Old Mar 06, 2004, 03:31 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Multiplex cockpit questions.

Hi guys,

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to use a four channel receiver on a plank wing, ie. a Moth?

2. Is there a way to reduce the amount of servo throw per "click" of trim?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2004, 05:05 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
1. I think the Moth uses Elevons? If so then No, but you can cheat. For elevons you technically need Ch 1 & 5. You can however use the V tail mixer (Ch 2 & 3) and change the Mode such that the rudder and aileron sticks are reversed. For example I fly Mode 1 (elevator/rudder left stick and throttle/aileron right stick), by changing to Mode 3 (elevator/aileron left stick and throttle/rudder right stick) I can use the V tail mixer.

2. No, each click is 2% of the travel for that side.

The Cockpit is a nice basic radio but is quite limited. If they gave you too much we wouldn't hanker after the next model up.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Mar 07, 2004, 05:58 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wildpalms

The Cockpit is a nice basic radio but is quite limited. If they gave you too much we wouldn't hanker after the next model up.

--
Dave
You're soo right. The cockpit would be the absolutely perfect radio for me, if (in order of importance)

1) It would let you change/couple channel five,6 or 7 to any channel , the way it lets you couple any channel to channel 7 now(Version2)

2) it had more Timers ( I could however add these myself)

3) it had Model Names instead of Numbers ( I could live with that)

4) I could "loose" the heli soft (room for timers and Model names).

5) it had simple 'flight phases' ( trim alone would be sufficiŽnt). A switchover to another model would be ok too of course.

6) synth + scanner ( I could even live with 2 frequencies+ their channel checks)

It comes sooo very close to being perfect for me that it hurts, especially in view of the problems I have with it's bigger brother,the Evo 9, that still can't do everything I wish and on top of that stopped working yesterday. It's also extremely easy to program with just one button.... (most of these features must be rather easy to add with just software imho)
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Last edited by WimH; Mar 07, 2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 02:00 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Thanks Dave,

I've been through the manual front to back and didn't find the answer I wanted to hear, I was hoping that I simply missed what I was looking for.
You're right, the Cockpit is a GREAT basic radio, I was hoping for just a little more flexibility. I'd love to have more control of the trims, plus, I'd like to be able to use a 4-ch receiver in some of my lighter Deltas.

Thanks for your help Dave, your advice about how to make the Moth work on a 4- channel receiver is ingenious........until you get to the part where I have to learn to fly with my left thumb!

Thanks again for the help, perhaps it's time to do some TX shopping?

Jeff
Old Mar 07, 2004, 03:24 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
The point of changing the Mode is so you don't have to fly the left thumb. You'll fly the way you think you should, just the radio that thinks it is do something different. Easier to try out than to explain. It is ingenious but I got it from here, saved my butt when I wanted to setup my Zagi slope beater on a 4ch RX.

--
Dave
Old Mar 07, 2004, 04:15 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wildpalms
You can however use the V tail mixer (Ch 2 & 3) and change the Mode such that the rudder and aileron sticks are reversed. For example I fly Mode 1 (elevator/rudder left stick and throttle/aileron right stick), by changing to Mode 3 (elevator/aileron left stick and throttle/rudder right stick) I can use the V tail mixer.

Dave
Did I miss something? I'm willing to give this a shot, but help me out here. I use a four-channel receiver, servos go in channel 2&3, use the V-tail mixer, select Mode 3, and I can fly on the right stick? Is this correct?

Jeff
Old Mar 08, 2004, 02:32 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Look in the manual and find the mode that puts the two controls you want on the stick you want. Then plug the servos into the channels accordingly. For mode 2 flyers I think it's Mode 4.

The other way to do it is to use the combi switch and set it so the aileron is the master and mix it 50%. (again, see the manual). That way you're giving an aileron command but it's coupling in full rudder for the aileron deflection.

But then you have to have the combi switch on or no rudder on your V-tail. This actually is how I did my Gym-E (V-tail but three channels) with a 4 channel GWS receiver on my Cockpit. I read the suggestion about the alternate stick modes here after I'd done it the combi-switch way.

I used a similar approach on one of my Wing-Es (elevons and three channel as well). There the fix later was a 5 channel Rx (FMA M5).

No problem with the Gym-E now that it's on the Evo.....

That said, I have two Cockpit MMs and I really like them!
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Mar 08, 2004 at 02:37 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2004, 07:36 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Thanks BEC, how did you use a 5-channel receiver for an elevon setup? The same setup discussed above? Or a different way.

Jeff
Old Mar 08, 2004, 12:14 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Jeff - I hadn't realised you were a single stick flyer. As BEC says try Mode 4. Other than that you've got it. Trying it makes more sense than explaining.

A 5 channel RX solves the problem as the TX uses ch 5 as the second channel for the standard elevon mixer.

--
Dave
Old Mar 08, 2004, 02:39 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Charlot
Thanks BEC, how did you use a 5-channel receiver for an elevon setup? The same setup discussed above? Or a different way.

Jeff
The Cockpit's second aileron servo for two-servo setups goes in channel 5 (gear is on channel 6). So, one in 1, one in 5, select elevon mix.
Old Mar 09, 2004, 01:20 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Dave, I'll give it a shot, thanks for the help.

Bec, I just realized I pulled a brain fade when I asked about elevon setup on your wing-E. The wing-E is electric, (hence the "E") So your receiver is getting power from your esc. Sorry for the dumb question, I was still focused on slope use where I'd need to plug the receiver battery into channel 5. I couldn't figure out how you plugged the servo AND the receiver battery into the same slot on your 'slope' wing-E!

Thanks again for the help you guys.

Jeff
Old Mar 09, 2004, 07:31 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Here's another Cockpit MM question:

How do you tell which system the Cockpit MM is running on? Was there a particular date the switch was made? Connecting the MM to the data manager, how can I determine which system is installed?

Thanks.

Ron
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Mar 09, 2004, 01:09 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
With version 2 they added a screen with the version.

Turn the radio on and rotate the digi-adjuster to the right a few times. The final screen will say V2.0

If the final screen is the timer screen with stopwatch at the top and total time on the bottom then you still have V1

The other quick way is play with the mixers. If they say 0% then it is V1. V2 changed the 0% to OFF which makes more sense.

The upgrade is worth the effort just for the timer attached to the throttle, well it is if you fly electric
Old Mar 09, 2004, 01:14 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Jeff - Ideally you should plug the battery into the throttle channel of the RX as this is sometimes buffered. Not sure if this applies to all receivers but certainly some.

--
Dave
Old Mar 09, 2004, 01:27 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Speaking of versions..... anyone know what's the difference between V2.0 and subsequent ones? I sent a used Cockpit I had purchased second-hand to Hitec to get it checked out and upgraded and it says V2.4. Hitec has no idea what's different, and Multiplex hasn't answered.......