Dec 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best Engines ever made. All time favorites.

We,ve all got our favorites.....O.K. maybe 5...or 10... or more. We've seen some of the bad ones on the other thread.
This thread is dedicated to those motors that we all have had at some time or other that have been truly great, reliable, exceeded expectations, took loads of abuse or have clocked up hundreds of hours or were just great value for money.

Heres a few of mine...

OS AX .46 clocked up nearly 400 hours without ANY problem. Always started 1st spin... was still running but now retired took the head off....the liner is TRASHED. Wore a groove on the needle taper... never changed the needle setting so needle was glued in position with 8 years of castor....

My first real engine I bought new for RC was a LA 46. I know they are not that powerful but for the price it was a good motor . Quiet, fairly economic. Maybe just rose coloured glasses with this one....first trainer and all.

Favorite Diesel....theres been so many... but the old ED 2cc Comp Special.... I just put it in the test stand and it almost starts itself.

cheers
Simon
Last edited by Snorks; Dec 31, 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: sentiment
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2013, 03:33 PM
AMA 7224
K&B .40 RR and FR. Great free flight engine on bladder with 40% nitro fuel. Good R/C engine too.
Rossi .61 RR rear exhaust. Absolute monster on 40% nitro and bladder with a 12 x 4 prop for Class D free flight. Ear protection a must with open exhaust.
Cox TD .049. Fun engine both free flight and R/C
Moki 1.80. Big power for quarter scale on FAI fuel
O&R .60 antique ignition. The Chevy of spark engines. FF or R/C assist
Super Cyclone .60. Good power,easy starting and running antique. FF or R/C assist
Forster .99. Big prop and ton of torque. Great sounding sparker. FF or R/C assist
Saito 110. Nicest running 4 stroke I've had
Zenoah 20 cc. Another easy starter and smooth runner.
VECO .19. Run forever, easy start and tune
OS 46. Another good runner and easy starter
Dec 31, 2013, 03:45 PM
My ancient Fox Blue Head .60 engine. Fox developed it as a pattern engine in the 1960's, first as a .74 and then as a .60 too. Mine still runs fine to this day, it has outlasted several airplanes too. The first plane it was on was a Astro Hog. I actually have it on a airplane that is still flying today as well. It has consumed many gallons of fuel over the years. How many of you are still flying a engine that you got many many years ago, probably older than many people on the forum even?

My Fox Hawk .60 is another favorite of mine. I bought one of them back in 1977 right after they first came out. I ran it on several pattern planes and it is still running today too. it was actually run on a couple of airboats, a Top Flite Contender, a couple of Ugly sticks, a couple of Atlas pattern planes and a Dirty Birdy too. I need to put it on another airplane soon, the previous airplane got all worn out, so it needs a new airplane. Like the other engine, this one has consumed many gallons of fuel. During my peak classic pattern flying, I would typically go through a couple of gallons or more of fuel in a weekend with this engine on a pattern plane.

Another ultimate favorite is one of my Rossi .61 engines which is equipped with a inflight mixture adjustment carburetor. That solved all the problems using a tuned pipe, where you might be just a touch off of the needle valve adjustment on the ground as compared to what it is doing in the air.

A couple of runner ups are the little Fox .25 and Fox .36 engines, made before Schnuerle became popular. They had a nice slow tickover idle and would just run and run and run, no problems.

For model diesel engines my favorite is a little Mills .075 diesel engine. They have to be the sweetest running engines ever made.
Last edited by earlwb; Dec 31, 2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: add more info
Dec 31, 2013, 04:20 PM

Just about any FOUR stroke mill...but I DO have some favorites there, too!

Dear Fellow MILL Lovers (hot-rodding slang for any internal combustion engine)...

The PIPE Here...Of the TEN four-stroke mills I've got in my "hangar" awaiting my return to work (lots going on there — with TWO possible employers competing for me in the coming weeks) and subsequent return to the hobby later this year (it's gonna take a WHILE!) I'd have to say that my pair of OS four-stroke mills...the otherwise "a bit weak", pre-Surpass 1980-vintage FS-40...

this COULD easily have a home in a much-lightened version of the Sig Kadet Mk.I I'm "CAD-ding up" these days for both "brushless & A123s" electric power, and for that exact mill shown above...

and ESPECIALLY...my TORQUE MONSTER , 1983-vintage rear-camshaft OS FS-90...

...the upper photo IS my example "wearing its shaker pump" forward of the cylinder, the lower photo is an OS factory photo of one.

Both of these OS mills have replacement bearings in 'em, and the idle on each of these has to be seen to be believed.

I've also run my 2001-vintage Saito FA-30S, my ancient (1982) FA-45 four-stroker with a SEPARATE cylinder head (it's that old!) and my Saito FA-56 mill...the Saito FA-30 was the very first four-stroke I'd EVER owned that started "from the first 'blurp' of starter power applied on its acorn nut" for its break-in, and a number of possible, small four-foot wingspan class monoplanes that I've got construction plans for could be its initial home.

The smallest and largest four-stroke mills in my hangar, the HP VT-21 and RCV 120SP, both use rotary valving to get them doin' their thing, but from half-a-decade of "no work" for yours truly, neither of those has yet been fired up by me.

Also a pair of Enya "putt-putt mills" that I've got — a 1980s-purchased 60-4C which has only got 70 minutes of running time on it, and a "donated" 46-4C that needs LOTS of overhaul work at BJ's model engine repair facility in CT in the coming months, could get running again - once I'm working again...and a brand-new Saito FA-40a, my "newest" four-stroke mill, is awaiting its first-ever run.

I ALSO looove seeing other people's four-stroke mills in operation...believe me, when I left ALL two-stroke "noiseys" behind in February 1985, I KNEW I was doin' the proper thing...and I'm NOT ONE BIT SORRY that I did that, either!

Just lookin' forward, later in 2014 (autumn would be best) to get a four or eight-quart order of my 17% oiled, 10% nitro FHS Red Max four-stroke fuel and get my vintage mills running and ready for a return to the hobby once again...for now, I'm simply hoping to be WORKING again to afford everything once more...!

Happy 2014 and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Last edited by The PIPE; Dec 31, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Dec 31, 2013, 04:51 PM
Play that funky music right
My new favorite engine is a little YS 53FS. It came to me in the need of a new cam and some TLC. Two previous owners were unable to make it run right. I found a small hole in the carb body from a manufacturing defect. A little JB weld and away we go.

I've only burned about a gallon of fuel through it but it has been absolutely flawless. I only adjusted the HS needle twice for large temp changes and only three or four clicks at that. Getting the right set up may be a bit fussy at first, but if the rest of the YS line is like this engine, I think I'n a convert to YS.

Ken
Dec 31, 2013, 05:15 PM
RC Addict

Saito FA 100

My favorite to date would be the Saito FA 100 with the OS FS 91 Surpass a close 2nd.
Dec 31, 2013, 05:21 PM
OS 40,45, and 61 FSR's.....nuff said, Shoo
Dec 31, 2013, 05:55 PM
Closed Account
Speaking of helicopters only: Rossi, hands down, and with NOTHING even coming close....

100% reliability combined with fuel efficiency and low cost fuel (0% Nitro required), and extreme durability.

Performance wise they are absolutely not bad too....

Brgds, Bert
Dec 31, 2013, 06:26 PM
I'd rather be flying.....

Favorite engines...

Hi Everyone -

Naturally I just don't have ONE favorite....

1.) MILLS 1.3 DIESEL MKI and II

2.) DRONE DIESEL

3.) BROWN JR spark ignition

4.) FOX 35 STUNT

5.) OS rc engines in general... FSR, FP, LA, AX

Best Regards and Happy New Year !

Jeff
Dec 31, 2013, 06:41 PM
You made that out of trees?
My favourite would be my OS 40 RC.

It was bought second hand in 1978 with unknown hours on it & was
my regular weekend flying engine for 20 years.

Was sport flown, pylon raced, float planes, everything.
If it didn't hand start on the second flick I'd start looking for problems
but that was hardly ever. Only parts replaced were from crash damage,
a crank was unavailable so I straightened it in a drill press with a mallet.

Was sold when someone made me an offer I could not refuse (more
than I paid for it 34 years earlier).

John.
Dec 31, 2013, 06:45 PM
turkeyfeet
I had an rc version Fox 29 with a baffle that just ran and ran until one day I was teaching someone to fly.He was heading down wide open. I tried to get the transmitter from him but he wouldn't let go it.It ended up in small pieces on the asphalt.

Super Tiger Bluehead
K-B Torpedo 40
Super Tiger 56
Saito 56
Latest blog entry: video
Dec 31, 2013, 08:11 PM
Last edited by takEon; Jan 29, 2019 at 05:16 PM.
Dec 31, 2013, 09:25 PM
Well I was bitching in the bad motors section I guess I better put something here. OS LA .15, pretty strong motor for what it is, AX .46, nice linear throttle and much better than a lot of old stuff I have., Rossi .15, AP .15 best $30 motor ever. ASP .15 best $45 motor ever, Cox Conquest .15-best Cox ever, Fora .15, scares me-I like that. OS Surpass .91 just got it but it seems nice, as big stuff goes.
Dec 31, 2013, 10:14 PM
No one has mentioned the little OS 26fs......now that's one sweet little runner.
I'm not picking any, I love them all.

Bill

ps. ok this one

ENYA 240 VT ground test (0 min 25 sec)
Dec 31, 2013, 10:24 PM
One of my all time favorites was the OS 25 FP . Nothing spectacular but just put many, many miles on them. Somewhat like the Eveready Rabbit, just keep going and going.

Can't knock the Quadra 35s and 42s either.

Gord.

Quick Reply