HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DWA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 04:38 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Discussion
My multirotor builds including tips and helpful links and helpful videos.

I will add pics/info as I go. I will also add links to videos that I find useful.

A little background info on me.
I have been flying RC airplanes since January 1996.
In Feb 2007 I took my first aerial photography with an RC airplane. Now I use DJI multirotors to do my aerial photography and aerial videos.

My F550 has T-Motor MN3110-15 kv is 780 Navigator Series. The props are T-Motor 10x4.5
Gains on 550 with T-Motor props. T-Motor props require much lower gains than any other prop I have tried. And I have tried a lot.
Basic, pitch 100%, roll 100%, yaw 100%, vertical 100%.
Attitude, pitch 60%, roll 60%.

My 450 LEDs are : The lights I used were Turnigy. Item TRU8944 white. And TRU8941 red.
Each 1 meter strip has the leads attached!

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Oct 04, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2014, 05:40 PM
Portugal, Faro District
Joined May 2013
475 Posts
Nice collection. I have 450, 550 with Tarot and Blade MQx as well. I've gone down the custom build route instead of getting the phantoms though. I might regret that if my calculations are out. I wish I was as tidy as you. Cheers Jim
MTB guide is offline Find More Posts by MTB guide
Old Jan 09, 2014, 08:28 AM
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
yup tidy bench, how are you finding the phantoms ?
dogz85 is offline Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC's for multies
Old Jan 09, 2014, 01:19 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Here is a thread with a lot more info and pictures that I did when building my F450 and F550.
The beginning of my multirotor journey !!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1874915

Thanks guys. My work bench is not as clean when I'm deep in the middle of a project. I also have two other work benchs so having a lot of space helps.
I love the Phantoms. They are so easy to fly.

Here are some pics of my video down link set up.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Oct 04, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 08:39 PM
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
nice, thanks. if have to take it apart(at some stage), i would love to see some photos of the interior.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:18 AM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Here you go.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2014, 05:08 AM
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
wow, its a lot better than i thought it would be

thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:04 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
I got a delivery today so the work begins. But I should not call it work because I love doing it too much to call it that!!!
But man with all these devices being hooked up I feel like I should go back to collage and get a engineering degree.

First thing I did was pull off the Tarot gimbal. I did not like the performance of it, and it never worked right. Tilt would not respond. I have not given up on the Tarot but I am not going to deal with it now.

Upgrading my F550 with FPV with iOSD, and H3-2D (all DJI), and 3 axis gimbal upgrade kit. That is Gary Goodrumís and Askmanís kit from TPpacks.com

On the inside.
Naza FC
Naza LED
Spektrum AR8000 Receiver
Spektrum TM 1000 Telemetry module
Spektrum Altimeter sensor
Voltage monitor wires
adding PMU V2 inside

Adding to the outside bottom of bottom plate.
iOSD mini
Zenmuse GCU V1
AVL 58 Transmitter

Then I will be adding a Zenmuse H3-2D and Gary Goodrumís 3 axis upgrade kit.

First I am taking off the old LED then just looking at how I will lay everything out.
It would be nice to get the new cable pack for DJI FPV stuff but it is not out yet and I am not going to wait. Plus I love stripping down small wires and soldering electronics. So soldering will be next. I think I will wait till tomorrow morning to do that I am getting a bit tired tonight.

I like using the stand I have for the F550. It is easy to flip the F550 on itís back without having to remove the GPS puck and it is better for my props so they are not touching the workbench. I have low profile mounts on my props so even if I took off the GPS the entire weight of the F550 would be resting on the props if it was on itís back.

I just can't believe the way all the gizmos and gadgets are adding up on this 550 of mine. It's turning into a mad science project.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Jan 21, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:27 PM
Portugal, Faro District
Joined May 2013
475 Posts
Looking really good. I am very jealous of the motors and props.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 03:12 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Thanks MTB guide.

I am doing some soldering today and it reminded me of this thread so I am just going to put a link to it here so I can reference it easier.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2050185
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:50 PM
Portugal, Faro District
Joined May 2013
475 Posts
I like that link. I got taught to solder at engineering college, I am still pretty bad though!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:29 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
This is what I did to use my iPad Mini with my Phantom2 Vision.
I got the idea from RemE, he is a great guy and very, very helpful in the Vision owners thread.

Buy this Bicycle Handle Bar Mount, remove the mount from the ball, it fits the Vision TX ball perfectly;
ARKON CMP227 Motorcycle and Bicycle Handle Bar Mount for Cameras with 1-4 20 Screw Thread
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mini Tripod Head;
Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount GIOTTOS

iPad Holder;
Grifiti Nootle iPad mini 1, 2 Tripod Mount with 1-4-20 Thread

A compact Hood, it's magnetic and snaps onto the iPad Mini when needed.

http://www.hoodivision.com/#!hoodi-store/c37l

The one mode I did to RemE's idea for this mini iPad mount was to take out the magnets from the bottom two tabs and sew on some velcro straps. Then I put some velcro on the iPad holder and it holds together. The reason I did this was that I had a wind gust come up and blow off the hood one day because the magnets on the bottom were not strong enough.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Jan 22, 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:42 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Here are the cases I bought for my Phantom2 Vision and my Phantom2 with H3-2D.
I got them from Aerial Media Pros. Great company to deal with, I highly recommend them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2014, 11:02 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
I have AeroXcraft gear and ATG gear.

Here is a comparison between the AeroXcraft from (AeroXcraft - UK) and the ATG gear from (GoodluckBuy - China).

The AeroXcraft was $168.97 with shipping. It weighs 195 grams or 6.8oz (gear with battery tray, velcro to secure battery and added foam pads on skids) I also had to buy the foam pads extra. The ground clearance from ground to bottom of camera & battery mounting rail is 137mm or about 5 3/8 inches.
It is made from G10 and aluminium.
I did not include weigh of the generic camera mount that came with the gear. I was trying to keep the two landing gears as much the same as I could.

The ATG gear was $41.72 with shipping. It weighs 200 grams or 7.0oz (gear with battery tray, velcro to secure battery and included foam pads on skids). The ground clearance from the ground to bottom of camera & battery mounting rail is 192mm or about 7 5/8 inches.
It is made from carbon fiber and plastic.
I did not include weight of the generic camera mount or the (fpv transmitter) mount that came with the gear. I was trying to keep the two landing gears as much the same as I could.

The mounting hardware that came with the AeroXcraft was 35 grams or 1.2oz where as the mounting of the ATG hardware was 5 grams or .2oz. I would add some strong double sided tape the the ATG hardware though bringing it up another 5 grams or .2oz. So 10 grams or .4oz for the ATG mounting. This brings AeroXcraft to 230 grams and ATG to 210 grams for AUW without camera mounting system. I did not include camera mounting system because most guys will use some form of camera mount with brushless gimbal that they buy separate.

So the ATG is lighter, has better ground clearance, and is cheeper.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:28 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Dec 2013
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA View Post
So the ATG is lighter, has better ground clearance, and is cheeper.
Hey Dave,

Does the ATG have the option to slide the battery tray back and forth to tune COG? I know you can do this with the AeroXCraft. Would that be a benefit of the AeroX over the ATG?

Also, the AeroX has longer mounting rails - I'm assuming (and hoping.. because I just purchased one) that this will get the Zen further forward and get the props out of view?

Nat
lugal317 is offline Find More Posts by lugal317