Closed Thread
Old Jan 08, 2014, 01:46 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
Your questions are answered in the product video.
Thanks, I have'nt had time to watch, still at work..
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2014, 02:54 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Ok, how exactly will the RTH work? Will it keep the plane at same altitude but turns it around to head home? I assume it wouldn't bring it to the altitude that it took off from once it got to the RTH position like my 350QX quad does? Heck that thing lands itself!

Does it circle above the home spot until controlled to land? So many questions..
It will not keep the altitude but will maintain neutral attitude.

If your preset throttle failsafe is just right it might stay on the same altitude, if it encounters headwind it will go up - in tailwind will lose altitude.

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Jan 08, 2014, 05:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cheltenham
Joined Oct 2013
244 Posts
Are you sure about that Dimitrios it has a barometric air pressure sensor
guyfawkes is offline Find More Posts by guyfawkes
Old Jan 08, 2014, 05:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,528 Posts
Yes, it does do altitude hold using the built in barometer

for RTH it keeps taking the shortest path to the home point so it will figure 8, circle, oval around the home point until it either runs out of power or you take manual control

I would assume that it maintains whatever it's altitude was when RTH was activated
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:09 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
I think Dimitris is jumping the gun without any solid info...
The product description itself mentions an "altitude hold mode"

The auto pilot should control the elevator & aileron surface to maintain a level attitude. If your fail safe throttle position is set to a cruise power, the plane should maintain altitude.

However, without throttle control I don't see how the autopilot could maintain a specific altitude in adverse conditions (wind, thermals, down drafts) Say while in RTH a down draft forces the plane to lose 75 feet, the autopilot gives up elevator to climb in order to maintain altitude but the throttle stays at the preset fail safe position? The altitude hold and attitude hold would be at odds in this case, since it's tuff to climb without pitching up and increasing throttle from cruise setting...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Last edited by greedyg76; Jan 08, 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,528 Posts
The cruise throttle set on failsafe should be adequate to deal with strong wind, it just makes sense that way, the only real advantage of throttle control with RTH is to conserve power for much longer return trips on autopilot, i.e. it doen't need to be constantly 3/4 throttle, but then you'd still have poo poo heads moaning and saying it's not good it doesn't have an air speed sensor

Fact is it will be a great and cheap device to put in a plane for a newbie to self teach

The basics still apply, a plane needs to be properly mechanically trimmed and balanced with a correct thrust line so that it requires no transmitter trim or input for the plane to fly straight and level in zero wind and throtle changes don't cause the plane to pitch.

Once the plane is set up correctly this will be great for new pilots to teach themselves how to fly, given them automatic rescue abilities

Let's answer some statements I've seen made about this...

"I can get an APM 2.X.X for the same money that does waypoints and is far more sophisticated"
No you can't, but please if you can show me a $65 APM 2.X.X with GPS please send me a link and I'll buy half a dozen

"I can get an XYZ/FYDOS/Turtle-neck sweater and strip and old GPS unit out of my car sat nav, flash it with the right baud rates and wire it all togather for the same money"

Yeah, OK maybe you can but for the same money you can keep your sat nav in tact
Also you're missiing the point of this unit, "simplicity", it's a no brainer, literally
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:37 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,562 Posts
Airplanes should climb/sink by adjusting airspeed i.e. throttle.
Having a system that tries to climb with elevator only but no means to influence airspeed does work but it's not optimal.

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:56 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
key word *should*
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Jan 08, 2014, 08:02 PM
United Kingdom, Higham
Joined Jul 2011
302 Posts
Well just for kicks iv ordered one of these, will update you all when I receive it in about 3 weeks.lol
taz007 is offline Find More Posts by taz007
Old Jan 09, 2014, 12:56 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Airplanes should climb/sink by adjusting airspeed i.e. throttle.
Having a system that tries to climb with elevator only but no means to influence airspeed does work but it's not optimal.

/Dimitrios
Yes, real planes should but not UAV's otherwise a UAV system with throttle control for speed will struggle to maintain altitude, it would be constantly fighting itself

Besides I didn't say "climb" I said "pitch", there's a huge difference between a plane that climbs with increased air speed to one that pitches up when throttle is applied
Old Jan 09, 2014, 06:30 PM
Joined Oct 2006
30 Posts
Well I've got one of these on the way to go on a bixler2 after loosing an anx floater I might Stand a chance of keeping the bixler.
Streetluge Chris is offline Find More Posts by Streetluge Chris
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:06 PM
United States, FL, Dunedin
Joined Jan 2013
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroots123 View Post
it says using a 3 way switch....i dont have a 3 way switch
I bet they'll be only too happy to see you a radio with a 3 way switch.
Stitch1615 is offline Find More Posts by Stitch1615
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:25 PM
United Kingdom, Higham
Joined Jul 2011
302 Posts
Turnigy T1000FC Auto Pilot system

Here is the user manual for the Turnigy T1000FC Auto Pilot system..
taz007 is offline Find More Posts by taz007
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:01 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post

How does not having throttle control "defeat the purpose" ?
Because if you are a noob and don't know how to do the failsafe settings ect then that said noob gets in trouble flying out past LOS, has a problem and hits RTH, the plane just glides down to its final resting point then the pilot has to comb an area to find the plane. If it had throttle control it would throttle up and fly its way back home till the pilot gets sight of it and takes over control.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:01 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,901 Posts
Has anyone actually bought one and reviewed it properly yet?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Closed Thread