SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

HobbyKing's Orange RX3SM DSM2 4CH Flight Stabilization Micro Receiver: Micro Review

An in Air test of this new micro receiver with built in flight stabilization. \

Splash

Introduction

Click on the Link below to see the Hobby King Daily video on the RX3SM.

Orange RX3SM Receiver

Channels: 4
Servo/ESC Connectors: Micro Molex 3 pin 1.25mm spacing
Weight: 10g
Length: 44mm
Width: 21mm
Height: 15mm
Protocol: DSM2 2.4GHz (Spektrum/JR compatible)
Input Voltage: 4.8-6.0V
Signal to servo: 1520us
Gyro: 3-Axis MEMS
Manufacturer: HobbyKing
Available From: HobbyKing
Price: $29.99 USA Warehouse

This new product from HobbyKing is Two, Two things in one tiny package! It is an Orange micro receiver and it is a flight stabilization system. It was sent for me to review and this receiver/stabilization unit has Molex connectors. I had a little Radjet 420 Micro Pusher (Which uses Molex connectors.) that I had bought from HobbyKing and a regular Orange R415 micro receiver to control it. So I used my HobbyKing Micro Radjet 420 as the test bed for this micro review.

Features

• Perfect fit for all Durafly Micro Models
  • OrangeRX Spektrum/JR compatible 4CH 2.4GHz integrated receiver
  • Bind N Fly
  • Micro Molex 3 pin connectors with 1.25mm spacing
  • Capable of stabilizing flight on just about any fixed wing aircraft (V-tail/Delta included)
  • Remote on/off feature controlled by transmitter AUX channel
  • Supports 3D flight without undermining stability
  • Independent gyro gain adjustment for aileron, elevator and rudder
  • Easy to access gyro reversing switches on the front of the unit
  • Compact and light weight design

Installation

A couple guys at Kingdon Air Park have already been flying the Micro Rad Jet with a regular micro Orange receiver and so the sweet spot for balance had already been established. Since the RX3SM is bigger then the receiver they are using in their planes I was not able to get it quite as far back inside the fuselage as they have their receivers so I had to position the flight pack battery a little further back than I planned but it is still in the front cockpit area. The receiver is buried inside the fuselage and can be partially seen in one of the pictures below. I need to thank my friend Bill for his help in balancing my Micro Rad Jet who learned from our friend Chris where the best balance point was for the plane. I programmed in Delta flight for elevon control on my DSM2 transmitter and adjusted the rates for aileron to 80, 65 and 50 and for the elevator to 75, 65 and 50. For this review all flying was done on high rate with 15% exponential.

The New Orange RX3SM vs the Orange Micro R415

Comparison

• Orange RS3SM: Molex Connectors 4 Channel 44x21x15 at 10 grams $29.99
  • Orange R415: Molex connectors 4 Channel 29 x 15 x 8 at 2 grams $9.99

First Test Flight

My friend Chris Tapangcura has flown a number of planes so that I could get video of them in the air. This time he maidened the plane and was the first reviewer as he has numerous flights with his own Radjet 420 using a standard micro receiver. The video clips below were taken during that first test flight. After trimming out the plane Chris reported that it was very stable in the air and easier to fly then his Radjet 420 with a standard receiver. It would self correct to stay on the desired flight path yet remained completely responsive to his commands. Chris did some very aerobatic flying but I could not keep the camera on the very quick little plane when he did that so for the video he had to be a bit more boring with his flying to help me out. After the flight Chris did some rolling of the plane in his hand and we could hear the servos moving as the receiver was correcting for the movement. I turned my camera back on and had Chris repeat that action for the camera.

I flew the plane twice on the next day at a large park and had the same experience that Chris reported. I flew first with the RX3SM receiver with stabilization and had a very responsive and well controlled Micro Radjet 420. As the battery recharged I swapped out the receiver for a standard Micro Receiver and then flew it with that receiver but balanced at the same point. I had to do many more minor corrections with my transmitter's right stick and that was flying on a calm morning. On a breezy day the benefit of using the RX3SM would be all the greater. I reinstalled the RX3SM into the Micro Radjet 420 and had one final very enjoyable flight for this micro review.

What it Does

(Directly taken from the HobbyKing Website) "Utilizing a single high precision 3-axis MEMS gyro, the RX3SM DSM2 stabilizer is capable of stabilizing flight on just about any fixed wing aircraft! It provides added stability automatically correcting the aileron, elevator and rudder channels in flight. This compensates for unwanted changes in the airplane's attitude due to wind and other factors, in short it makes your airplane much more stable in flight!"

The stabilization system on the receiver can be turned on and off with the auxiliary channel on my transmitter but I don't know why I would want to turn it off.

Picture and Video Gallery

In the video below the RX3SM was tested in a HobbyKing Micro Radjet 420 micro plane.

Flight Testing HobbyKing's RX3SM Stabilizing Receiver (3 min 25 sec)

Conclusion

The RX3SM works as advertised! It is both a micro receiver and a stabilization unit. As described above both Chris and I easily recognized that we were making many fewer flight corrections when flying the Radjet 420 with the RX3SM in it. The plane was easier to control and was definitely smoother in flight. The RX3SM only cost about $30.00 and I thought that was reasonable for the improved and smoother flight but the R415 receiver only costs $9.99 and it weighs only 2 grams while the RX3SM weighs 5X more than that yet it is only 10 grams and it was still easy to balance the plane by moving it's little battery. I think it is great to have a choice and I will take the improved control supplied by the RX3SM. However, it does sound a bit strange to be picking as my choice the receiver that is 5X heavier and 3X more expensive but those are the facts.

Pluses and Minuses

Pluses

• Costs just under $30.00 w/o shipping
  • Easy to install
  • Works well as advertised
  • No adjustments were necessary

Minuses

• Larger, heavier and costs 3X what the standard Orange R415 micro receiver costs, but so what!

My thanks to Bill and Chris for their help with this micro review.

Last edited by Michael Heer; Feb 11, 2014 at 07:26 PM..

Discussion

Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:07 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
722 Posts
nice...these tings just get better and better
urs
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old Mar 04, 2014, 09:39 AM
Old newb
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
202 Posts
What were your pot settings?

Why did you swap receivers when the aux channel turns flight stability on and off?

What version firmware were you using?
r39o is offline Find More Posts by r39o
Old Mar 06, 2014, 04:05 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,530 Posts
1) 50% for all three gains.
2) Because I was comparing the prior receiver to the new receiver not the new receiver with stabilization on and off. Turns out there was no difference between old and new off besides size and weight.
3) I don't see any listing for the version of Firmware involved.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:09 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,803 Posts
Might have to buy one of these and try it on a micro wing. Very cool.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:28 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,449 Posts
"Larger, heavier and costs 3X what the standard Orange R415 micro receiver costs, but so what!"

I have several of the larger Orange RX3S, they are good. But this Lemon is 1/2 the cost of the reviewed receiver and 1/2 the weight. DSM2/X and 6+ channels.

http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...product_id=106
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:04 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,803 Posts
Any reviews out there on the Lemon? Guess I'll search .
Old Mar 07, 2014, 07:23 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,769 Posts
The fact that this was only 4 channels is what killed it for me. I wanted to use one on my FW190 and my Freewing F-22, but I need at least 5 channels for both of them and this didn't cut it.

Hopefully a 6+ channel is in the works. The Lemon looks good too. But call me weird, I'd have a hard time putting a plane up with a lemon in it. Plane goes in, first thing the guys on the flightline say is "IT WAS A LEMON!"...
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:51 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,803 Posts
Yeah but we are only taking small foamies. No big deal. I'll probably order one if the shipping is reasonable. What the heck.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:07 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Michael,
As always a very informative review, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
"Larger, heavier and costs 3X what the standard Orange R415 micro receiver costs, but so what!"

I have several of the larger Orange RX3S, they are good. But this Lemon is 1/2 the cost of the reviewed receiver and 1/2 the weight. DSM2/X and 6+ channels.

http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...product_id=106
Interesting products but horrible name, . Nobody wants to have a lemon anything unless it is a cool summer beverage.....

Thanks for the info, I plan to purchase a few.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Sep 08, 2014, 08:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
51 Posts
Hi!
Referral Orange,does anyone know the weight without cover ?
...6 grams?....7 grams?...

Feigo
Feigo is offline Find More Posts by Feigo
Old Nov 02, 2014, 07:55 PM
Joined Oct 2009
185 Posts
I'm trying to set this up with my micro delta wing, but the manual is still fairly confusing. As for the dip switches, I am assuming they should all be to the "right" (meaning towards the antennas, correct?), except for the vtail, which should be the only one that is to the "left". The manual says the "Left" side is both "near the Rx module side" but also says it's "near the pin sockets" - so you can see why I'm confused. As the two micro servos I've got don't seem to work with this, the only thing I've been able to get working is the motor (and I've been able to bind to my Tx). Any help would be greatly appreciated
vinsonj is offline Find More Posts by vinsonj
Old Nov 16, 2014, 05:28 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,401 Posts
I agree, on line manual for the RX3S is confusing too. With my Aux dip switch to LEFT = closest to pins, my AUX switch turns gyro off/on -- opposite to manual.

Worse yet, I cannot get rid of an occasional motor start when actuating rudder or aileron, cannot get this interference with elevator. Throttle works fine but again occasionally blips at any speed when ail or rudder is commanded.

Have three other brands of stabilization modules and they work just fine, as do my Lemon Rx with 3S.

Ideas?
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb