SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Edwin Warner Model Aviators Polar Bear Day

This Nashville based RC club celebrates the new year at the field.

Splash

Each year the Edwin Warner Model Aviators brave the weather and ring in the new year at the field.

If you are an RC pilot in Nashville there is only one place you should be January 1st - at the EWMA field in Edwin Warner Park. Some years this could mean enduring bitter cold. This year the weather was close to perfect. Either way it is a great way to catch up with all your Nashville RC friends! I'm lucky because this great RC facility is minutes away from my house. The park that the RC field is located in is 9 miles from Nashville and spans 2,684 acres of forest and fields.

There is always plenty of food and drinks prepared by the pilots. The event has turned into a yearly family gathering and is an excellent way to ring in the new year. I was surprised at how many of my friends from my early RC days were there.

About the Club

Edwin Warner Model Aviators Club is based out of Edwin Warner Park in Nashville, Tennessee. The club was established in the early 1930s. The Edwin Warner Model Aviators field was the first in Nashville and is one of the oldest RC clubs in the United States.

EWMA provides a friendly and helpful environment for people interested in model airplanes. The club is strong on safety and works hard to share the thrill of RC with kids of all ages. I have had nothing but support from EWMA from my earliest days. Bryce Custer taught me how to fly RC at this field and the members helped me with my daily questions when I built my first RC plane. This is where the first plane I ever put together took flight. This club is full of supportive RC pilots that are there to have fun. They are good people.

Learn more about the Edwin Warner Model Aviators at the RCGroups.com Places page.

Discussion

Old Jan 02, 2014, 03:42 PM
United States, TN, Spring Hill
Joined Jul 2007
10 Posts
More pics ,Thanks Jim.

Edwin Warner Cooks,
djmett55 is offline Find More Posts by djmett55
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:26 PM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
Hobby Express Twelve-Foot Telemaster

Here is a short video of Hobby Express' Twelve-Foot Telemaster. They did a candy drop for the children at the Polar Bear Day picnic.

Edwin Warner Model Aviators Polar Bear Day (0 min 34 sec)
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:09 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
You all are brave. It was way too cold to fly in Northern Michigan.

I think the temps were about 10-12 degrees, wind chill, or Feels Like was about -2 or there about.

Looks like fun.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:32 PM
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
489 Posts
51F would be heaven. It was -26F on New Years Day here (with out the windchill factor). With the wind chill feels like -43F.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
You all are brave. It was way too cold to fly in Northern Michigan.

I think the temps were about 10-12 degrees, wind chill, or Feels Like was about -2 or there about.

Looks like fun.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
jpurcha is online now Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How time flies
Old Jan 03, 2014, 01:13 PM
Topeka, KS
Joined Sep 2001
4 Posts
new year fly-in

These Nashville guys have it right.
We here in Topeka, KS have made it a tradition

The group (not an official club) I am in has done this for the past 19 years---no matter what the weather. This year it was light snow on the ground, -10 wind chill with a 12 knot wind (anything not in double digits is considered calm here) We have flown on beautiful warm (35-40) days and in 14 inches of snow---I completely buried a 3 channel Jr. falcon on landing. Now that we are about 90% electric the cold days are better. Following the flying is hangar flying and great chili and grilled cheese at one of the group homes.
flyguyb35 is offline Find More Posts by flyguyb35
Old Jan 05, 2014, 09:02 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
Great to see such a good turnout. We had over a hundred pilots at the Peeler Park New Year's fly so I can't really agree that EWMA is the only place to be in Nashville on Jan 1st. Still, it seems we really love to fly in the cold. We'll see how that holds up this week when it drops to 0 degrees outside.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jan 05, 2014, 09:13 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,486 Posts
Oregon

This year we had fog, is was suppose to burn off but never did. It didn't stop the planes.
Polar Bear 2014 (3 min 34 sec)
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere