HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2001, 06:28 AM
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
220 Posts
Any one have experience with Dare Design & Engineering A-10?

Since GWS A-10 is starting to look like a nogo in USA..thanks HH..anyone have experience with this little plane. their web site really doesnt tell you anything..hand launch, speed, etc. I dont own any edf and am looking for my first, and i want one that i can fly with GWS flite pack..since i have several [i know i will need better esc]. Just looking for any comment on product.

thanks

asr
ramw5p is offline Find More Posts by ramw5p
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2001, 08:38 AM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
ramw5p, cannot tell you how it flies, but I can tell you the design looks very nice and easy to build. I look at one the other day in the Hobby shop and it looks like it would be a nice flyer.
J Bergsmith is offline Find More Posts by J Bergsmith
Old Dec 15, 2001, 05:34 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
Dare A-10

I remember there being lots of discussion of the micro A-10s about a year or so ago, but it's sort of died down since then.

Some important things to remember about the plane (I haven't built one myself but followed the discussions at the time):
1) The KP-44s must be set up in series, so on a 7 cell pack they each see about 3.5 volts. Some people were burning up the motors on 8 cell packs or maybe it was at the beginning of the run, hot off the charger when voltage is highest. The solution seemed to be a new motor. The Johnson 180 was disgussed but hard to come by. so someone started using the Kyosho DMC20BB motors and that seemed to fix the problem but the cell count had to be increased to 9 or 10 cells (600AEs or 500As). Go to www.electricjetfactory.com, they sell this motor with the fan unit and call it the EDF200 Turbo. Dare also sells the fan unit for this plane, but the price in the hobby shop I saw was 40 bucks for one unit and motor. I'd go with the EJF (electric jet factory) option. Who wants to burn up motor after motor?

2) Don't remember if this was discussed much but a inlet lip of some sort would be a good idea on the fan, it would help increase thrust at low speeds. Some people were making a slit in fuel tubing and sliding it on the leading edge of the fan housing. You could also make one from balsa or foam, even built a whole nacelle.

I think flight speed was about 35 to 40 mph, maybe faster. I know that a Zagi hot off the charger on 8 x 600AEs does about 40mph.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Dec 16, 2001, 10:16 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Check the videos on the Electric Jet Factory; has video for the Micro as well as the Mini and Large A-10s!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb