HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Discussion
JR's New 28X

The new flagship JR radio
Exclusive news for RCAT members, and If someone wants to link this info to that "other site" go ahead, anyway you guys get to know before anyone else on the web, the new radio is called a 28X!

The radio will be seen tomorrow for the first time at the AMA show, I got a brief glimpse of the chassis of the radio today as the JR crew were setting up their booth, really nice all metal gimbals, even higher quality than the current 12X gimbals, not sure if the name means a full 28 channels, I will have more info tomorrow and if I can get a good WIFI signal at the show I will post more info. From what I was told it will be loaded with all sorts of goodies, when changing flight modes it will talk to us, he even said something about it playing music, but I need to verify that.

So there you go, I can't guarantee it but I am pretty sure we are the first to know, updates will come ASAP.

I got this off of RCAT
http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/th...gship-JR-radio
brey is offline Find More Posts by brey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2014, 04:00 PM
United States, MN, Saint Cloud
Joined Oct 2012
113 Posts
Any news yet from the AMA expo? I am soooooo anxious!
airwild is online now Find More Posts by airwild
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Here you go!!
http://www.jramericas.com/28x/
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:14 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,158 Posts
I've never owned a JR radio, and as a Futaba user, I hafta say this looks like one awesome radio
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
113 Posts
It looks like they hit a grand slam with this radio! I was not expecting their new flagship to be so revolutionary. I am impressed to say the least! This puts Jr back on the map since the speltrum-jr debacle.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
I've never owned a JR radio, and as a Futaba user, I hafta say this looks like one awesome radio
Pete

Nether have I. I was hoping it would be like this. Maybe this will get futaba of there butt and put a good update out for my 18mz. Price cuts of there way over priced sensors and about every thing Elsa they sell too.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
113 Posts
If it is android based, that means it could have blue tooth and Wii fii capabilities. Just imagine being able to go online through the radio for updates and apps! Brilliant!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:47 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,418 Posts
Wow...impressive. Looking forward to fondling one.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
Wow...impressive. Looking forward to fondling one.

Tom
A new radio like this is kinda like a Hot sl-t in the corner of a bar!
We all want to be frist!! Second if we have to be!! Sorry fu
I hope I can say that here??
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:31 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwild View Post
It looks like they hit a grand slam with this radio! I was not expecting their new flagship to be so revolutionary. I am impressed to say the least! This puts Jr back on the map since the speltrum-jr debacle.
Errr, what exactly is "revolutionary" here?
  • Essentially the same ergonomics as all their previous radios with a few minor tweaks (though at least the hideous Transformers styling has been dropped for this one);
  • A colour touchscreen that you won't be able to see in bright sunlight and that eats batteries (a la the high end Futabas);
  • Machined aluminium gimbals and chassis (Jeti)
  • 65,536 resolution on the sticks - that is unique, but pointless. What servo has that resolution?
  • SD card and USB - everyone's got it now.
No mention of off TX programming a la OpenTX either - I could never go back to a system that didn't offer this now. If it's priced to compete with the DX9 it will be successful, but somehow I doubt that. For those who want functionality and value rather than the latest man jewellery the Taranis (which ironically is ergonomically identical) remains the radio of choice.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Jan 10, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
I agree the Taranis is sweet!!
I will have one soon.
But the big boys do push the market. Makes smaller company's like frsky to go further and add more for less. that makes the bigger company's respond back.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2013
131 Posts
xxxxxxx
firmware is offline Find More Posts by firmware
Last edited by firmware; Jan 10, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
113 Posts
This will be a very high quality radio that will last a long time. The taranis is a nice value for sure, but the quality of the hardware comes at a price. The 28x will be awesome for those who can afford it. It definitely shows that Jr will be going down the voice telemetry road from here out.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:28 PM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
478 Posts
Ugh, last thing I would want is my radio to be powered by Android... just so my radio can also randomly lockup, run out of memory, randomly reboot, eat batteries and easily get hacked like my cell phone... no thanks.

Other wise nice unit with C&C Gimbals etc.

Hopefully they have a tight lid on the Android part and are running it like a Real Time Operating System but if it's allowed to surf the web and go to the stores... lookout.

No idea of price I assume yet?
Thorvald is offline Find More Posts by Thorvald
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:04 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
428 Posts
WOW!!! how fast those crap junkbox Taranus owners are attempting to compare their CHEAP & already falling-apart plastic garbage with the ALWAYS superb quality of JR radios.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap