SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2004, 09:25 PM
Pensacola Regional, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Power supply for bench testing Phoenix controllers

Any advice on what type of power supply is safe to use to power the Phoenix controllers for bench testing. I have one similar to this http://ramboy.com/cosel.htm (I have the K150 that's sold out) and want to verify it's safe to use.

Thanks,
Ron
rakm is offline Find More Posts by rakm
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2004, 04:53 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Do you want to use it directly in place of a drive battery? Hmmmm..... Patrick will have to weigh in here. One thing is that you'd have to make sure that your power system was propped for less than the current that supply can deliver (13A, isn't it?).

I don't know what the ramifications are of feeding rectified AC to an ESC in place of plugging in a battery. I know Kontronik and Schulze instructions caution strongly against doing such a thing, but that may be due to European CE RF noise regulations as much as any functional issues with the ESC.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Mar 09, 2004, 05:54 PM
Baltimore Bwi Rr Stn, Maryland, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Re: Power supply for bench testing Phoenix controllers

Quote:
Originally posted by rakm
Any advice on what type of power supply is safe to use to power the Phoenix controllers for bench testing. I have one similar to this http://ramboy.com/cosel.htm (I have the K150 that's sold out) and want to verify it's safe to use.

Thanks,
Ron
I have run my PHX 50 with a 13.5V 15A bench supply with no trouble. The PS you reference is adequately regulated and protected, not a problem. Patrick and company do excellent work. Your controller is safe to use.
whanderson is offline Find More Posts by whanderson
Old Mar 10, 2004, 02:25 PM
Pensacola Regional, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Yes this was to use in place of a battery for bench testing various props with the same motor. I talked with Patrick on this and he said it should be ok as long as the power leads coming from the power supply to the esc are not excessively long. Tested this out last night and it seems to be working fine so far. Thanks for the replys...

Ron
rakm is offline Find More Posts by rakm
Old Mar 10, 2004, 03:18 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Glad you got the answer right from "the man" himself.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:33 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
The other thing is that the input caps will run hotter on a power supply than on a battery -- so it's a good idea to add some output caps to the power supply itself. About 10,000uf of 35V caps should work fine. (and can be bought fairly cheaply at Radio Shack.)

The reason is that a battery will take power BACK from the controller and a power supply won't. (A brushless controller will both source current from the power supply, and try to force the power supply to sink current as well -- a battery will source and sink current, a power supply usually will only source current.)

Patrick
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo