HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2001, 02:19 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2001
416 Posts
Drag Reduction with Control Surface Tiplets

I havenít seen any aircraft, either models or full-size, having fin-like winglets at the ends of control surfaces to help contain the wasted (vortex) flow around the ends of the deflected surface. Wouldn't this increase effective span of the control surface, enabling smaller surfaces, reduced drag?

Aren't models more sensitive to this "flow wastage," i.e. greater % of total flow lost around the ends due to Reynolds / scale effect? Or is it just not that detrimental at any scale? If there is a meaningful aerodyn benefit, what's the offsetting performance, cost, structural, etc issue?..... I must be missing something basic.
green66 is offline Find More Posts by green66
to remove ads between posts