Old Mar 05, 2004, 10:44 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
DLG/HLG made of Balsa? Suggestions?

Hi there all,

I'll start out by saying, I'm a balsa-builder. So, please don't tell me to make foam-wings or what ever :-D

I'm coming here to ask if anyone has actually made a decent (moderately decent) HLG/DLG from balsa. I've never had a HLG/DLG before, everything else I've made is just very small electric (less than 220g).

Any suggestions/plans?

Regards.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2004, 10:46 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
I forgot to say - I'm not after competition level or such. I just wish to enjoy my 30 min breaks at the local sports-fields (lovely open area). Right now I fly my two small electric gliders, but a true-glider would be nice.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 10:55 AM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
dark matter
Joined Jun 2003
2,403 Posts
One Word, (GAMBLER)

http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/

Mike Baker
Stocker is offline Find More Posts by Stocker
Old Mar 05, 2004, 11:00 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
Looks good - even looked at the videos. While I'm a bit far away to order from them - certainly this gives me hope. Time now for me to start pulling out the CAD and working on some new plans .

I suppose there's a lot to be lost/gained in the selection of the wing section with these gliders, such a large envelope to handle.

Paul.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 11:13 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
If your a builder check this out.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Mar 05, 2004, 02:04 PM
ADDICTED TO LIFT
Connecticut
Joined Jan 2003
361 Posts
pldaniels,

Mark Drela has many designs on the Charler River RC site, but one comes to mind that I had a blast with.... The Apogee 40. V dihedral and really climbs out. My 1st RC glider was this one.

Go To:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl..._apogeehlg.htm

Try it out...all balsa except for reinforcements and boom material.

Glider34
glider34 is offline Find More Posts by glider34
Old Mar 05, 2004, 02:38 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,796 Posts
I'm in the process of doing just that.

As I get more into the actual building I'll post some photos of what I'm doing and once I have 50 flights I'll post my results.

The wing is built up similar to this.
https://www.cstsales.com/How_to_Arti...rbonRodApp.htm

The differences I'm making are from the spar forward around the leading edge I'll sheet with 1/16" balsa, top and bottom, i.e D-tube. The ailerons will be fully sheeted as well. The spar is .030 CF and will go to the tip. The last 3" of the tip will have no ribs and be a balsa sandwich. This allows sanding the tip to a taper and attaching the thowing peg to the rear of the CF spar. I'm using a SD7080 airfoil.

The planform is 7.5" at the root and 4" at the tip, with a taper very similar to the SuperGeeII.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...SuperGeeII.htm

The tails will be balsa with very light glass and the planform the same as the SuperGeeII.

The fuselage boom is a G-Force tapered CF tube from:
https://www.cstsales.com/Carbon/carbon-tubes.htm

The forward fuselage is very similar to this but my dimensions will be slightly different due to radio gear being installed.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...r_fusetail.htm

That's about it, any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I'm just finished up with all the planning and am cutting ribs now.

Curtis
Helena, Montana
suterc@msn.com
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2004, 03:12 PM
ADDICTED TO LIFT
Connecticut
Joined Jan 2003
361 Posts
Curtis,

The Apogee is an underrated model in my opinion and really represents a lightweight solution to all flyers that have ZERO interest in foam.

You rarely have to play with epoxy...

You can use traditional building methods..

The Model is far prettier than most.

I'm building a couple of DLG's - A Super Gee and A "Simple" Super Gee and when I look at the Apogee I wish I had built another one of those! My Old Apogee was a Solid winged 40 with Polyhedral. I replaced it with an Art Hobby Colibre. The Apogee had close to disintegrated many times but is a very rebuildable model.

Post some images when you have a chance....

Glider34
Old Mar 05, 2004, 04:16 PM
wintergarden-orlando florida/brighton england
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
damit now i want one of them to.i would like to do the allmolded thing though it looks like a real nice ship.any one got a cnc mill

glider34 what did your solid wing consist of ive done some larger solid wings but the only small one i did flew like a bag o sh1te.i saw somone that had done a wing witch had a balsa d box then foam the rest of the way which looked quite good. did you cut any holes in it? lastly when i do my solid wings i make templat for root and tip then just eye ball it and start carveing(the wing was 2.2m span) and they came out quite good but u cold never call it an exact airofoil what method do you use?
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
Old Mar 05, 2004, 04:45 PM
ADDICTED TO LIFT
Connecticut
Joined Jan 2003
361 Posts
Charlieuk,

My Apogee wing was made out of 5-6lb "C" grain 1/4" sheet. I sanded it with a dewalt power "palm" sander. Hardwood LE. I used Nitrate Dope thinned 50/50 and Microbaloons to secure the wingbolt. No covering....Just Wood.

Glider34

PS. I may build one
Old Mar 05, 2004, 05:57 PM
wintergarden-orlando florida/brighton england
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
fare enuf must be nice doing it with the e parm sander ive always had to do mine just with a manual parm sander which sucks.might have to give it a go if i can get it nice i could always take a mold from it i ges?
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
Old Mar 05, 2004, 11:18 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
Hi everyone,

Well, thanks for the input, I've certainly got a lot of things now to look at and learn *so much learning*. Going to have to see if I can find some CF rods, not exactly a common item around here (Outback Australia).

Paul.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 11:35 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
If you do decide to build a Bug, take a look at the yahoo discussion group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Mar 06, 2004, 10:23 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
I think that I'm going to go with something like the Gambler, really looks like my kind of style.

Now, the trick for me is to scratch some plans out :-D (then crash a few times, complain about poor design a few times, fix, rebuild... repeat).

Paul
Old Mar 06, 2004, 11:07 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Airfoil selection in a balsa SAL/DLG is very tricky. I tried several on the Gambler before I settled on the S3021. The Drela foils are better, but even his balsa ones were too thin for me at 1.25 meters. If you build a 1.5 meter plane they'll be a great choice.

Start small, like with a bug, then work up in size. The larger your span gets, the more challenging it is to keep balsa from blowing apart on launch. I think you'll find that your best friend is carbon fiber iron-on ribbon and/or CF cloth applied judiciously to your wing's D-tube.

Allan Wright - Gambler designer

P.S. I've shipped Gamblers to Australia and New Zealand. Delivery time is a couple weeks airmail and 7 weeks surface mail. Plans and CF ribbon only can be mailed Global Priority and get there quicker.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright