SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2014, 02:59 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,495 Posts
after all this time i can't still get an accurate size comparrison of this plane in my head,can anyone take a picture of it beside another smaller plane to give us an idea?

is it much wider and longer than say the visionaire??

i know the dimensions of it obviously but it's just hard to make out how big it looks in the pics.
flightpunch34 is online now Find More Posts by flightpunch34
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2014, 03:06 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
after all this time i can't still get an accurate size comparrison of this plane in my head,can anyone take a picture of it beside another smaller plane to give us an idea?
i know the dimensions of it obviously but it's just hard to make out how big it looks in the pics.
Even better, IMHO, would be a picture of it next to a person...

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Jul 08, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 03:38 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Even better, IMHO, would be a picture of it next to a person.

exactly!! it's sometimes hard to get a good size comparrison from pictures.
that woman in that pic could be a midget!!
Old Feb 01, 2014, 03:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:

What plane? I only see a girl...
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Feb 01, 2014, 04:19 PM
More Planes Than Sense
United States, PA, Wexford
Joined Feb 2010
339 Posts
Look what followed me home from the hobby shop.
Name: IMG_0555.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 223.7 KB
Description:
wgarman is online now Find More Posts by wgarman
Old Feb 01, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:

Not sure that pictures would be a good show of the difference either. It would depend on what angle and how they were positioned in relation to the camera. They are so close in size that it just might not show in pictures. In reality, the wingspan is only 3" longer on the Yak compared to visionaire and the visionaire has more square inches of wing area, so the wings are wider (front to back) so almost no visible difference in the wings. The biggest difference is length with the Yak being 6" longer. And even colors and pattern of colors can make things look bigger or smaller. I know just to look at both of them separately at the field, my original Yak gives the impression of being much bigger than the visionaire, but if you put them together and study size, the only difference you will see if you look at the right angle is the length. Also, part of the appearance of size may come from the large diameter of the fuselage, running all the way to the prop vs the big taper of the visionaire fuse.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 01, 2014, 05:38 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,617 Posts
Seriously, a picture of a person holding it (or balancing it on its spinner) gives an excellent sense of scale.

The person need not be in a bikini. (But, probably the person should be in *something*.)

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 01, 2014, 05:40 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
Hmmm....wonder how the website came up with such different specs. That's a BIG typo.
That is a big typo, not to mention false marketing, and dissapointing. I was really looking foward to this thing being competive with comparative balsa planes but its just not there...
The battery isn't 45C battery spec'd on the website either. I was pretty excited about this plane but that took a little wind out from under my wings. Too bad cause it looks so good too...
Shame on Horizon.
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old Feb 01, 2014, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Quote:

That hot chick saddling up on that plane made me feel better though.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 05:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Right from the website.

Product Specifications
Wingspan: 48.0 in (1220mm)
Overall Length: 48.5 in (1230mm)
Wing Area: 525 sq. in. (34.0 sq. dm.)
Flying Weight: 3.15-3.20 lb (1.4-1.5 kg)
Motor Size: 25-size 1,000Kv brushless outrunner (installed)
Radio: 6+ channel DSM2/DSMX radio required
CG (center of gravity): 4.72 in (120mm) back from the leading edge of wing at wing root
Wing Loading: 13.8 oz/sq ft (45 g/sq dm)
Prop Size: 12 x 5.25 (included)
Speed Control : 60-amp swich-mode BEC brushless ESC (installed)
Recommended Battery: 14.8V 4S 2800mAh 45C LiPo battery (included)
Flaps: No
Retracts: No
Control Throw (Ailerons): Low: 37mm up/down, 10% expo; High: 70mm up/down, 45% expo
Control Throw (Elevator): Low: 19mm up/down, 10% expo; High: 75mm up/down, 40% expo
Control Throw (Rudder): Low: 65mm right/left, 10% expo; High: 110mm up/down, 40% expo
Approx. Flying Duration: 5 minutes
Minimum Age Recommendation: 14 years
Experience Level: Intermediate
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
Is Assembly Required: Yes

What is wrong with these guys anyways??? If i made those kinds of mistakes at my job i'd probably get fired... maybe... well i could probably talk my way out of it, but just sayin.
Horizon should be working on building peoples trust, especially after all the past issues that the've had. At least they got the delivery right...
Old Feb 01, 2014, 06:07 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeallen View Post
That is a big typo, not to mention false marketing, and dissapointing. I was really looking foward to this thing being competive with comparative balsa planes but its just not there...
The battery isn't 45C battery spec'd on the website either. I was pretty excited about this plane but that took a little wind out from under my wings. Too bad cause it looks so good too...
Shame on Horizon.
We all know you are perfect and don't make mistakes Dramatic much? It is still very competitive in weight with 3DHS and Extreme Flight planes on 4S. You can always change the prop and run 3S. It won't be nearly as fun but it will be light. Weight is not everything guys!!!!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 01, 2014, 06:16 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Not sure that pictures would be a good show of the difference either. It would depend on what angle and how they were positioned in relation to the camera. They are so close in size that it just might not show in pictures. In reality, the wingspan is only 3" longer on the Yak compared to visionaire and the visionaire has more square inches of wing area, so the wings are wider (front to back) so almost no visible difference in the wings. The biggest difference is length with the Yak being 6" longer. And even colors and pattern of colors can make things look bigger or smaller. I know just to look at both of them separately at the field, my original Yak gives the impression of being much bigger than the visionaire, but if you put them together and study size, the only difference you will see if you look at the right angle is the length. Also, part of the appearance of size may come from the large diameter of the fuselage, running all the way to the prop vs the big taper of the visionaire fuse.

thanks bobly for your informative post,now i have a good idea of the size.

guys,does it matter so much if it's the same weight as the old plane or even if it's not any lighter,granted it's not good if the weight was specified lower but however does it matter so much? the plane runs on a 4cell pack so it will have heaps of power and power that won't even be used all the time.
i honestly don't think the slight weight reduction you wanted is going to make any major differnce to the planes performance anyway,the easiest way and fastest way to shed some weight on this is go a slightly smaller battery.

just saying...
Old Feb 01, 2014, 06:36 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Nice stuff edge pilot..... good build report,looking forward to your maiden
Ditto that's super helpful edge pilot

Quote:
francis,

impressive set up you got there,you are gone very technical about it sure makes for intresting stuff though
Many thanks I think you and everyone else will love it when you see it Aiming for the video to be released within two weeks max Although the weather has been so bad here it's unbelieveable

Kind regards,
Francis
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Feb 02, 2014, 08:12 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Well although that my comparisons aren't as attractive I took a couple common planes and compared the Yak with.

As far as all the hype on the typo's being an issue..........................................wou ld have been nice if they wouldn't have "mislead" a few people, BUT it doesn't make any difference to me. I wanted the original plane for a while and never got around to buying it. Once I saw the AS3X model I jumped on it the first day announced with ZERO regrets.

The box seams to have the correct info on it, the battery says "30C", and the weight seams correct. The "specs" page on Horizon's site seams to be the only misleading info, again no big deal to me.

Wish the weather would cooperate so I could get outdoors and fly this thing.

pictures are with a Stryker, Habu 2, and a Goblin 500
edge_pilot is offline Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Feb 02, 2014, 08:27 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,104 Posts
Yeah it is a shame the specs got skewed. I have had all the parts to build the V1 for a long time. It is getting closer in the que. I had the Visionaire for a while last summer and sold it. I have been planning to use the Yak as a replacement. I was going to use a different rx gyro combo for more flexibility until Spektrum announced the new AS3X receivers at the toy fair. In light of the few differences between V1 and V2 I think I will wait for the AR636 to come available and set the V1 up with that. I also might try using the V2's gear for that added hight.

Happy Flying!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers