SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2004, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2004
64 Posts
My dad wants to get a SIM, before getting an actual heli, so need some help...

My dad wants to get a heli sim, before he actually buys a real heli. Maybe to see if he'll enjoy it or something, I don't know. I've read here the XTR is the way to go, but it doesn't come with an actual controller, so my question is, what would be the best thing to do for a controller? And in order to experience the heli sim to the fullest, how many channels on the controller would you need?
Prozak is offline Find More Posts by Prozak
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2004, 08:39 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2002
1,183 Posts
Reflex XTR requires only a 4 channel transmitter to fly helicopters since the models on XTR default to governor mode. i.e. the software controls the head speed of the helicopter. To minimise your up front cost, you can buy a cheap/used 4 channel on Ebay pretty cheap..
gregw is offline Find More Posts by gregw
Old Mar 08, 2004, 09:14 PM
Joined Feb 2004
64 Posts
So would you recommend getting the cheapeast 4 channel just to use the software? Or should this also be something I would use for the actual heli? And would a battery pack be needed? Or does the USB give sufficient current?
Last edited by Prozak; Mar 08, 2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2004, 11:26 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2002
1,183 Posts
It really depends on whether your dad is really serious about picking up rc helis... If he just wants to try it out, then the cheap 4 channel tx is good enough for him to practice on the sim. If he wants a good enough tx to go from the sim to a real heli, then I'd recommend a Futaba 9CHP. I use my 9CHP on both my real helis and the sim.. The advantage here is that since I'm using the same tx for both, the feel is the same and the switches are all in the same location.

You will need batteries as the XTR USB cord does not provide any current to the tx. I've upgraded the batteries in my 9CHP to Nimah 1850mah. This will last 15 hours if it is only used on the sim without activating the frequency module.
gregw is offline Find More Posts by gregw
Old Mar 09, 2004, 02:36 AM
Joined Feb 2004
64 Posts
I think a cheap radio will probably be the best thing since I really don't know how serious he wants to get into it at the moment. I did see a brand new skylark futaba with a buyout of 25 dollars, just the tx, but it seems like a good deal since that's all he'll need. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Old Mar 09, 2004, 04:03 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
You probably already know this, but before you get that "Skylark" don't forget to check that it has a training/buddy socket. Some of the very cheap Txs don't and that means they can't be used with a simulator (or an instructor).

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin