find More Posts by wildwoodfalcon
Old Apr 05, 2004, 01:17 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,477 Posts
Wildwood, send everything to me. I will deal with the guilt issues and relieve you of your suffering.
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Apr 05, 2004, 01:19 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
no way Chad, I got dibs on the radials :-)
only if I know who it is from here! LOL

Todd
tburley is offline Find More Posts by tburley
Old Apr 07, 2004, 09:51 AM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Mar 2004
3 Posts
probably should have told you all that now im starting a couple projects that are gonna use the engines. sorry for getting your hopes up. all the same, go to the swap every now and then and you will get lucky sooner or later.
wildwoodfalcon is offline Find More Posts by wildwoodfalcon
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:32 PM
Crete Il
Joined Nov 2003
81 Posts
Well, I guess if you went to a swap meet at the local mental center, and if you bought 6 engines and 2 of them are 5 cylinder radials for 100 bucks then the people that you bought them from has mental issues or its bull. The blocks are worth more than that. And every swap that I've been to, people are not that stupid. Atleast here in Chicago.
Drew's M-1 is offline Find More Posts by Drew's M-1
Old May 07, 2004, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2004
95 Posts
(Personal attack removed by moderator)
mAKE A PHONE CALL.

Trying to solve a problem via email is stupid. Make a phone call instead of complaining on an open forum. dumb dumb dumb.

I see you made they exact post on rcu too! get a life!

Personal Attacks are not permitted in the RC Groups forums, please abide by the forum posting guidelines
chopperjoe is offline Find More Posts by chopperjoe
Last edited by Paul Wilson; May 08, 2004 at 04:11 AM.