SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2001, 05:53 PM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
Flying in the LIVING ROOM!!!

I have had the Litestik's, some scratch built stuff, and got the normal electric hangar now, but I GOT TO HAVE SOMETHING I CAN FLY IN THE HOUSE! Does this mean BLIMPS?? Has anyone built a AIRPLANE shaped envelope filled with helium for lift, and used thrust for flight control?? Kinda a HYBRID BLIMP/AIRPLANE set-up. I like airplanes, can't afford a HELI right now! So, I have been looking into some blimp/ballon set-ups, what do you guys think about this idea?? I found a site that sells the mylar in 38" wide rolls that you can cut and seal with your covering iron, and am thinking about building a sort of airplane shape, with normal tractor motor(GWS I think)AAA batt. pack, maybe 4 cell, since you dont have to have thrust to fly, just move. I was thinking about 1/32" depron for flight surfaces, and REALLY BIG since they will just be working from the prop blast! I'd be happy with just rudder/elevator and throttle for now. I think that the GWS direct drive with small prop should work good. Has anybody else tried this?? Here are some questions I have about this:

1. BALANCE--What does a helium filled airplane do? Will it want to float nose up? Tail up?? 1 wing higher than the other? Or if I put everything on the bottom of the fuse, and balance it like a normal airplane, will it fly ok?

2. THROTTLE--Will I want reverse thrust?

3. WEIGHT--It will need to be ballasted for level flight with power, without power, or half throttle??

I am really wanting something I can fly in the house...I have a small house, small budget, and BIG IDEAS! Please feel free to take this idea and run, I JUST HAVE TO FIGURE OUT SOMETHING TO FLYIN THE HOUSE! SINCE ITS RAINED FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT! Later.....Chris
Chris Rust is offline Find More Posts by Chris Rust
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2001, 07:37 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
Try the toytronics (i think) indoor helium balloon. It's a fun little
toy but it requires constant fiddiling with as the balloon slowly
leaks helium. Other wise once filled and ballasted correctly
it's a neat indoor craft. It uses two props for propulsion and
steering and a single horizontal prop for altitude control.
It comes with ballast plates, rescue figures and a rescue hook.
It's a bit like flying a space craft as just little bursts of power are
required to send it in the desired direction and a lot of forethought needs to be used to counter the momentum.

Oh yeah, If you get one of these be sure to turn off all fans
and anything else that moves air, it's that sensitive.

If you find any 4" span piper cubs for indoor flying let me know.
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis
Old Dec 17, 2001, 07:12 AM
St. Paul, MN
Joined Feb 2001
337 Posts
The Vectron Blackhawk is a fun hovering saucer for indoor use. Just recieved mine and love it!

Can be had from Spiegel for $50! Regular price is $65 - $90.

Chad
towlebooth is offline Find More Posts by towlebooth
Old Dec 17, 2001, 04:45 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
Got a 4" span MIG 15

Free flight though .... but we are working on it!

http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/MIG2.jpg
http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/plans.htm
aeronutz is offline Find More Posts by aeronutz
Old Dec 19, 2001, 10:22 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,929 Posts
I wish I had a really large living room. When I was a kid in Milwaukee, we lived in an old house with living room and dining room connected. I could fly small rubber powered Comet structo-speed planes about 25 feet in there. There are a number of these old shet balsa kits on Ebay right now.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 19, 2001, 11:08 AM
Joined Dec 2000
289 Posts
Buy A bigger House

Thats what you need see how simple the solutions is
Spin_Doctor is offline Find More Posts by Spin_Doctor
Old Dec 19, 2001, 12:52 PM
Hairy E-Pilot
Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Joined Dec 2000
554 Posts
Chris

Every time this comes up it gets me thinking about my long time dream (since about 1989) to build a scale rigid airship, the radio and power gear keeps getting smaller so maybe someday Iíll be able to lift it with a small enough envelope to fit in a small room. So, be for you get to deep into this helium filled plane ideaÖ 1 cubic foot of helium will lift about 1 oz (or 1 cubic meter lifts 1 Kg), so weigh all your gear and figure out the needed volume. You could model the lifting envelope by using a cylinder for the fuselage and a rectangular block for the wing, I fear that the required size might be to large for a living room flier. But Iím the type to never say never, some things may not be practical but the doesnít mean they wont work, best of luck and keep us informed.

Gary
All__talk is offline Find More Posts by All__talk
Old Dec 19, 2001, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,929 Posts
Rigid Airships

I'm not a math whiz ( either) but as I recall it takes a huge model dirigible ( 25' long x 6 feet diam) to develop enough lift to carry its own structure weight plus a few ounces of radio and motor gear, etc. There used to be a website that covered model airships and restoration of Erector set parts(?). ( Not Nyblimp).
Remember the comedian who had a pedal power blimp?
Cool!!!
Old Dec 19, 2001, 03:06 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,929 Posts
Rigid Airships-I'm All Wet

Go here, this guy sells plans for his 13foot Mylar dirigible, says minimum size is 9 foot with current technology. Lots of good info and FAQ here too!

http://home.earthlink.net/~jfackler/index.html