HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Dji s1000

The price has been released on the new DJI S1000 Octocopter.

Splash

After much speculation the DJI S1000 price is finally revealed!

Hey guys, probably due to the 2014 CES show going on in Vegas this weekend, the price of the new DJI S1000 was released today.

$3999.99 will buy this monster.

• Retractable landing gear
  • Take-off weight: 10kg
  • Aircraft weight:4.3kg
  • 15in folding propellers
  • Flight time is 15min with Z15-5D gimbal, 15000mah battery (1.8kg)
  • Flight time is 19min with Z15-5D gimbal, 20000mah battery (2.4kg)
  • Installation space for DJI A2 multirotor autopilot
  • Carbon-pipe foldng frame arms
  • Diagonal wheelbase is 1100mm
  • 4114 motor
  • XT90 plug
Take a look at this pretty awesome folding Octo:

Discussion

Old Jan 09, 2014, 01:30 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,422 Posts
That is one sexy looking Octo!!!
I guess I better start saving my pennies.

Here is the official video of it.

DJI Introduces Spreading Wings S1000 (4 min 15 sec)

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Jan 24, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 02:22 PM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Jan 2005
577 Posts
$4000.00 is ridiculous that should be the price with the A2 controller. At this price you would be better off getting any of the other Octos that are proven and getting the zenmuse separately.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old Jan 09, 2014, 02:43 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Well its about the same price as a Droidworx (err i think they changed their name to Aeronavics now) Skyjib but with the motors, esc's and props. It also makes the Cinestar8 way cheaper even though you have to buy motors, esc's and props it should still come out way cheaper.

I think for that price I'll pass. If it came with a A2 then I would consider it and knowing DJI that might happen in a few months after release.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dolby; Jan 09, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 05:31 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,077 Posts
Is it me, or are multi's getting more and more ridiculous when it comes to price??

Let me put it this way. It is entirely possible to build a 3-meter wingspan UAV, all composite, with a 6kg+ (more like 8-9) MTOW. An aircraft like this requires large machined aluminum molds, and hard work and labor lay up the composite, etc. Not to mention the cost of composite material that is actually in the airframe. As you can imagine, there is much more resin and composite cloth (whether it is fiberglass or carbon) in this type of airframe than in Multi's.

Now take an airframe like the DJI s800 (or 1000). They are $3200 (800) or $4000 (1000) for an airframe, motors and props. (no FC, or other equipment). Tack on the price of the $700+ retract landing gear kit. The manufacturing for this aircraft is very little work. These companies source out carbon tubing, as well as their carbon flat sheet. They use a waterjet, cnc or even a single acxis mil, to cut these flat sheets. Then tubes are cut to length. The labor, time, and complexity of production is VERY low.

Now lets go back to that 3-meter UAV. it can be sold for as little as $600-$700 at retail prices. In other words, the actually OEM cost is much, much less, allowing room for mark up, shipping, and other overhead costs.

$600-$700 highly labor intensive, and expensive manufacturing, compared to this, easy-to-manufacture, s1000 for $4k

Okay, so the DJI multi comes with props and motors. I still do not see the price. For example, a composite 3-meter airframe (The Mugin) comes with a twin cylinder 55cc gas engine, including ignition, for only $2300. This means a more complex manufacturing process for not only the airframe, but the motor, and still less expensive than some of these multi airframes.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

-Justin

PS. Keep in mind, I am not comparing multi's vs fixed wing in technology OR abilities. I am simply comparing the hiked up Price, vs Manufacturing of multi's to other aspects.
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jan 09, 2014, 05:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
I think what you are paying for is the "R&D”.

Anyone can build a 1000mm Octo with everything (motors, esc’s, FC, Frame and Gimbal) for around $4000. But the pilot must do a LOT of work to get everything to work properly. Some times that can be hundreds of hours. Basically DJI is selling a unit that should simply work when assembled. Taking out the hundreds of hours of trial and error.

Or at least that’s the theory.

Me, I’ll keep making my own rigs... but some like to buy the “advertised” easy way out.
Sleepyc is offline Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Jan 09, 2014, 05:52 PM
Joined Jul 2013
540 Posts
Don't worry, in 6-8 months it will drop to $2,999 with a DJI bundle package of goodies.
(that's sarcasm)
DParker is offline Find More Posts by DParker
Old Jan 09, 2014, 05:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,077 Posts
Except you aren't paying for R&D. The R&D on a fixed wing is much more expensive... Keep in mind this isn't a flight control, it is an airframe. When it comes to airframes a Multi is the EASIEST to build and design. Stability is simple, structure is simple, etc. The only aerodynamics you get into would be props (if DJI even redesigned them, they might have just ripped them off).

A multi doesn't even get into the same aerodynamics as fixed wing or conventional heli. Airfoil and wing planform is just the the beginning, get into the stability side, pitching moments, tail moments, tail length and size, or even the reynolds numbers and avoiding hysteresis. These are all factors that never even come to mind in a multi.

Multi's are rather easy to design, infact they are VERY easy to design. The also have much less "engineering" behind them than you have with Fixed wing or Single rotor helis.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 06:10 PM
Joined Jul 2013
540 Posts
We can debate the price is too high but we will see them flying shortly and likely in significant numbers. It's a sexy machine and sex sells. The S800 EVO will probably stay the same price so they have stages. What's next? An F550 replacement (S600) that folds up for around $1,999?
DParker is offline Find More Posts by DParker
Old Jan 09, 2014, 06:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,077 Posts
I do agree, people will buy it, so they will sell it.

I am just astounded that people don't see the unbelievable mark up these guys tack on.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 06:14 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,149 Posts
We will start taking pre-orders Fri
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2014, 07:36 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Feb 2013
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
I do agree, people will buy it, so they will sell it.

I am just astounded that people don't see the unbelievable mark up these guys tack on.
Let's be honest (no ethical legal discussion please), people aren't buying these as toys. It's easy to drop $10k on a tool if two or three jobs are going to recoup your investment.
doubledown is offline Find More Posts by doubledown
Old Jan 09, 2014, 07:38 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown View Post
Let's be honest (no ethical legal discussion please), people aren't buying these as toys. It's easy to drop $10k on a tool if two or three jobs are going to recoup your investment.
Very true however there are some good tools already that have been on the market (and proven) for awhile that are cheaper in comparison now. Even Cinestar which has made a big name for them self in the pro AP market is cheaper after you buy the motors, esc's, power dist and blades. So it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm guessing after a few months they will bundle a A2 with it for the same price to make a nice kit.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dolby; Jan 09, 2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 07:41 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Feb 2013
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Very true however there are some good tools already that have been on the market (and proven) for awhile that are cheaper in comparison now. Even Cinestar which has made a big name for them self in the pro AP market. So it will be interesting to see what happens.
No doubt. Then it's all just apples, oranges, and peaches
doubledown is offline Find More Posts by doubledown
Old Jan 09, 2014, 07:44 PM
United States, RI, East Greenwich
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
Cost of doing business

I like it, and in my business, thats not alot of money. Commercial real estate has needed something like this for along time. Looking at HVAC systems from the ground on a wharehouse, damage to a roof after a storm, etc. Nice part is its a write off.
Rhodeislander is offline Find More Posts by Rhodeislander